It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leading Evangelical Accused of Gay Sex

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The argument that elderly or infertile couples can marry, but cannot procreate is often brought up, but such an argument is morally corrupt, as those who in such condition who marry do so out of respect for the institution of marriage and society and, also, it sometimes occurs that such couples do produce offspring.

You presume to know why I got married? You could not be more wrong.

There is simply no reason for society to sanction unions between members of the same sex.

Yes there is. To grant everyone equal treatment under the law.

angrypsycho1977, Welcome to ATS and there's now a reason to keep an eye on this thread. I hope to hear an update from you.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
ahh, dontcha just love chaos in the news when everything is suppose to be just fine?

he needs to be punished seven fold

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Marriages have existed in history in a much more diverse fashion than just "man and woman." On a religious aspect of it, the dominant Christian faith in politics that spurred the definition of marriage as a union between "man and woman," fails to understand that even in the Bible, prophets have had marriages that include "one man and many women," and even "one man, one woman, and a concubine." The founding fathers were known to have a wife as well as many concubines, including slave women.

The fact that marriage today negates its long standing role and definition through out history, so that it can appease a group financially is very sad indeed. I think we in America can preach "we have more freedom than everyone else," when we start treating Gays with the same rights as every other human being.

[edit on 4-11-2006 by DJMessiah]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
DJ is right. There has been everything from monogamy (one man one woman) to polygamy (one man multiple women) to polyandry (one woman, multiple husbands. common in parts of Tibet, usually involving brothers) to temporary arrangements ( for example for traveling preachers among the poor blacks in the 19th century south) to arrangements among the American Indians where it was acceptable for a powerful warrior to have a male wife as well as a female one.

Monogamy is just one option among many as is sexual preference. It is one of the bi-products of a higher order brain to not only have sex outside of estrous but to experiment with the possibilities.

All that is fine....but when you are repressed and self-loathing and in denial about your own true nature then it can have all sorts of reprocussions thoughout ones life. People like this minister is a fine example of that.

[edit on 4-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Less than 24 hours after he was fired from the pulpit of the evangelical megachurch he founded, the Rev. Ted Haggard confessed to his followers Sunday that he was guilty of sexual immorality.

"I am so sorry for the circumstances that have caused shame and embarrassment for all of you," he said, adding that he had confused the situation by giving inconsistent remarks to reporters denying the scandal.

"The fact is I am guilty of sexual immorality. And I take responsibility for the entire problem. I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life," he said.

news.yahoo.com

Well, there you have it.

I wonder where he stands on the gay marriage issue, now?

He hasn't shown a lot of backbone, as yet.

Forgiveness is, however, the hallmark of the Christian faith and it will be interesting to see where his career goes from here.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
so i said i would update. the person i know is not going to come forward because he may lose his job. plus he has no concrete proof and doesn't want to be put through the ringer when he can't prove anything.

but other interesting facts:

haggard and the prostitute mike jones have been seen multiple times frequenting on of the gay bath houses in town here. also haggard supposedly won a mr. naked contest of some sort at the same place.

the story now is spreading that the prostitute used to host orgies with haggard in attendance.

sometimes i still can't believe the sexual underbelly of our society, and its not just the gay community either. honestly, my straight friends have more casual sex than my gay ones. oh well. thats all that i've heard out and about, but i told you guys i would update.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrypsycho1977
...also haggard supposedly won a mr. naked contest of some sort at the same place.

Now, this is something I would find hard to believe, unless, it took place before his rise to fame in the evangelical movement. It's kind of hard to parade naked in a venue suitable for award winning without word getting out into the community, especially when you have a church with 14.,000 members.

But, I guess anything is possible.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If Haggard won a Mr Naked contest, I'd hate to see the competition

Ugh - that guy lives up to his name - haggard indeed.

C'mon - is anyone really shocked by this?

These people are all hypocrites - their objection is not to gay sex, it's to the erosion of sexual shame as a means of social control.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life," he said.

news.yahoo.com

I think it's terribly sad that with all the stigma against homosexuality, people end up feeling this way about themselves... It's terrible! Too bad the guy can't just accept who he is and live in integrity with himself instead of "warring" with it his entire life...

I feel sorry for the guy. Not because he got caught lying or lost his church or ruined his life with deceit, but because he obviously hates and cannot accept who he really is...

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
These people are all hypocrites

Let's set the record straight. Hypocrisy is a human frailty. Everyone is a hypocrite at some point in their lives and even when they are not being hypocritical, someone will see a contradiction in their lives that will be labeled hypocrisy.

Haggard lived a hypocritical life, not because he opposed gay marriage, but because he used his ministry to mask whom he really is, instead of following the precepts of his faith.

It is not hypocritical to be homosexual and to be a Christian, but it is hypocritical to be a Christian and to practice homosexuality, fornication, or adultery, to name but a few.

However, the "err is human" and "all we like sheep have gone astray." So, those who would leap to make political hay out of Haggard's downfall should be careful, lest they be guilty of hypocrisy and we wouldn't want the "pots calling the kettle black."

[edit on 2006/11/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Actually it's hypocritical to be a Pauline Christian and practice homosexual sex - Jesus himself never said a word about the subject.

Besides that this is a bit different - the guy was out denouncing gays in public, and having gay sex in pivate.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
[

"Two people of the same sex can do with one another whatever they please, but they don't need legal sanction or civil benefits to do so. "

How on earth have you formed this opinion? Have you actually asked any gay couples wether THEY need legal sanction or civil benefits, equal to the benefits that a straight couple are entitled to? My guess would be no!

"The argument that elderly or infertile couples can marry, but cannot procreate is often brought up, but such an argument is morally corrupt, as those who in such condition who marry do so out of respect for the institution of marriage and society and, also, it sometimes occurs that such couples do produce offspring."

Ergo, marriage isn't about procreation. BTW I know maany gay couples here in manchester who have, well rounded, well behaved children.

"
We can't blame homosexuals for the state of these institutions, but their well-being will not be enhanced by granting marriage benefits to homosexuals. There is simply no reason for society to sanction unions between members of the same sex. " Again, YOU don't see the reason because you are not gay. !! You are simply homophobic. How on earth can two men or women getting married damage the concept of marriage?

"It would be better for society to cease to sanction any union than it would be to sanction same-sex unions." wouldn't it be better for mankind to get rid of religion, causes far more problems, wars, bigotry IMO, than two old queens getting hitched.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
because he obviously hates and cannot accept who he really is...

The cancer-like growth of self hate has to be the most destructive force in any of our lives. Acceptance is hard and, in cases where the acceptance needs to be directed at ones self, almost impossible in some cases. The sad fact about Haggart is that he himself set up this house of cards and then demolished it. No strong wind or shakeing of the table here; he simply sabotaged himself. And, I would venture a guess that it's exactly what he always wanted (besides the Meth and men, of course).

Glass houses are a *&%$ to keep clean...

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well it seems that the faithful followers of Rev. Ted Haggard teachings are actually sad and been crying for him and accepting his apologies.

Does that mean that his flock will have a change of hart and will welcome homosexuality in their mist?

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Does that mean that his flock will have a change of hart and will welcome homosexuality in their mist?

No. He has labeled homosexuality as immoral and talked about his "dark and repulsive" behavior...

According to most Evangelical ministries, it's ok if you're homosexual, as long as you don't practice it...
It's like any other sin. We're all tempted, but if we "give in" to those temtations, we have "sinned".

What a crock!

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I see BH still banging their believes in sin like nothing happen.

You are right is a fake a big fake. He will be crying about his behavior but you know what . . . he will become a well known repressed homosexual dealing with his sinful past while getting his pleasures behin closed doors.

I wonder how his family feels about all this.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join