It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geometry - The Religion Giver?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The biggest determining factor of the worlds and of a person’s religion is geometry.

It's obvious to everyone that certain countries and regions on the planet have allegiances to one religion or other. It's also pretty obvious that the line between the geometry of religions can be very narrow. (Isn't it?)

Living within a few miles of a border, national or otherwise, can make all the difference to the religion a child is brought up in, and with. Born a mile apart in Northern Ireland, the border of India and Pakistan, China and Tibet, Palestine and Israel, many states in the US and different sectors of the Middle East to name a few can see a child raised with utter conviction in one religion, and a mile over another child raised with the same conviction for another.

A child born in deepest Afghanistan to family of devout hard line Muslims, if adopted by a equally fundamental Christian family as a baby with no knowledge of its roots will most likely grow up with the beliefs of its adopted family, and vice versa.

Unless, of course, they choose their own path.

Which is partly my point. How many people actually choose their belief system from their own informed choice, and how many because that's the religion they were brought up with and taught?

Devout believers in every fundamental belief, of every religion, View their own as the most righteous, the simplest, the purest, and something everyone else would realise if they just converted and gave themselves to it.

Are we condemned/saved merely by our place of birth? By our communities, churches, and families? Our geometry?

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
*Bump*

For no reason.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Thought I'd give it another spin.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Well, it depends on how one looks at it. It is quite foolish to think that one religion is better than another.

I feel you are probably one of those people like me, who made their own decisions, but I could be wrong.

I was, like many people, raised within a certain religion because thats just the way it is. Christianity, is what we called it. After a period of time, I began to see the flaws in it, or rather the stuff that the the religion doesn't talk about or address. So over many years, I just quit listening to preachers and start listening to my inner voice in absolute sincerity, then I get a true form of spirituality that agrees with the basis for many religions - not just the one I was born into.

Now for those that didn't think for themselves, they will probably come here and argue with you about why they are right and it being God's will that they were born in a Godly place or something, but that is another story.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
You miss the point. My point is the biggest factor determining someone's religion is exactly where on the planet they are born and grow up.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
You miss the point. My point is the biggest factor determining someone's religion is exactly where on the planet they are born and grow up.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by kegs]

Well I would throw a few more factors into the mix - like as you said parental pressures, peer pressures but you are entirely correct in saying that the biggest would be where you live and grow.

So how can anyone say with total conviction that their religious beliefs are any truer than anyone elses when their religion has been, in effect, forced upon them.

G

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
music is my religion
and
LOVE is my God...

i do gently force it upon others
not to give
but just to receive

beliefs be what they may
i can still love and sing and dance
so i do

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
music is my religion
and
LOVE is my God...

i do gently force it upon others
not to give
but just to receive

beliefs be what they may
i can still love and sing and dance
so i do

I love music and life too, and I dance. Thing is I can do it without a crutch.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
numbers are the universal language of creation.

numbers are the only thing that can be used to create measurements of 'reality', or more simply, time. example, it took 6 hours to drive there. I measured reality and put it into 6 portions, first to last.

so if we made contact with intelligent life in space, the only language we'd both understand would be numbers. And even then, the intelligent life prbably has its own set of words for the numbers. If we figured out how they communicate numbers and vice versa, we'd have a pretty solid foundation to further pursue communications.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs

Not true at all. A person makes a personal decision in a 'free society' such as the USA, Canada, Australia, European countries as to what religion they're goin to follow.

Every friend of mine who went to private school that was paid for by their parents and of a christian flavor made the taste of it so sour to these kids that it turned them against christianity and monotheism.

Furthermore, I had the opposite of a christian upbringing, attended regular school, never went to church, etc. For many years if you wouldve asked me, I wouldve probably denied the existance of a One God. So in my case, Me & Religion hit it off together by ourselves, there was no introduction to it by family, friends, missionaries, or private school curriculums & employees.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang

Not true at all. A person makes a personal decision in a 'free society' such as the USA, Canada, Australia, European countries as to what religion they're goin to follow.

Every friend of mine who went to private school that was paid for by their parents and of a christian flavor made the taste of it so sour to these kids that it turned them against christianity and monotheism.

Furthermore, I had the opposite of a christian upbringing, attended regular school, never went to church, etc. For many years if you wouldve asked me, I wouldve probably denied the existance of a One God. So in my case, Me & Religion hit it off together by ourselves, there was no introduction to it by family, friends, missionaries, or private school curriculums & employees.

Yeah.. that was also part of the point. If someone has the chance and encouragement to think for themselves in a strict religious "code" environment they rarely follow the ingrained beliefs of their surroundings. If they do not have the opportunities of say.."private schools" and are indoctrinated from day one, it's a different story.

People can of course find religion by themselves. Good luck with that. That's a different story.

Of course it's not applicable to every single person on the planet. Of course not everyone and everywhere has religious elements to their definition of child rearing. The problem is, many places do. It's fundamentalism I'm addressing. Fundamentalist indoctrination often places the children, when they grow up, at odds with others in very similar situations but where the only difference is the religion they have been "brought up" in. The factor that divides them in the first instance is the religion, but this is based soley on the chance of their birth in a general geographic location.

new topics

top topics

join