It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

court tells man to wear sex offender t-shirt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Russell Teeter ,69, who twice indecently exposed himself to a 10 year old girl pleaded guilty to two counts on friday.
A Delaware judge ordered the man to wear a t-shirt with the words "I am a registered sex offender" in bold letters, said a prosecutor

today.reuters.co.uk
Deputy Attorney General Donald Roberts said he requested the unusual T-shirt punishment because he was concerned about Teeter exposing himself to children at the gardening business he runs with his wife.

"This is a unique way to let his customers know that he is a sex offender," Roberts told Reuters.

Teeter, who has 30 days to appeal the sentence, will have to wear the T-shirt at work for 22 months after he gets out of jail.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is'nt it about time all sex offenders wear made to wear these t-shirts, i thank god for that delaware Judges decision and hope futher would be offenders will be put off by this.

But on another note this i say does not go far enough, but thats another thread.

All in support raise your HANDS. ?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
That is an awesome idea,and I am all for it.These people need to be made aware of.I still believe that if you are a child molester, you should be castrated.To lust after children is very sick.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Applause for the judge!

Well deserved punishment.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
this sounds like a good idea until you do something wrong and have a shirt made for you. remember the holocaust?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I disagree. I think this is a bad idea.

I am all about locking these monsters up. Frankly, some of them should be locked up and the key disposed off. But this is the wrong way to approach it. This will create more problems for everyone involved, rather than solve them. You can point the finger and say I am advocating the rights of these monsters, but I'm not. I just believe this should of been handled in a different manner. Stiffer punishments, tracking devices, daily checks, random searches, supervision, etc., are all plausible answers.

Making these people wear a shirt indicating their offenses is a blatant attempt to disturb the peace and could possibly place children at risk.

This works both ways, but we should not be quick to rush the judge with gifts. He has solved nothing, just opened the door to other problems.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Cool Idea.

Why don,t we have ones for murderers,burglars.wife beaters,corporate swindlers..

Heck why not have one for Jews and Homosexuals too.. Oh wait.. someone did that once. now WHAT was his name again..

BTW what,s to stop him wearing a Jumper over it?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm not sure it's a good idea, either. At his age, there could be organic reasons for his behavior and I don't know if the court took that into account or if it applies.

Sex offenders are required to do quite a lot already to notify the public of their whereabouts and while in this particular case, it might seem like justice, I'm not sure that it is or that it will accomplish what the judge intends.

I guess I'd have to know more.

[edit on 2006/11/5 by GradyPhilpott]

CX

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I think this is a bad idea, depending on the case

I spent many years looking after children who had suffered major amounts of abuse throughout thier early years, as a result some of these grew up thinking this was the norm and subsequently abused others given the chance. To a few, this was thier idea of communicating as thats the way thier abusers had commincated with them in the past.

Would i make those kids wear a t-shirt saying they were sex offenders? What do you think?
I have kids myself so i don't take subjects like this lightly, but to be honest i don't think they really know the best way to deal with these people yet.

Would a t-shirt stop a sex offender doing it to another kid? What the lawmakers forget is that not all kids are with thier parents all of the time, and a lot of the victims of abuse are'nt old enough to read a t-shirt slogan. How is that going to stop a sex offender.

I think every case should be dealt with individually. Some of these offenders need lots of therapy, some need taking off the streets instead of giving them a t-shirt.

Some i would quite willingly pull the trigger myself. I have sat in a police interview room listening to a double child rapist/murderer describe what he had done as if he had just popped down the shops for some milk. He was'nt fussed at all.

Unfortunately, we can say hang these people, or give them the help they urgently need, at the end of the day, theres still many victims out there which the government forgets about. I've seen sex offenders get more rights, protection and help than their victims, and that i feel is dead wrong.

CX.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
i bet you theres kids wearing these shirts to school already somewhere

theres also the deal about people beating him up an/or Killing him or his family members becuz he wears this shirt. i mean thats not a bright way to fix a problem.... now the next time some kid gets abused people might beat up thinking they did it.

[edit on 5-11-2006 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I don't agree with this either, they're basically putting a big sign on him saying "PLEASE BEAT ME UP". Either that or people will think he's wearing it for a stupid joke or something.

And i'm also totally against castrating people. As someone mentioned, their actions may have been caused by a treatable mental condition and it's not fair to castrate someone because of that. What if he was successfully treated for his mental problems and went on to live a normal life then wanted to have kids? His life's a bit ruined there isn't it?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Seriously, this is a VERY GOOD punishment... Humiliation for the offender and safety for the public. This is one awesome judge!

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Now I do appreciate funny and it is quite funny so the attorney and judge get props for that, but I think like others have said the harm out weighs the good.

Heaven forbid someone is falsely convicted, made to wear a similar shirt and then beaten to death...of course two weeks later they'll realize he was innocent which is the way of things usually.

Convicted sex offenders have to register and the community they move into is usually informed that a pedophile has moved into their neighborhood. So the t-shirt (again as stated by others) would only prove to disrupt the peace.

Then again if you don't want to be ridiculed and shunned you shouldn't diddle the kinder.

I know he just exposed himself but these tend to be crimes that escalate so it's highly possible that it was only a matter of time before he did something worse, or perhaps this is just the first time he got caught doing something like this.

He could have been expousing himself and messing with kids for decades before he was caught.

If you really want to punish a pedophile make him live in an old folks home.

IMO of course.

Spiderj

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Seriously, this is a VERY GOOD punishment... Humiliation for the offender and safety for the public. This is one awesome judge!

Safety for the public? How? Are we naive enough to believe that a T-Shirt is going to be the answer to our problems?

This is nothing more than a case of vengeance. Last I checked, it didn't solve anything. It may taste good, but resolves nothing.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Will someone please think of the children!!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
We need to start printing T-shirts for Bush. Lots of em.

new topics

top topics

join