It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saddam to get verdict on Sunday - Carnage among Iraqis feared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Thw first death sentence is likely to be passed down to Saddam on this Sunday. His trial concerning the deaths of 148 Shias in 1982 in the village of Dujail, ordered by Saddam after an atempt on his life.

The security situation in Iraq, bringing in peril anyones life there, is expected to worsen.

The last few month have shown a steady rise in sectarian violence, abductions and torture. With the verdict handed down it is feared to run out of hand.

BBC link

All military leave has been cancelled in Iraq as part of increased security ahead of Sunday's expected verdict against Saddam Hussein.
Other measures will include a curfew on Baghdad, Diyala and Salahuddin provinces, a senior official said.

Saddam supporters have threatened more violence if he is sentenced to death.
The verdict comes amid increased violence - 83 bodies, some showing signs of torture, were found in Baghdad alone in the past 36 hours.

How much worse can it get? The suffering is endless.

Now it starts for real, I'm afraid.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hard to say how they will react, but the consensus seems to think that it will be negative.

Iraq's Sunday Curfew To Last Indefinitely

BAGHDAD (AP)--Iraq's prime minister has ordered a curfew in Baghdad and two surrounding provinces from 6 a.m. (0300 GMT) Sunday until further notice, in an apparent bid to head-off violence greeting the expected announcement of a verdict in the trial of former leader Saddam Hussein.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Don't count on Saddam swinging anytime soon though.

Iraq waits nervously to hear if Saddam will hang

But even if he is sentenced to death, it may be many months, even years, before he is hanged as appeals are heard. Saddam is due back in court on Tuesday in another trial, for genocide against ethnic Kurds.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My how the times have changed under occupation ....

[edit on 4-11-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
so are we going to see footage of the man being hanged?
being he is being executed under iraqi law.... and not military rule.
will we see this man hang?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Even if Saddam gets a guilty verdict & a death sentence this Sunday,
some 36-48 hours before the US elections of 7 November....

whatever sentence is imposed will not carried out immediately,
as i suppose there will be a need to review the whole trial process
over weeks or even months, before any execution takes place.

does anyone on the board know if the Iraq justice system is modeled on the US court & trial system?
?appeals? etc?

as i recall there were Nazis serving life, & in one instance the authorities
kept that prison in operation for that one-&-only prisoner for years & years!

I know, on a personal level, I would always have qualms about the fact
that one of the first official acts of my new nation, was to execute an ousted
former leader (even if he was a dictator)...bad karma would be my quiet thinking

but hey, i'm not Iraqi, Shia, Sunni, Kurd

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
St. U, A few months back I heard an NPR interview with the law professor from Case Western in Cleveland (?) who trained the prosecution and set up the trial procedures.

Sorry, I don't remember his name. But it all sounded on the square to me.

They say the msn will be "All Sadam, All The Time'' when the verdict is read. And how that will affect the election results after two days of saturation.

AND they say the date for this verdict was engineered by none other than our our sweet Turd Blossom.

Why Sunday? That provides 2 full days of complete Saddam coverage from all media. America will be bombarded for the 48 hours before they vote, with a never ending Saddam-a-thon. There will be barely any coverage of the current war, the dead, the economy, the poll numbers, or the individual races. Nope, it will be all Saddam, all the time.

opednews.com

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyopswatcher
They say the msn will be "All Sadam, All The Time'' when the verdict is read. And how that will affect the election results after two days of saturation.

Well if riots breakout like some think will, it would have the opposite effect if we have two full days to see Iraq fall apart. My guess is it will be postponed.

When it does happen, I don't think it will be that bad. I'm sure some will protest, but I don't think it will get out of control. I guess we will see.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
Well if riots breakout like some think will, it would have the opposite effect if we have two full days to see Iraq fall apart. My guess is it will be postponed.

Nah, it'll be "spun" either way.

If riots break out then it's just a few more examples of the "terrorists who will win" if Dems are elected
, and if it stays peacefull then it's just a shining example of "republicans' success" in Iraq.

Either way, announcing it two days before the elections here is "prefect timing" for the right-wing.

[edit on 11/4/06 by redmage]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
If riots break out then there's just a few more examples of the "terrorists" who "win if Dems are elected",

If that were true, with all the carnage that has been going on in Baghdad, more people would be supporting the war. I don't think it will be seen in that light.

and if it stays peacefull then it's just a shining example of republican's "success in Iraq".

If that happens, that is a good thing. Who cares if it might affect the elections? I would gladly put up with "more of the same" if all the violence in Iraq had stopped and our troops are able to come home. Something tells me that is not going to happen.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
They say it is in celebration - so far.

Predictable enough, Saddam got his death sentence.

Bush played out his card, Saddam, the name of the pawn in his game.
Perfectly timed!

[edit on 5-11-2006 by khunmoon]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
He still gets an appeal but after the appeal if he is still found to be guilty they must execute him 30 days afterwards. Such a nice democracy we have given them. The Gallows?? LOL

I was reading that the Law professor that was doing the American research for the defense team said that this case will set precedence and can have an impact on America in regards to attrocities committed in Iraq.

I still don't see the damn difference... People tried to assasinate him, so he jailed and executed 128 people, some of them were executed when they reached the age of 18 since they were minors. Palestinians shoot Qassam rockets at Israelis and they just execute them without even the benefit of a trial as well as murder innocent people that may be in the vicinity and this is considered WOT and its A-OK and no one invades Israel and brings the Israelis and palestinians freedom from their oppressive Leadership. No trading cards or wanted posters. Double Standards.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Double standards! You hit the nail again, Pieman.

Right noww BBC runs a special on his regime of terror.

Not a word on the illegal Bush war - which didn't get any flower strewn paths - a terror that in 3½ have killed more people than Saddam did in his 34 years in power.

Double standards! SURE.

[edit on 5-11-2006 by khunmoon]

top topics

join