It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sacks Iraq corruption watchdog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Stuart Bowen, a Republican lawyer in Iraq, has exposed many instances of corruption in the reconstruction efforts there. Now, secreted in the fine print of a huge military authorization bill, his job has been abolished, to the astonishment of those on both sides of the partisan divide who thought he was doing a good job.

www.sfgate.com
Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, who followed the bill closely as chairwoman of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs, says that she still does not know how the provision made its way into what is called the conference report, which reconciles differences between House and Senate versions of a bill.

Neither the House nor the Senate version contained such a termination clause before the conference, all involved agree.

"It's truly a mystery to me," Collins said. "I looked at what I thought was the final version of the conference report, and that provision was not in at that time. ... The one thing I can confirm is that this was a last-minute insertion," Collins said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Despite denials, the secrecy with which this has been done suggests very clearly that powerful lobbying groups have managed to take steps to remove a thorn in the side of those companies treating Iraq reconstruction projects as cash cows. It states later in the story that the termination of Bowen's office was inserted into the bill by aides working for "House Armed Services Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine (San Diego County), who said on Monday that he plans to run for president in 2008." This guy obviously bears close inspection as he is clearly not above assisting corruption among his corporate pals.

Bowen's office currently has 55 auditors and inspectors working in Iraq, and has produced over 300 reports, a very respectable productivity rate. Now, because of one corrupt Chairman, this experienced labour pool and its infrastructure is to be disbanded.

Let's hope that efforts to reverse this legislation are successful.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Considering the scope of corruption, mismanagement and out and out theft that has gone on is the so-called Iraqi reconstruction and a large part of it by tried and true Republican/Bush/Cheney friends and cronies it really isn't any surprise. When the actual scope of this scam/boondoggle finally hits home with the American public heads will roll. So of course the Republicans in control of congress want to sweep this under the rug.

"I am shocked...shocked to see corruption going on in Iraq! Here's your kickback congressman!"

my apologies to Carl Raines and Casablanca.

[edit on 5-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Looks like it's going to be kind of a busy newsday, what with Saddam's verdict and all... just in time for the mid-terms, of course. I rather hope that this important piece of news doesn't get swept under the carpet by the MSM.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
And so Stuart Bowen and his crew of auditors goes the way of Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neil, General Eric Shinseki, Bunantine Greenhouse, and all the other skeptics, critics, and whistleblowers who have dared to stand in the way of the Bush Administration juggernaut.

These people are heroes to me, people of conscience who stood up for decency and common sense, who had the moral integrity to speak out against the wasteful spending, poor planning, and outright corrupt practices of the people in power in our federal government.

The fact that they have been swept aside, and their voices ignored, speaks volumes about the deliberate efforts of the Bush Administration to silence the opposition, no matter how valid the concerns raised, nor how disastrous for the nation the course pursued.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Check THIS out!

Mad Cow Morning News does it again! It's the top ten reasons to go "dunkin' with Duncan"! At no. 7 we have...

7. Can Teach Us “Chutzpah for Gentiles”

He’s currently under investigation by the FBI for helping loot the U.S. Treasury of as much as $190 million for Defense contracts the Pentagon never asked for, and didn’t want.

The money went to ADCS instead of projects for the Army's UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter, Air Force bases, and a parts center in Oklahoma, according to the report by the Pentagon inspector general, prompted by a request from a Defense official.

So, what’s he do? Announce that he's... resigning?

No way, Jose... he’s running for President! In his speech, Duncan got serious for a moment… “You know, 26 years ago, I campaigned as a candidate for Congress on this waterfront. And in this harbor, there were ships that couldn't sail, Navy ships, and in our carrier air wings, there were aircraft that couldn't fly because of lack of spare parts.”

If that’s not chutzpah, we don’t know what is! Go Dunk Go!

The man is an awesome corruption king. No surprises, then, that he is involved in this extremely questionable piece of legislation. Say hello to the next President!

new topics

top topics

join