It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communication Skills...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Firstly i would like to say great thread, and i love your accurate take on this site.

Originally posted by symmetricAvenger
my grammar and spelling is dire

But on the other hand some people can get what i am saying and other don't.

I think my brain works faster than my fingers

so im going to shut up and flag

took out star :/ "was no star to give" meh

[edit on 18-5-2009 by symmetricAvenger]

I know what you mean, im the same! lol

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
There is a distinct difference between posters on these boards; most can communicate with finesse and good humour, putting across their viewpoint, support or objections on a subject calmly and with aplomb. These are often a pleasure to read, and can further the posters cause no end.

Then there’re those who feel compelled to harangue, inflicting upon us badly crafted, often stream-of-consciousness posts (always a minefield) wherein they feel the need to defend belligerently a strongly held belief when it is deemed to be under attack by either eloquent scepticism or outright facts to the contrary. Never a pretty sight; often aggressive and rarely coherent.

Hopefully, with as much modesty as blowing my own trumpet allows, it is apparent which camp my posts fall into, and which ones they often come up against.

That may sound like a complaint; having to contend with vehemently put, distrustful or quarrelsome opinions that can often also be accusatory and downright discourteous.

It’s not. And there is a reason why. There is frequently wheat in the chaff.

Whilst it is incorrect to criticise any posters absence of writing skills (who am I to condemn what maybe an unfortunate lack of education/dyslexia? If they admit they’re dumber than a box of hair on the other hand, then that’s another matter), I feel duty bound to defend what is often plain for all to see amongst these confused offerings; obvious and laudable passion.

Sometimes one can read a poorly written post and just feel an honesty and fervour for a subject matter bubbling up through what could well be a monstrous jumble of words.

Then it does not matter that the poster does not have the vocabulary to express themselves adequately, as if they have managed to articulate an opinion well enough that it goes on to prompt a reaction in the reader, then surely that sentence, with all of its faults, is as good as any other.

What they have done is to express themselves successfully.

And therein is the difference.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
An excellent post, Beamish and a great reminder that vocab and grammar do not a lesser poster make. One addition to your citation of possible lesser education/dyslexia is that of the likely more common 'non English Native'. There are many here who have English as a second language whom are here to participate just as everyone else is.

Originally posted by Beamish
What they have done is to express themselves successfully.

And therein is the difference.

And what a difference it is. Funny that you mention it, as well, because I have a disclaimer in real life when I just can't help but correct someone's grammar, which is, "I understood what you meant so regardless your communication was a successful one".

Based on the above, I think it relevant to point out that we as posters likely have expectations of what how we would like other posters to respond to what we type. These expectations are not inclusive of an accurate assessment of other people's expression.

With practice, it is possible to discern the intent/motivation of a poster just by reading there posts and looking at sentence structure, words chosen and the context (how it corrolates with the post/point being responded to).

Looking at the intent/motivation of the post could go a long way in helping you decide how to respond and once you have this mindset, the trollish posts stick out like a sore thumb and become immensly less important.

Thanks for the post Beamish...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

One addition to your citation of possible lesser education/dyslexia is that of the likely more common 'non English Native'.

Whilst I have seen some beautifully crafted posts from non English speakers, unfortunately there is a somewhat dangerous perspective through which to view this particular disclaimer of having little English; couldn’t some posters just blame their poor writing skills on a lack of English, when in reality they are English speaking?

(If this is the case, then it could well indicate one of two things, which I’ll come back to.)

Example; how often have we seen posters defending their writing skills with this explanation, but then they go on to construct English language sentences correctly - proper structure, word order and even correct tense – but with glaring spelling mistakes, no capitalisation and lazy punctuation? Don’t foreign languages demand them too?

When that happens, for me, little padded alarm bells ring. The possibility cannot be ignored that they are English but lying about it.

Obviously it is near impossible to prove otherwise, and slightly obsessive to pursue, but it has to be acknowledged that if they are trying to cover their lack of written refinement with an untruth, then what else will they lie about? (How many languages are spoken in the hoaxer/troll nation, by the way?)

There is another probability; that the sheer amount of quality writing on these boards is being perceived as the norm, and that anything else might be unacceptable. We all know where I stand on that. Not everyone can, or even think they should, sound like they swallowed Roget’s and Webster’s for breakfast.

With practice, it is possible to discern the intent/motivation of a poster just by reading there posts and looking at sentence structure, words chosen and the context (how it corrolates with the post/point being responded to).

In creative writing, there is a delightful term; “Tofu Syndrome”, wherein the writer will absorb all and sundry feedback and apply it to their work (as tofu absorbs flavours) as if it where their own. It can also be called “thanks-sucker-for-giving-me-material-with-which-to-draw-you-in”, and relates directly to this:

Looking at the intent/motivation of the post could go a long way in helping you decide how to respond and once you have this mindset, the trollish posts stick out like a sore thumb and become immensly less important.

I have to admit that I quite enjoy engaging trolls.

I’ll clarify that; not the ones who post mindless drivel, rather those interesting individuals who expound their beliefs antagonistically or with such profound conviction that it nearly takes the breath away (shouting does that). They, after all, have an opinion too and once you’ve gotten past the defensive façade that most trolls erect, it is relatively entertaining, and quite refreshing, to see that they have opinions as genuine as one’s own.

Others I crush with a big dictionary.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
First I would like to Say that I an very impressed with this site,it is like nothing I have ever seen.It's like one prodigious arena of information.Really,this site is the first site I have ever been on that take the time to teach you something, every site has rule that you read;but that is where it starts and ends.

I already see the potential just in this thread;the way to respond and compose a response to a post is beneficial to all. I will surely use that formula,It can only improve by using it.

I only have 2 post because I want to learn all I can so when I do interact with the board fully my posts,avatar,etc will conform along with the board.

Thank you for your efforts.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I have to say, I came to this site mostly for something to do online.

When I originally joined, I was still having a lot of issues dealing with people. I've over come that now, in part to a large degree due to ATS. The more I learned about the topics I was talking about, the better I was able to talk about it. Carried it over in real life.

Can't tell from my posts here, but I'm a pretty big clown and cut up most of the time.
The main thing I worry about here, is making a fool out of myself, or come off as a jack's mule.
Not something I do very well, I'm afraid, but I'm still working on it.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I definitely feel that my communications skills have improved tremendously since I started posting on this site. I also feel that I have managed to mellow out some. I'm not very good at developing personal relationships here, and I should probably work on this since I do feel like I have found a community where I belong, where I can find the kind of discussions that take place here that are seemingly hard to find outside of this atmosphere.

Even when I sharply disagree with the comments of another, I always try to have something to contribute, try to find something intelligent to say. I find it very frustrating that so many feel they can claim a position without bothering to back it up with logic and reason. When I feel that I am getting flamed, I often flame back, but try to do so with a sense of humor, even though I can be a bit too harsh at times. This is something I need to continue to improve.

What I find most frustrating is those who simply use debating techniques to throw the discussion off, and refuse to concede when strong points have been made against their position. Those who seem to want only to put out their point of view, and never to consider that they might be wrong, or have serious flaws in their logic, often tend to try and throw a thread off course.

Still I try to read through a thread, and make a contribution to what is being said. That is what I think is most important.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

MemoryShock-

I'm a new member- joined in early May. I delight in the conversations I've had on so many topics- and then i ventured into new territory- to find my opinions shredded- despite my language, which was designed to thwart ill-will and encourage dialogue.

How do you recommend I deal with such a situation?

Thick skin? Have it. But I was called a racist because I stated I believed Israel had a right to exist as a nation. By three people! I left the thread, wrote a message to a mod, and have not returned. I want to continue to post here- to express myself, and to learn from the many people here who know what I don't- or who share a differing view.
But- do I not have the right, also, to express myself- if it harms no one?

Your advice is eagerly anticipated.

Peace,

CultureD

EDIT: to say (as I have in many posts) that I have a spinal injury that makes my hands numb after too much typing- and is generally when I log off, to rest. Usually I share that, or edit my posts, but sometimes I don't edit in time - and I'm certain I'm viewed as someone who should not be taken seriously. It's getting old- I'm a WRITER for goodness sake- and use different software for long projects- and it's why I left bio labs (among other reasons I won't tire you with), but can someone please make a statement that not all typos are due to laziness, but Reflexive Sympathetic Dystrophy? Thank you.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by CultureD]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join