It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

life on mars is possible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
atl

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
life on mars is really possible because mars is basically made up of carbon dioxide so why don't we create big factories for temporarily till we cause greenhouse effect to make the planet warmer so it can deliver rain and put some water on the planet as well because we got a whole lot of water on out planet and then introduce plants on the planet so we can live there this is really possible all I wonder is why aren't scientists and countries coming closer and do this. Instead of wars and territory damn it isn’t helping us do any better.

[edit on 4-11-2006 by atl]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Atl,
I just thought I would offer you some helpful advice seeing as you are a relatively new member. The moderators and majority of members here including myself frown upon poorly written posts, your topic while interesting is written in 'text message' style which while making sense to you may not wash as well with those you are hoping to receive replies from as it may prove hard to understand for many of us.
But remember there is an edit button so all is not lost.
Enjoy ATS, it is a fascinating site but I urge you to take on board my advice
should you wish to continue posting here.
All the best,
pmexplorer

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
To get the RIGHT info on this matter i strongly suggest you visit & sign up or at least sign the petition for this site

home.marssociety.org...

plus dude,use this too;

msn-cnet.com.com...

try writing in full & not use things like "cuz" etc, its quite confusing somtimes, besides its good for the brain to spell things out correctly!

Oh & welcome aboard the ATS site

[edit on 4-11-2006 by eddie666m1980w]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There are several problems with that, atleast without using the
right technologies.

The Martian atmosphere it much thinner than ours, so yuo would
need to pump enough greenhouse gases into the atmosphere to
warm the planet, but also pump the right amount of Oxygen and
Nitrogen into the atmosphere for Terran life to survive in.

You coul'nt take the required amount of Water needed to create
an ecosystem on Mars from Earth, for two simple reasons;
1. It would destroy our own planetary ecosystem.
2. The sheer amount of water needed would require a very long
time to move.

The nwxt big problem, is that Mars has no geomagnetic activity,
so it does'nt have the Magnetic sh/field around it like the Earth,
which would allow masive radiation to hit the planet, and the
Solar wind would quickly remove the new atmosphere.
However, there is a solution to this, by towing enough asteroids
with strong enough Magnetic fields into orbit around Mars, you
could create a Magnetic field.

I recently did a more thorough post about Terraforming Mars in
another thread.

It can be found here, Mars Terraformation post.

atl

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
aight cool i feel u thts y i cahange da jawn buh i dun need ur advice cuz u lame dawg n dis to pmexplorer n da tht eddie boy talkin dude get a iespeller ya'll slow i guess thts y ya'll dun understand .

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by atl
aight cool i feel u thts y i cahange da jawn buh i dun need ur advice cuz u lame dawg n dis to pmexplorer n da tht eddie boy talkin dude get a iespeller ya'll slow i guess thts y ya'll dun understand .

and now in English please!!

[edit on 4-11-2006 by Spartannic]

atl

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
in english it mean mind your business aight buddy so i hope u getwht i'm tryin to tell

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
There are a lot of problems with your scenario for "life on Mars".

The atmosphere is too thin to support liquid water in the form of rain clouds.

Even if you were to increase the amount of carbon dioxide you would still have to add massive amounts of water to the environment in order to create rain.

OK .....let's say you do stabilize the temperature to an acceptable range for plants to survive and also to keep water from being constantly frozen..... you still have a very major problem.

Mars surface is covered with what is called regolith. It is an inert, dead composition of sands, and rocks.

There is no soil in which plants can put down roots and draw nitrogen from for food.

Earth is covered with a rich soil that is composed of decaying vegetable and animal matter which is full of the nutrients that plants need.

Mars (and our moon), cannot support plant life because you would be planting a crop basically in gravel.

It would take millions of years of growth and decay to lay down a thick enough layer of soil to support plants.

In order to plant, feed, and pollinate a crop of any kind you would have to import massive amounts of water, soil, and insects.

That would be terra-forming.

We would have to take all of those things from our Earth and ship them there and still we may end up destroying both worlds.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by atl

ATL, I think, judging by the few words I could actually decipher from above that you are implying that I am somewhat 'slow' because I find it hard to understand your poorly written postings.
No my friend, I am simply educated and if you took the time to read the site rules and ATS users handbook you will find out that attacks on other members do not go down very well here, nor do poorly written posts.
So show some respect, I took the time to read your post and offered you some advice to ensure you make the most of your time here but you would rather
ignore that advice and insinuate that other members including myself are slow.
Not very clever.

ps. don't expect too many replies if you continue typing in that style.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spartannic
and know in English please!!

That does'nt make sense, you mean "And now in English."

Sorry, I had to, since everyone else is doing it to the original poster.

I don't mention that stuff, since you never know if they're Just use
to using 'TxT speak', or if they just are'nt good at spelling.

[edit on 11/4/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
hey dude whats ur problem are u here to talk about the topic of terraforming Mars, or are u just gonna keep talking like a CPU with some errors in it???

and on the topic of Terraforming mars : I think we already have found evidence that their is no need in terraforming mars 2 make it possible for life ! Somewhere up here there are threads who discuss the subject

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
iori_komei wheres your thread & il go there,

i tried being helpful to this seemingly un-educated crum bum by giving him some links, one being for the SPELL CHECK that ATS so generously provide you when you first get started,

My excuse for any mistakes iv made is i use a wireless keyboard & sometimes the keystrokes don't get registered & i admit i sometimes don't use the spell checker but STILL, the people who read my posts can understand straight away what i mean,
this dude is just plain dumb & therefor has no excuse.

HEY DUDE do they have schools where your from & if so why didn't you go.

if you wanted to type like that why not goto an ordinary chat room like yahoo & talk sh*t

[edit on 4-11-2006 by eddie666m1980w]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I hope the Moderators look out for these people & warn them/ ban them from the site straight away,

its a complete waste of site space letting this crap go on in the first place

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
It can be found here.
Mars Terraforming Post.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
One way I read that planets are made habitable by humans is this.

First you send plants there which can survive in the extreme conditions. Then when the plants have spread everywhere you send creatures that eat those plants. Slowly you build an eco system from scratch and the eco system eventually forms a breathable atmosphere.

We could do it all from the earth by sending unmanned drones to drop the life forms there automatically.

We could also create remote controlled cyborgs to live there and do all the work of building technology or whatever. There's no need to risk one human life in order to create a perfect new world. In theory anyway?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by probedbygrays
One way I read that planets are made habitable by humans is this.

First you send plants there which can survive in the extreme conditions. Then when the plants have spread everywhere you send creatures that eat those plants. Slowly you build an eco system from scratch and the eco system eventually forms a breathable atmosphere.

We could do it all from the earth by sending unmanned drones to drop the life forms there automatically.

We could also create remote controlled cyborgs to live there and do all the work of building technology or whatever. There's no need to risk one human life in order to create a perfect new world. In theory anyway?

That is the current theory on how to Terraform planets, but that
method takes between tens of thousands to millions of years to do.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hmmmm ........... I guess nobody read my post.

NO known plants or animals can survive outside of Earth's environment.

You might build small ecological "bio-habitats", but they would never be self sustaining, nor practical on a planetary scale.

Researchers and others need to understand that evolution on Earth took billions of years. Each plant and animal has specifically adapted itself for Earth's environment, and only Earth's.

98% of the materials needed to even attempt to terraform Mars would have to come from Earth itself.

The majority of those materials are scarce resources that are needed desperately here on this planet.

We might harvest some needed materials from the target planet, but even with a planet similar to ours (like Mars), the absence of any usable biomass is a serious handicap.

We need to turn our attention to repairing the damage we have done to our own environment before we even begin to think about transforming places we may never go.

If we can reduce our populations. Get our own pollution and eco damage reversed.

Then we might look to the stars.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RecDude
........the absence of any usable biomass is a serious handicap.

We need to turn our attention to repairing the damage we have done to our own environment before we even begin to think about transforming places we may never go.

If we can reduce our populations. Get our own pollution and eco damage reversed.

Then we might look to the stars.

RecDude, I support your view, though wouldn't there be usable bio mass under the supposed once wet areas of mars?!?

Terraforming mars may very well assist the population problem - but its so many years away.

Kudos too the rovers and mro, but they really need to be sending more equipment etc to really get a feel for it eg Return samples....

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   

If we can reduce our populations...Then we might look to the stars.

I'm not for reducing the population for two reasons;
1. The more people there are, the more ideas there will be, and
more of a chance of incredibly intelligent people being around.
2. Tp decrease the population, you'd have to put controls in place,
which denies people freedom, which is immoral.

We need to go to the stars to alleviate the problems we have, with
colonies throughout the solar system and beyond, there is'nt a
population crisis.
And we could find more resources in space that we need and currently
get from the Earth, and factories and other polluting things could be
moved off-world, which would help reverse and prevent the damage
done to the environment already.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Any usable biomass found on another planet would imply that there is life in some form there.

Just because water may be present (in liquid, ice, or evaporated form), it does not in any way imply that life exists, or has ever existed, on other worlds where such water may be found.

There is water on the moon and in comets, but currently we have not found any (accepted) evidence of life on either.

Covering Mars regolith with an Earth type topsoil requires billions of years of bio processing from insects, animals, plants ect.......

You cannot take enough topsoil from Earth to create a sustainable environment anywhere on Mars. (If you attempt to ship it you also run the risk of sterilizing the soil by exposure to gamma ray, x-ray, vacuum and cold thus rendering it useless).

You might build large hydroponic factory farms though. In that case you would still need to build them to an Earth type specification, to protect the plants and animals.

It would be easier in a lot of ways to burrow into the planet than to live on the surface. We could build a colony within a 100 years. It would not sustain many people though which gets us to the other matter...........

Population..................Many on Earth would have to sacrifice a lot to sustain just a few on Mars.

Anytime that we suggest that limits be placed on consumption or population there are those that complain. They feel that they should be allowed their unbridled excesses.

With an increase in population, you do get greater competition for resources, and thus you create more creative people that wish to partake in such consumption.

The problem is in that assumes unlimited resources and thus unrestrained competition leading to smarter and smarter people.

We have a huge problem there. That is our limited resources.

Once your population reaches a certain maximum, then you also reach maximum consumption, and then intelligence may reverse itself as many, many people have to spend more time just trying to exist, and thus there is less time to educate them. That is the problem with most third world countries.

1. Too many people
2. Too few resources
3. Maximum consumption of renewable resources
4. Diversion of competition toward survival

Eventually it becomes too much cost for too little benefit.

That is why we will never create a large self -sustaining colony anywhere in space.

If we reduce our consumption. Reduce our populations. Work together as a world instead of fighting then we still probably won't do it, because if we were to achieve the other goals, then there would be no reason to leave Earth.

Let's face the facts folks. We have passed the point of maximum consumption.

From now on it will be a harder struggle for resources that continue to dwindle.

As our population increases it is a fact that the younger you are the less chance you will have of living the lifestyle of unbridled consumption for all.

The peak standard of living for mass consumption was passed in 1973.

Another fact.

As an adult I am not willing to sacrifice my portion of consumption in order to build a ship or colony for other, younger people who might wish to leave Earth.

Nope. No way. You folks are going to stay here (On Earth) and work yourself to death like the rest of us.

Dream all you wish but the reality is that even if we started building now most likely only people born in the future would get to use the results of our labor and treasure.

So are you willing to give up what you have now for someone else that is not even alive yet?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join