It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unified Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
In the beginning, the Flying Spaghetti Monster reached out His Noody Appendage. May He touch you with his Noody Appendage and bathe you in his Sauce forever- RAmen.

What if I told you there was a Flying Spaghetti Monster that created the universe? Would you believe it? Well, you can't disprove it. In that light, it holds as much credence as the idea of God.

People even claimed to have talked to and experienced Him the Flying Spaghetti Monster, much like (though, obviously not to Him) the Pope, prophets, believers in God and schizophrenics.

Before you just dismiss this as ridicule, read the following news group post. And realize that, yes, it is redicululous. And that's how we feel when religious people argue about God: are they trying to ridicule us?

Really, then, it's not ridicule. It's taking the same exact horribly abstract story you believe in, but fail to logically understand because it's so abstract, and replacing the nouns with more concrete, picturable ideas that make it easier to reason out and see how ridiculous the entire idea of religion really is.

From a very well informed news group post by Ralph_S

"The Flying Spaghetti moster is intended to show that subjective
evidence is as good as no evidence. Of course Joseph is right when he
writes that nobody can seriously pretend that they have experienced the
Flying Spaghetti Monster, while there undoubtedly are theists who
genuinely believe that they have experienced God. However, to somebody
who doesn't believe in a god, and who doesn't equate, for instance, the
feeling of awe he or she gets when seeing the milky way stretch across
the sky with God, theists might as well be talking about the Flying
Spaghetti Monster. To an athesit, just like God, the Flying Spaghetti
Monster only exists as a construct in people's minds.

Substituting the Flying Spaghetti Monster for God often clearly shows
how strange some of the reasoning aimed at proving that God exists
really is.

We've had this a couple of days ago:
"Existence is an essential property of God. God
identified Himself as He Who Is. Thus, if He did not actually exist, He
would not be who He is, i.e. He Who Is. "

This doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever, but it may to you.
However, if I write:

"Existence is an essential property of The Flying Spaghetti Monster.
The Flying Spaghetti Monster identified Himself as He Who Is. Thus, if
He did not actually exist, He
would not be who He is, i.e. He Who Is. "

it's probably clear to you as well that this doesn't make any sense.
To an atheist, the latter makes as much sense as the first. You might
as well be praying to the flying Spaghetti Monster, because he is as
real as God is. "

If you would lke to learn more, and perhaps join our Unified Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Google His name.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I got defensive when you mentioned this in the other thread, now I see the point you're making, I think.

If your outlook on live just doesn't require any sort of spiritual philosophy, then the concept of God is foolish to you, yes? Regardless of what name he is given?

Some people are just more spiritual and maybe inward-looking (or upward-looking, downward-looking, you get the drift) than others.

But I don't despise you or look down on you for your views, since I have no more concrete evidence of my perception of God than a different given religious person.

Your method of removing the concept and replacing it with another really helps get the point across. It just comes across as ridicule if it isn't read carefully.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I read the "Please Play Nice" Sticky and the Gospel of the Flying Spagetti Monster.

ATS Motto is DENY IGNORANCE. Yet they have designated this area in particular and the site in general a place where Christians can fling their hate through Minitry and Testimony with impunity.

Christianity is demonstrably false and God is demonstrably non-existent, even undefined.

If someone comes to ATS with some assertion without proof they are criticized, yet the Bible is definitively classified as Hearsay with no supernatural corroboration and yet treated as indisputed fact.

With Christians trolling around looking for people to prey upon to suck into their cult, they represent a clear danger to society.

Their appointed president forces us into wars intended to bring out self-fulfillment of prophecy in Israel.

Creationist attacks against science undermine our future.

The Immoral Mojority conspires to strip away equality and freedom and liberty. They don't even understand what liberty is, it must be something to do with Liberals.

My recommendation is that unless ATS starts cracking down on the Christians, they should stop using the DENY IGNORANCE motto.

Christianity is plainly rooted in ignorance and takes advantage of the lack of knowledge (definition of ignorance) of people.

Never, ever use the Bible to argue with Christians. The Bible is hearsay and useless as evidence or proof in any argument. There is no truth or fact in the Bible. Arguments involving the Bible are confined to elements of the Bible only and starkly separate from reality.

DENY IGNORANCE - Expose the Christians to Facts.

Columbus

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Columbus
I read the "Please Play Nice" Sticky and the Gospel of the Flying Spagetti Monster.

Then you should know that what you are doing is against the general rules.

ATS Motto is DENY IGNORANCE. Yet they have designated this area in particular and the site in general a place where Christians can fling their hate through Minitry and Testimony with impunity.

You seem to have a problem that ATS' motto is Deny Ignorance.
You seem to have a problem that ATS has a religious forum.
In other words, You have a problem with ATS. If that's the case, why are you here?
To feign your ignorance? Because it sure looks that way from here.

Christianity is demonstrably false and God is demonstrably non-existent, even undefined.

Prove it.

If someone comes to ATS with some assertion without proof they are criticized, yet the Bible is definitively classified as Hearsay with no supernatural corroboration and yet treated as indisputed fact.

See above. I am criticizing you for the lack of evidence you present.
Yes, ATS' motto is 'Deny Ignorance.' To Deny Ignorance does not mean that ATS is not about the persecution of ignorance. It is rather the discussion of thus.

With Christians trolling around looking for people to prey upon to suck into their cult, they represent a clear danger to society.

Prove that they 'represent a clear danger to society.' And how can they 'troll' this board? You do realise this is a Religious forum, right? Your logic states that science boards are trolled by scientists.

Their appointed president forces us into wars intended to bring out self-fulfillment of prophecy in Israel.

Who's president? Who IS this president?! Where are you going with this?

Creationist attacks against science undermine our future.

Attacks it how? If you knew anything and weren't so ignorant you would know what your talking about.

The Immoral Mojority conspires to strip away equality and freedom and liberty. They don't even understand what liberty is, it must be something to do with Liberals.

What has any of that crap got to do with Christians? Or any religion?!

My recommendation is that unless ATS starts cracking down on the Christians, they should stop using the DENY IGNORANCE motto.

If you don't like it, then LEAVE and stop feigning your own ignorance.

Christianity is plainly rooted in ignorance and takes advantage of the lack of knowledge (definition of ignorance) of people. Never, ever use the Bible to argue with Christians. The Bible is hearsay and useless as evidence or proof in any argument. There is no truth or fact in the Bible. Arguments involving the Bible are confined to elements of the Bible only and starkly separate from reality.

Once again, prove it.

DENY IGNORANCE - Expose the Christians to Facts.

FINALLY! You got something right. Sort of. Expose facts to Christians.
Not attacking them without reason or evidence.

Now get real, or get off ATS.
Unlike 7Pan7cho7, I do not apologize.

[edit on 4-11-2006 by Gear]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   

OFFTOPIC

Cry of the oppressor. A naked attempt to quash my opinion used often in religious forums everywhere. Discussion of the invalidity of religion is very much ONTOPIC in a religious forum.

Then you should know that what you are doing is against the general rules.

My very point is that the rules conflict with the stated objective of ATS.

You seem to have a problem that ATS' motto is Deny Ignorance.

No, I have a problem with policy conflictig with that motto.

You seem to have a problem that ATS has a religious forum.

No, I have a problem with that forum being moderated as if ATS is a religious site like a certain b*net.

...why are you here?

I did not come here to be harassed by Christian zombies, yet that is what ended up happening. From the outside you'd think ATS is either conspiracy nuts and alien worshippers, or the opposite, people who Deny Ignorance. Turns out it's neither. It's a Christian retreat.

To feign your ignorance? Because it sure looks that way from here.

When did I ever pretend that I didn't know something?

Prove it.

That's all I've been doing for weeks, just look at my past posts. The problem with Christians and consequently the problem with ATS is that Ignorance is entitled to special priviledge and allowed to struggle on in cases involving god and Jesus.

See above. I am criticizing you for the lack of evidence you present.

You want me to prove Christ and God don't exist again, just for you? Sure.

Here's one of many proofs. The Bible is the only reference material. It is composed of many books by various unknown authors at unknown dates. It is therefore hearsay and not admissible as proof. There is no other proof. Therefore, there is no substance to Christianity whatsoever. Why keep up this nonsense?

To Deny Ignorance does not mean that ATS is not about the persecution of ignorance. It is rather the discussion of thus.

Well said. Yet if my input is prosecuted, that's okay with you? Bigot.

Prove that they 'represent a clear danger to society.'

Oklahoma City Bombing.

And how can they 'troll' this board? You do realise this is a Religious forum, right? Your logic states that science boards are trolled by scientists.

Scientists don't testify, witness, minister, or hold hands and sing praises about scientific theories. These activities are intended to lower your guard and take advantage of people in hardship looking for hope. People come here looking for hope and they find something, but it's more accurately described as deception.

Who's president? Who IS this president?! Where are you going with this?

You call me ignorant and you know nothing of how the church infiltrated the Republican party?

Attacks it how?

You call me ignorant and act like you never heard of the Kansas Board of Education or CRI or Dwayne Gish or any church in your neighborhood?

What has any of that crap got to do with Christians? Or any religion?

It irks me when Christians pretend that their denomination is True and other denominations are not true Christians. If Jerry Falwell claims to be a Christian, who are you to deny it?

Once again, prove it.

I am the proof. Being a former Christian who left years ago, I continue to experience these attacks to this day.

Not attacking them without reason or evidence.

I present evidence over and over, yet Christians just deny it without presenting a valid argument. We are past the arguments of the existence of Jesus and God. They're both thoroughly disproven. Now, remove these fool protections so everyone can learn these facts.

If I attempt to post them here, the Play Nice Police will crack down on me. That's discrimination and shows favoritism to ignorance.

Columbus

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Cry of the oppressor. A naked attempt to quash my opinion used often in religious forums everywhere. Discussion of the invalidity of religion is very much ONTOPIC in a religious forum.

No. Actually it is something called courtesy. You should try it some time. OFFTOPIC was the title of my post.
IE:It had nothing to do with the 'Unified Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster' being discussed.

No, I have a problem with that forum being moderated as if ATS is a religious site like a certain b*net.

Ha! So your saying that ATS is allowed to have a religious forum, as long as it only has anti-religious posts? Get real.
It has a religious forum, where people are open to talk about religion.

I did not come here to be harassed by Christian zombies, yet that is what ended up happening.

How exactly were you harrassed? You were the one who posted anti-christian works. As I have said before, If you didn't like it, don't reading it, It is a religious forum, what do you expect?!
However, If you don't AGREE with it, that is a different matter. Stay ontopic, bring ontopic evidence, and post, stating that you don't agree. Dont just post your mindless dribble without being ontopic of the thread.

From the outside you'd think ATS is either conspiracy nuts and alien worshippers, or the opposite, people who Deny Ignorance.

So? So what? Are you a moderator? Are you an Administrator? It's not your concern what the outside world thinks.

Turns out it's neither. It's a Christian retreat.

Yes. This part of ATS is. If you have a problem with people bringing up religion in other topics on ATS, then voice yourself THERE, IN THAT TOPIC.

That's all I've been doing for weeks, just look at my past posts.

Yeah, I did. I still don't see any proof. You are acting 'like a christian' posting without evidence. Tell me, Columbus, Where is the evidence in something like this?:
"You are all blind! Open your eyes! The christian propaganda is everywhere! They are forcing their beliefs everywhere and taking control!"
Did you see the evidence? Because if you did, thn you need to redefine your idea of evidence, because that's all you've being saying.

When did I ever pretend that I didn't know something?

What, you didn't understand the first time?
Okay, you have being FLAUNTING ignorance.

You want me to prove Christ and God don't exist again, just for you? Sure.
Here's one of many proofs. The Bible is the only reference material. It is composed of many books by various unknown authors at unknown dates. It is therefore hearsay and not admissible as proof.

Yeah. That's nice. Too bad that is not proof. Just because that it comes from a sketchy and unreliable source, that does not make it undeniable fact that it's wrong.

There is no other proof. Therefore, there is no substance to Christianity whatsoever. Why keep up this nonsense?

I see...
Listen... You have never met me. You have never seen me. Yet you think your talking to me. I might be a computer generated program for all you know. But as we both know, I am real.
And yet, in your logic, there is no proof or substance to suggest I am real.

If my input is prosecuted, that's okay with you? Bigot.

You've lost me. You were not adding to the discussion. You did not put in any negative or positive feedback. You were attacking it. What you said extremely generalised and had nothing to do with the topic at hand. This is why your 'input' was prosecuted. This is why it is okay for me to prosecute it.

Oklahoma City Bombing.

That is not proof. You did not talk about it or even post a link. I am unaware of any proof that the Oklahoma City Bombings were caused by Christians.
Without proof, am I to follow your word blindly? Because that is what you are accusing Christians of doing.

You call me ignorant and you know nothing of how the church infiltrated the Republican party?

Yep. I don't know a thing about that. Why don't you start a thread about it...

You call me ignorant and act like you never heard of the Kansas Board of Education or CRI or Dwayne Gish or any church in your neighborhood?

Nope. Maybe I act like I've never heard of it because I really haven't heard of it. Christianity is world wide. US education laws are not.

I am the proof. Being a former Christian who left years ago, I continue to experience these attacks to this day.

Okay. Well I too am the proof. Being a former Christian who left years ago, I continue to experience being open minded every day.
See how it can work both ways? You are not proof.

I present evidence over and over, yet Christians just deny it without presenting a valid argument.

You want to know why?
Because you Hijack threads like this, and slap a universal FAKE sticker on it. I have not seen you post ANY proof, or ANY evidence. If you want to post in a topic, STAY on topic. This being "Unified Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster."
If you want to present 'evidence' that is unrelated, open your own thread.

They're both thoroughly disproven. Now, remove these fool protections so everyone can learn these facts.

They are not disproven, that is your own opinion. Your opinion may be valid, but that does not make it fact. As I said above If you want to disprove god, open your own thread, don't hijack others.
The ATS motto is not going to go because you fail to agree with it. Nor is the Religious forum. Deal with it.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   

hey are not disproven, that is your own opinion. Your opinion may be valid, but that does not make it fact. As I said above If you want to disprove god, open your own thread, don't hijack others.

No, he's right. Jesus and God are incredibly proven to not exist. Religious people just ignore the evidence and logic.

Why a lot of disproofs work: atheism.about.com...

Example of that type of disproof: www.carm.org...

I mean come on, a flying spaghetti monster =P Yet, it has just as much of a probability of existing as the next random idea: God.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
RedDragon, what is more powerful, the Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Star, Planet, Cell, Atom, Subatomic Particle, and Soul Creator (GOD) or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? God Bless You in your search for the Infinite and Ultimate Power!!!

By the way, if you like spaghetti, enjoy the next spaghetti meal that God has blessed you with.

You will never find God without humility, but in time we all find Him and He is Infinitely Great!!! Not a warning, just speaking from the Wisdom of my Experience.

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
As a practicing pastafarian i love this thread

but Dragon, don't forget the 1st of the "I'd really rather you didn'ts"

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Act Like a Sanctimonious Holier-Than-Thou A-- When Describing My Noodly Goodness. If Some People Don't Believe In Me, That's Okay. Really, I'm Not That Vain. Besides, This Isn't About Them So Don't Change The Subject."

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
mmm, spaghetti, i'm getting hungry.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, therefore it doesn't exist.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   
mmm, I likes sgetti.

top topics

join