It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Euston Manifesto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
In the early months of this year, in a little Irish pub on Euston street in London, was born a new way of looking at the political Left.

The link provided is the Preamble (A) and Statement of Principles (B) written in plain understandable words and is not a lengthy treatise. Also, in the Elaborations (C) are clearly defined views on contemporary issues such as Abu Graib and the Iraqi Insurgency.

In particular, I would like to direct you to the Conclusion (D) because it directly relates to America and the current US administration.

It is high time that a new alternative rose to replace worn-out liberal principles which for too long have been relegated to discredited, unwanted and unworkable thinking.

Could this be the beginning of just such a movement?

The Euston Manifesto

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I am sorry... I don't think thats liberal at all... it is middle of the road for everything, which I don't mind, but it is not liberal.

Begining of a movement? I hope so, to change democrats, but it wont, nothing will come of it.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I am sorry... I don't think thats liberal at all... it is middle of the road for everything, which I don't mind, but it is not liberal.

Begining of a movement? I hope so, to change democrats, but it wont, nothing will come of it.

It's a bit early to proclaim it a 'dead horse'. It has fostered a contentious debate and Googling the manifesto gets you quite a return for such a relatively new kind of thinking. You say it isn't Liberal, and I agree... I'm calling it Neo Liberalism under the banner of Social Democracy.

MacLeans article

The Euston Manifesto has a number of flaws. Some of the principles, such as the vague and woolly-headed commitment to "equality," bear all the signs of negotiation and compromise. Others, such as the pro forma criticisms of the WTO, the IMF, etc., suggest that the authors have not yet made their peace with the market economy -- a key element of liberalism as it is traditionally understood.

Still, that the manifesto exists at all is a hopeful sign, not only for the left, but for anyone who believes that liberalism is the West's great political gift to the world. It is a sign of the ongoing crisis on the left that the manifesto was even necessary, and that it remains the subject of vicious debate.

The Euston Manifesto was born, lives and grows in blogosphere. It has only been around for 6 months and yet has spurred so much debate (much of it negative).

Wikipedia Link

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Neo Liberalism Might make people think of like Neo-Cons and such, giving it bad light already..

Also, while some of their ideas may seem like they are "liberal" they are in my mind just like how I think, being a libertarian - all people are equal, such as for instance gay marriage and that the government has no right to interfere with their personal affairs. As for the anti-Americanism I am very glad someone finally noticed, though that won't change because the Democratic party has been hijacked by the nuts like Clinton and Edwards.

top topics

join