It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient "Phoenix" Virus Resurrected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
A team of french scientists have resurrected an ancient retro virus which used to infect our ancestors millions of years ago.
The virus actually resides in our human genome,where it was "locked away"in the long distant past. The reborn virus was observed as it infected human cells and replicated.
Although this particular virus is not dangerous to us,it raises the possibility of a more dangerous future scenario,where a deadly virus could be re awakened.

sciencenow.sciencemag.org
In a controversial study, researchers have resurrected a retrovirus that infected our ancestors millions of years ago and now sits frozen in the human genome. Published online by Genome Research this week, the study may shed new light on the history of these genomic intruders, as well as their role in tumors. Although this particular virus, dubbed Phoenix, is a wimpy one, some argue that resuscitating any ancient virus is inherently risky and that the study should have undergone stricter reviews.

Retroviruses have the ability to make DNA copies of their RNA genomes and incorporate these into the host's genome. If this happens in a germ cell, the copy can be passed on to future generations. Indeed, the human genome is littered with the remnants of such human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) (ScienceNOW, 29 September 2004). So far, researchers had been unable to recover a complete, functional HERV from a human genome however; part of the reason, they assumed, was that mutations accumulated over the millennia had rendered such viruses dysfunctional.

A team led by Thierry Heidmann at the Institut Gustave Roussy in Villejuif, France, near Paris, decided to try to awaken the ancestor of an entire family of HERVs called HERV-K(HML2). To "correct" for mutations, the researchers took dozens of known HERV-K(HML2) sequences and aligned them to create a so-called "consensus" sequence. Then they converted this information into a complete viral genome.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not being a DNA expert,I can only wonder as to how these scientists knew this virus was safe to work with before they started messing about.
I can see that there must be benefits in looking into this type of thing,as it may lead to a way of shutting down diseases.
However,this is the sort of thing that could go badly wrong i think-especially in the wrong hands or in the event of an accident.
Is this a clever,good idea?
Or a silly bad idea?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think it's a god idea, there is a huge amount of information
that can be learned from this.

However, that being said, I think while doing this research
safety measures neeed to be observed, so if something does
go wrong, it does'nt escape into the population.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Great find!

I suspect - and hope - that this work will lead to a better understanding of evolution.

And of the idea that we are actually super-organisms - lifeforms made from a composite of viruses, bacteria and other microbes.

Interesting stuff, imo.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
what doesn't kill us makes us stronger...

revisiting these retroviruses that lay dormant in the human body can hopefully help unlock the mysteries of HOW the human body builds anti-bodies...

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Great find!

And of the idea that we are actually super-organisms - lifeforms made from a composite of viruses, bacteria and other microbes.

Wow,thats an amazing idea.
I had never thought about it like that before.Huge walking colonies with a conscious control center.

I feel strange now.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I find it very odd that it has been named the Pheonix virus. Except I guess since it has been reborn through the ashes of the ages, it would be considered fitting.

The word Pheonix has been coming up alot lately and I wonder if it is a clue as to what the future may hold.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Hmm.

Just caught this bit:

Others worry that the study sets a dangerous precedent. Although it was approved by the French research ministry's Genetic Engineering Committee, Richard Ebright, a molecular biologist at Rutgers University in New Jersey, says any work involving the potential reconstruction of an extinct or eradicated infectious agent should be subject to a special review at the national or international level. What's more, he says, because the researchers couldn't be absolutely sure about Phoenix's infectivity, the study should have been carried out under Biosafety level 4 conditions--the best-protected labs available--instead of the level 3 conditions utilized.

At the risk of being labelled a Luddite - I agree. Level 4 should be mandatory.

btw Silcone Synapse - a Google search for "superorganism" yields some really interesting stuff.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Thanks Soficrow,
Ill check that out-cool subject.

And yes,definitely Level 4 sounds a sensible idea.
BTW,was it you who wrote the threads about "Transhumanism,and the singularity"?
I keep trying to find them,but can`t.
If it was you well done
And please send me a link.
If not sorry for the hassle.
(it was one of my favourite threads,and i hadn`t finished reading it).Now i cant find it!

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

BTW,was it you who wrote the threads about "Transhumanism,and the singularity"?

(it was one of my favourite threads,and i hadn`t finished reading it).Now i cant find it!

I hate it when that happens! ...I didn't write it - but do remember it (sort of). Search by word, and for "sardion." Sardion2000(?) has done a lot of good work here - and writes about transhumanism. Even if it's not his thread, he would have posted on it.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Hey,thanks soficrow.
I checked out sardions posts,but still can`t find it.
Oh well no worries, I`ve put a thread on the questions bit of BTS to ask for help.
On superorganisms,
I found a great little snippet about our symbiotic stomach bacterial friends:

external source " Metagenomic Analysis of the Human Distal Gut Microbiome

Steven R. Gill et al.

The human intestinal microbiota is composed of 10 to the power of 13 to 10 to the power of 14 microorganisms whose collective genome ("microbiome") contains at least 100 times as many genes as our own genome. We analyzed 78 million base pairs of unique DNA sequence and 2062 polymerase chain reaction-amplified 16S ribosomal DNA sequences obtained from the fecal DNAs of two healthy adults. Using metabolic function analyses of identified genes, we compared our human genome with the average content of previously sequenced microbial genomes. Our microbiome has significantly enriched metabolism of glycans, amino acids, and xenobiotics; methanogenesis; and 2-methyl-D-erythritol 4-phosphate pathway-mediated biosynthesis of vitamins and isoprenoids. Thus, humans are superorganisms whose metabolism represents an amalgamation of microbial and human attributes.

This is really important stuff -- our nutrition is very dependent on these microbes, and there is every reason to think that their ecology affects our overall health status as well. And we know very little about them -- heck, these guys are using the same metagenomic techniques to fine organisms in our bodies that are used to find new unidentified ocean life! "

www.johnhawks.net...

Wow,theres a whole universe of species helping us out!
Thats before we even consider that our own genome could be another super organism.

"Symbiotic",I like that word.I wish humans were symbiotic with each other and nature.Oh well.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Good luck with finding that transhumanism thread.

Here's a bit more on superorganisms:

Most of the cells in your body are not your own, nor are they even human. They are bacterial. From the invisible strands of fungi waiting to sprout between our toes, to the kilogram of bacterial matter in our guts, we are best viewed as walking "superorganisms," highly complex conglomerations of human cells, bacteria, fungi and viruses.

[Ed....I would add "macromolecules" and "nanoparticles."]

Also see Wikipedia: Superorganism

My own hypothesis is that microbes carry macromolecules between individuals and systems with the effect of harmonizing everything one with the other - a microview of the macro Gaia hypothesis. In the long term, I don't think it's a bad thing, prions notwithstanding. In the short term, only, we face "disease" as we assimilate and integrate the new molecular "information."

[edit on 5-11-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
I had never thought about it like that before.Huge walking colonies with a conscious control center.
I feel strange now.

I know how you feel...I never know if I'm bringing my mitocondria to post here in ATS or if it's my mitocondria bringing me in here...

At any rate, I can see the benefits of working on how our immune system has shut down diseases in the past, but I do have a few qualms about the direction that this research may be leading:
The major thing I'm concerned about is, when taking the rampant corruption in corporate & government circles into consideration, that they will push this research into creating new diseases that can ignore the human immune system!

[edit on 5-11-2006 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You know the score MidnightDStroyer.
It seems any new ideas that come about are swiftly perverted for darkside use
by the controllers.
I was just reading about mitocondria...interesting stuff.
I wonder if the mitocondria influences our behavior/drive/evolution?
Some organisms inlfuence their hosts,like that parasite that rats get(toxoplasma?).
It rewires their brain to make cat urine really attractive to them(they are usually scared of it,as they know cats are bad news!),then the rats get caught by the cats,who catch the parasite.
Sneaky or what?
Not sure if i have the name right,but i remember reading that a similar parasite lives in humans,and may be responsible for women who are constantly attracted to violent men.
The fact that a parasite can influence the behaviour of its host is pretty scary.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Interesting ideas guys.

Coincidentally, I've been looking at mitochondria too. Looking for prion-RNA connections.

Unfortunately, as MidnightDStroyer says,

...taking the rampant corruption in corporate & government circles into consideration, that they will push this research into creating new diseases that can ignore the human immune system!

IMO - the only way to short circuit this known effect is to make all knowledge accessible to everyone (Open Source/Access) - and create a level playing field.

I suspect the first thing we will learn is that macro-environmental pollution also pollutes the body's cellular micro-environment - and in response, nature already has created new diseases that can ignore the human immune system.

Evolution. It's a wild ride.

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
IMO - the only way to short circuit this known effect is to make all knowledge accessible to everyone (Open Source/Access) - and create a level playing field.

That's been the whole point, all throughout known human history...Those who can control the access to information can exercise control over those who are denied information. How can the Average Joe ever make intelligent decisions when he's denied intelligence?
A few years ago, I wrote the thread Future Shock (no relation to a more famous work by that name); The main point there is that all of humanity has always been at "War for Information."

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Interesting stuff MD.

But dense... I just scanned and will have to finish later. Pulled this quote tho:

All of this death & destruction throughout history was wrought for the possession of information & the control of those who would or would not be allowed access to it. It was instigated by the elite, but was performed by the commoners who wanted & needed the right information to make important decisions & perform important actions...But the people have always been fed on a diet of minimal information, misinformation & outright lies by the elite who controlled that information. So the people would make only the decisions & perform only the actions that the elite themselves wanted the people to make; The people were led into the decisions & actions that ultimately benefitted only the elite classes themselves. In a word, manipulated!

That's about it.

new topics

top topics

join