It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Seafood By 2050?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The largest and biggest study of the most all-embracing effort yet to understand the productivity of the oceans and predict their future it extrapolates that the last currently commercial fish species will be lost in 2048.

www.newscientist.com
There may be no more commercial fish stocks left in the sea by 2050, according to a new study cataloguing the global collapse of marine ecosystems.

It blames not just over-fishing, but also mankind’s wider attack on the health of ocean ecosystems, for instance from pollution. “Unless we fundamentally change the way we manage all the ocean species together, as working eco-systems, then this century is the last century of wild food,” says Steve Palumbi at Stanford University in California, US, who carried out the four-year investigation with colleagues.

A healthy ecosystem keeps fish healthy and well fed, and maintains fish nurseries such as coral reefs and seagrasses. But there are fewer such healthy systems each year. Since 1950, 29% of commercial fish species have suffered collapse (defined as a loss of 90% or more). And the pace is accelerating.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

We need to understand that our continued pollution and ill-regarded thoughts towards preservation of all species are inter-linked. The oceans truly define our planet, and their fate may to a large extent determine our fate

Related News Links:
www.sciencentral.com
www.floridatoday.com

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I read this in the paper today. 30% of sea species depleted in the last 50 years. The rest in the next 45. This isn't good news if accurate. Protein is needed and I'm not that fond of chicken.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
their gen code will be saved so we can reproduce it whenever we feel like it

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeratul

You have more faith than I do man.

Remeber what REAL strawberry's tasted like?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Too funny, I'd be worried if I ever thought mankind was gonna actually provide for itsef. We didn't create ourselves, and we're not gonna sustain ourselves. So keep runnin' around, 'The sky's fallin', The sky's fallin'. I'll get a hearty laugh to keep me healthy, and you'll get a heart attack long before 2050!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

You have more faith than I do man.

Remeber what REAL strawberry's tasted like?

it isnt faith, at the rate our technological progress is going on we would be able to solve this problem around that time, difficult to imagine I know.

I´m sorry i dont understand your question, not english speaker

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This was covered in ATSNN earlier
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Therefore, I am moving this to an appropriate ATS forum

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Oh, so that's ok then.

Never mind about the total collapse of the oceanic ecosystems, we can clone all the fish we need to eat.

Yay!

(excuse me for not containing my excitement)

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
lol, by 2100 they will be releasing mechanical deer into the wild for sheer joy of hunting them again. wow, where did that come from, aye?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Add your stuff to the other thread

I'm closing this one

top topics

join