It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merry Christmas ACLU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It's that time of year again!

When sending out Christmas cards this year don't forget the ACLU!

ACLU
125 Broad Street
18th Floor
New York, NY 10004

Remember none of this "Happy Holidays" Barbara Striesand. Make sure it is a religious as possible and says "Merry Christmas".

The ACLU received over 100,000 cards last year. Lets make it quite a bit more this year!

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Geez, The War on Christmas comes earlier and earlier every year!

I mean, it's not even Thanksgiving yet!

Well, we have a tradition in my house. The War on Christmas doesn't start until two days after Thanksgiving (the day after Thanksgiving we shop).

[edit on 4-11-2006 by curme]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Geez, The War on Christmas comes earlier and earlier every year!

More like the War on Diversity... The "war on Christmas" only exists in the imagination.

Besides... Snopes has a little something to say about this "brilliant scheme"...

As a call to action, the scheme this article proposes (i.e., flooding the ACLU with Christmas cards) has several serious flaws:

* It is based on the ERRONEOUS assumption that the ACLU engaged in litigation and related tactics to pressure businesses and other entities into dropping the use of the word "Christmas" in favor of non-religious references during the holiday season. This was not the case.

* The ACLU headquarters on Broad Street in New York is quite well-staffed, and they could easily divert resources to temporary Christmas-card opening duty in the mailroom for a few weeks without "freezing their operations" in the process.
Above all, perhaps, one might consider whether engaging in deliberate deception and attempting to sabotage an organization's operations over a chimera isn't the antithesis of what Christmas (and Christianity itself) is supposed to be about.

Last updated: 30 August 2006

So go ahead and spend your money for the cards and stamps. I'm sure Hallmark and the Postal Service will love you for it... But the ACLU won't mind a bit getting so many good wishes!

And Merry Christmas! (And I really mean it.)

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's barely November, muchless Thanksgiving. I wonder how many attacks on Christmas, and on Christmas attackers
, there will be this year?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I really don't view this as a "scheme." I view it as a show of support for Christmas.
I admire the Snopes website, and have used it in the past to battle stupid E-Mails. But I think they blew this one a little out of proportion.

It's like writing your congressmen, it doesn't change their minds, but it lets them know what you are thinking. If it inconviences them just a little it is worth it!

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
If it inconviences them just a little it is worth it!

That's the Christmas spirit!

Mind telling me why you think the ACLU is against Christmas or whatever it is that you think about them?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If it inconviences them just a little it is worth it!

That's the Christmas spirit!

Mind telling me why you think the ACLU is against Christmas or whatever it is that you think about them?

i think all you need to do to get that answer is to start watching the o'reilly factor over the next few weeks...

i know it will probably pain you to watch it, but it will explain everything to you

the American Civil Liberties Union

what's so wrong with that?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i think all you need to do to get that answer is to start watching the o'reilly factor over the next few weeks...

I couldn't stomach it, I'm afraid.
I want news stories.... You know facts, not O'Reilly's opinion. I want to know specifically what the ACLU has done regarding Christmas that has people's panties in such a twist about them.

Oh, and I want sources. If that's not too much to ask...

How the ACLU DIDN'T Steal Christmas

Of course, there is no "Merry Christmas" lawsuit, nor is there any ACLU litigation about U.S. currency, military chaplains, etc. But the facts are not important to these groups, because their real message is this: By protecting the freedom of Muslims, Jews, and other non-Christians through preventing government entanglement with religion, the ACLU is somehow infringing on the rights of those with majority religious beliefs.

I couldn't have said it better.

As part of our justice mission, we work hard to protect the rights of free religious expression for all people, including Christians. For example, we recently defended the First Amendment rights of a Baptist minister to preach his message on public streets in southern Indiana. The ACLU intervened on behalf of a Christian valedictorian in a Michigan high school, which agreed to stop censoring religious yearbook entries, and supported the rights of Iowa students to distribute Christian literature at their school.

Hello? Original Poster??? What's your beef with the ACLU? Why do you wish to "inconvenience them"?

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
benevolent, i couldn't stomach it for very long either

o'reilly is just a root cause of the perception that there is a war on christmas

the more people that believe it, the more ratings he gets, the more ratings he gets, the more that people believe it

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You know, was'nt there a thread exactly like this one, with
the same idea proposed last year?

I disaprove of inindating the ACLU with useless mail, espe-
cially when they have much better na dimportant things to do.

That said, I do disaprove of trying to force people to not
use the words Merry Christmas, or Halloween, or celebrate
holidays.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
You know, was'nt there a thread exactly like this one, with
the same idea proposed last year?

If I remember correctly, yes, there was.

That said, I do disaprove of trying to force people to not
use the words Merry Christmas, or Halloween, or celebrate
holidays.

I do, too! That's an infringement of Freedom of Speech. I just want to know where people got the idea that the ACLU is doing this... (okay, ASIDE from Mr. O'Reilly)

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hey, just for good measure, include a spring mechanism and some baking soda in the card! Just don't mention the word 'anthrax'. Sure, maybe you'll scare the daylights out of some liberal kook, but what are they going to do, indict you for mailing someone baking soda?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

When sending out Christmas cards this year don't forget the ACLU!

Thats quite nice of you. I am sure that they appreciate the thoughtfulness. Nothing like spreading holiday cheer and encouraging good will torwards men, thats what its all about.

southern_cross3
but what are they going to do, indict you for mailing someone baking soda?

They'll arrest you for terrorism, because thats what doing that would be.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Merry Christmas ACLU! May the Lord Jesus Christ watchover and protect your families.

new topics

top topics

join