It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite or UFO?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
A couple weeks ago my sisters boyfriend and I spotted a light moving horizontally and thought nothing of it until it stopped in mid flight, and then proceeded to advance vertically. It then spun around at which time I could see a red light, and then disappeared behind the clouds. Now i've never seen any UFO or satellite before, and i'm just curious if what i've seen is a satellite so I know for next time. Anyone know if what I saw was just a satellite?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Satellites are in orbit, so they don't tend to 'stop' or even change direction.
They don't have any lights that are visible from earth, either.

Think back and try to remember.
How fast would you think it was moving?
Very fast, fast, slow, very slow.

Was it right 'above' you, or near the horizon?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:33 AM
link   
From your description i would guess it was either a UFO or a helicopter.

Could you hear anything coming from the object?

sanc

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
From your description i would guess it was either a UFO or a helicopter.

Yeah, That was my first impression. Depending on the speed and distance it was I would guess it to be a helicopter.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Could you hear anything coming from the object?

No there was no sound coming from the object

How fast would you think it was moving?

Actually it was moving at about the same speed a helicopter would be, but the light was too round and big, and it ascended vertically too fast to be a helicopter. It was also pretty close to us. We were on the dock on our waterfront, and I just happened to notice it floating along in the open sky. So i'd say it was moving about at the "slow speed"

[edit on 5-11-2006 by 1Crisis]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I think you saw beavis. . .

Good luck with that. . .

1-liners in this forum are getting out of hand.

[edit on 5-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
[sarcasm]
Coulda been Santa out trying out his new stealth sleigh and Reindeer. I hear he's getting tired of being tracked by F-22's every December 24th.[/sarcasm]

Ok, most likely, it was either a high-flying airplane, or a helicopter. By the way, where were you when you saw this? It could have been a new type of experimental aircraft if it was near a military base. Then again, where isn't there a military base?

TheBorg

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

it was either a high-flying airplane

Well first off it wasn't "high" and 2nd there was too much light being emmitted from the source to be an airplane. I've seen many airplanes in the sky and this one had no red flashing signal light, and I couldn't even see the shape of the craft, I mostly saw a ball of light.

or a helicopter

I'm pretty positive it wasn't a helicopter, again there was way too much light, and there was no sound. If I had to ballpark the height of the craft i'd say it was about 1500 yards in the sky.

where were you when you saw this?

I was in Old Town Silverdale, in Washington. I was on the dock of the waterfront, and I was heading back to the car when I noticed that this light I saw suddenly stopped and hovered there for about 3 minutes.

I think you saw beavis

I'm not sure that comment helps my situation at all.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
my brother saw something like this aswell this was in exeter though. i have a video of it but i cant make out what it was they sw 8 of them al together they gold with red flashing lights. it was moving upwards and zig zigzaging around.
is this similar to what to what u saw?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis
Actually it was moving at about the same speed a helicopter would be, but the light was too round and big, and it ascended vertically too fast to be a helicopter.

with out external reference points , it is incredibly hard to acuratly guage range to target at night

an illumited aircraft / helicopter " floating " in a black sky , is the worsrt possible object to attempt to range

IMHO - a rational explaination is that a perfectly mundane helicopter flew towards you , while excecuting a climb

as you cannot guage the range of it - you naturally assume that you are seeing only climb , ignoring the fact that it is raplidly closing the distance to you

this diagram explains everything :

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Satellites don't stop, spin around, and "advance vertically" after moving horizontally. Therefore, it wasn't a satellite.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   

is this similar to what to what u saw?

No thats not similiar to what I saw. The first time I looked at the object it just seemed like an airplane to me. After only about 15 steps had I noticed that it wasn't moving. It never zigzagged, and wasn't gold or had flashing lights.

a perfectly mundane helicopter flew towards you

The first time I saw it, it wasn't flying towards me. I was standing still and talking while the craft was infront of me moving to the left perfectly. I then turned 180 degrees and started walking back to the car while looking over my shoulder at the object and after I followed it with my eyes for a couple steps I had stopped looking at it. I then had to make a right turn to get off the dock, and that is when I noticed the same light with no differences to what I saw before except the fact that it was stationary. I then called chris over, and told him to come look at it with me. It started to ascend vertically for about 10 seconds and then made a 180 degree turn and started to continue ascending until it disappeared in the clouds. This object emmitted no sound. I've seen and heard helicopters before, and this object was too close to be not heard, considering it was a helicopter.

it wasn't a satellite

Thank You for clearing that up

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
I think you saw beavis. . .

Good luck with that. . .

What is that an acronym for a new kind of craft? Or are you trying to overwhelm us with your knowledge of the subject? or belittle the idea or even concept of the site and most of the people here...

anyways back to the subject at hand.. the behaviour described does not resemble any kind of aircraft that I know of but the rate of acceleration would also be a big factor in what is or what could be here.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Do not take this the wrong way – but I am done with this thread

Originally posted by 1Crisis

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
a perfectly mundane helicopter flew towards you
This object emmitted no sound. I've seen and heard helicopters before, and this object was too close to be not heard, considering it was a helicopter.

A minor point – you did not hear any sound , or claim not to have – that does not mean that the craft was silent

And I have now less confidence that ever about the accuracy of your range estimates .

Now i've never seen any UFO or satellite before, and i'm just curious if what i've seen is a satellite so I know for next time. Anyone know if what I saw was just a satellite?

So it begs the question , what kind of idiot thinks that satellites orbit @ 1500 yards ???

If I had to ballpark the height of the craft i'd say it was about 1500 yards in the sky.

IMHO , You are not after any kind of answer , you are just trolling till you get some one to say “ yes it was a UFO “

Well good luck …. You will need it

APE OUT

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

IMHO , You are not after any kind of answer , you are just trolling till you get some one to say “ yes it was a UFO “

Well lets see... It IS a UFO. UFO = Unidentified Flying Object. UFO does not mean extraterrestrial saucer.

A minor point – you did not hear any sound , or claim not to have – that does not mean that the craft was silent

True, but i'm not deaf, and i'm no scientist. I failed math as a kid, so i'm sorry if my accuracy of range is horrible.

So it begs the question , what kind of idiot thinks that satellites orbit @ 1500 yards ???

If you would take the time to read the rules, and terms of ATS you would see that insulting another member in such a way is frowned upon. Now like I said I'm not a scientist nor do I have any interest of being one. I've never seen a satellite in my life, and my buddy who has had a 4.0 GPA all throughout highschool also didn't know anything about satellites. I'm not an idiot, I just know nothing about satellites.

IMHO , You are not after any kind of answer

If I wasn't interested in anyones answer, then why in my original post would I ask a question? I recieved my answer, and now I know that it wasn't a satellite. This doesn't mean that the topic has to end though, I am still interested in anyone elses thoughts. Obviously I know nothing of aircraft, or space, and my reason for posting was to find out if anyone could help.

I am done with this thread

Okay thats fine. I appreciate the time you took to try and help me out with my situation, and I am sorry if I offended you. Good day

Crisis

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Well good luck …. You will need it

APE OUT

Nice post APE, I would have to agree with you. 1crisis initially asked if it was a satellite and when presented with a possible explanation for what was seen just wants to argue and refute.

Maybe someone can tell him/her that he/she saw a UFO so they get the answer they want and this thread doesn't have to continue.

Pokey Oats

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   

just wants to argue and refute

Questions were asked, and I answered them. I never intentionally argued, and i'm sorry you think that. I haven't been unpolite on this thread once, and I don't appreciate your criticism.

Maybe someone can tell him/her that he/she saw a UFO

I am a "he", and I am saying that what I have seen is in fact a "UFO". Once again what I saw was "Unidentified, "Flying", and an "Object".
Crisis

new topics

join