It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Mysterious Objects on Mars!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
OK, same theory, the pic with the 3 dots is stitched together from separate pics. The dots are actually an asteroid flying by, as you can see in the animated gif:

Maybe the camera takes pics in 3's, waits a while then takes more.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The dots are an asteroid flying by. First, lets not theorize on something we can easily find out about such as how the pictures are taken. Lets go to the site and find out.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Lets say by chance an asteroid was flying by the camera while taking the pictures, it would show up as a blur. We can easily debunk that though by requesting the site be photographed again. This is from thier site, I'll put a request in

The Mars Global Surveyor (MGS) Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC) Public Target Request Site began collecting public and science community suggestions for MOC narrow angle imaging on 20 August 2003. Suggested targets are incorporated into the MGS MOC operational database at Malin Space Science Systems. There, they wait until a time in the future when MGS is predicted to pass over the requested site. When the predicted ground track intersects a site of interest, the MOC operations team determines the best way to acquire the requested image, then commands the camera to do so. Several days later, the image is acquired and returned to Earth.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Spines, thanks for your point, and yes, I do now know what you meant in your first post. I guess it does make sense if it is an asteroid, perhaps much more so than the ruins of an ancient civilization.

[edit on 5-11-2006 by Impreza]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by pompano

Originally posted by TravisT
At first I thought this was an AMAZING photo, but the more I look at it the more I start to see what it is. I dont think its a photo of mountains with some huge boulders in the middle or what not. Rather, I think its a close up picture of terrain on Mars and those are from the tracks of whatever rover it was that took them. The camera was probably taking pics from behind and thast what made them. Does anybody have some pics of what kind of wheels they use on the rover? Try that, then take another look at it. Thats just my two cents.

[edit on 4-11-2006 by TravisT]

Look at the holes and you will see the decline in landscape around them clearly pointing to holes in the grounds. Vents of some sort either natural or artificial.

Definitely not a close up here this picuture was taken from a camera orbiting mars from WAY UP HIGH. This indicates that these holes are huge. Go to the first page of this thread click the link and you can see this is a VAST PICTURE of the martian landscape. You are right though, this is an AMAZING PICTURE.
Cool cool, but where does it show us that this pic was taken from "WAY UP HIGH"? Yes, I know there are some declines in the landscape, which is why I think a rover of some kind made these prints in Mars. That doesnt mean they are huge, again, where do we get this info from? I havnt seen it, maybe I was to lazy to read over everything, but where does it say this was taken from a orbit, not a rover? And again, how do you know these holes are huge?

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
But does it have to be any less logical to be another civilization? Why can't there be one there, or have been there? Is it really that hard to believe there are other life forms and beings in the universe? Heck, maybe there are other humans, like us out there. Have we been trained so deeply in the reality of earth, that we think we are the only ones?

We've been so thoroughly taught about our supposed origins from single celled mud, and all that stuff. It's allmost as if we are trapped by it somehow. And our classroom teachings go on to explain this big accident that happened a long time ago, where stuff just blew up, and by some miracle of chance we are on a circular planet, with 4 separate seasons, sun to keep us warm, along with circular planets that are in orbit like clockwork, etc.

Our minds must come out of the tiny box of evolution. We think we must apply evolution somehow to life that could possibly exist outside earth. We reason from an evolutionary standpoint about the improbabilities of life similar to ours existing elsewhere, but unfortunately evolution might not lend us the answers we are trying so hard to find. Perhaps it hides from view the full picture of the universe.

Troy

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by pompano

At first I thought this was an AMAZING photo, but the more I look at it the more I start to see what it is. I dont think its a photo of mountains with some huge boulders in the middle or what not. Rather, I think its a close up picture of terrain on Mars and those are from the tracks of whatever rover it was that took them. The camera was probably taking pics from behind and thast what made them. Does anybody have some pics of what kind of wheels they use on the rover? Try that, then take another look at it. Thats just my two cents.

[edit on 4-11-2006 by TravisT]

Look at the holes and you will see the decline in landscape around them clearly pointing to holes in the grounds. Vents of some sort either natural or artificial.

Definitely not a close up here this picuture was taken from a camera orbiting mars from WAY UP HIGH. This indicates that these holes are huge. Go to the first page of this thread click the link and you can see this is a VAST PICTURE of the martian landscape. You are right though, this is an AMAZING PICTURE.
Cool cool, but where does it show us that this pic was taken from "WAY UP HIGH"? Yes, I know there are some declines in the landscape, which is why I think a rover of some kind made these prints in Mars. That doesnt mean they are huge, again, where do we get this info from? I havnt seen it, maybe I was to lazy to read over everything, but where does it say this was taken from a orbit, not a rover? And again, how do you know these holes are huge?

We know exactly what took the picture and that it took it from way up high. 381.08 km to be exact. It would help if you would have just followed the link to the original source. Here I'll do the work for you.

barsoom.msss.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Mikesingh, i took the liberty of posting your find in a very popular scientific forum ...and what i mess i have created!

Sorry for my english.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I have no clue what these things are, but keep this in mind..

Not trying to ruin anybody's fun..but..

You have to factor in time, weather, temperature, atmospheric pressure, sun light, darkness, wind, minerals in the ground, moisture, dirt, and asteroid impacts when looking at pictures of other planets. You can't look at pictures from other planets and think something looks weird and assume it's anything more than a land form. Other planets are different from Earth. You can't apply what you know and have seen on Earth and use it for analyzing other planets. You're comparing apples and oranges. We don't know what effects those planets have that would shape the land forms. It may look weird to us, but doesn't everything the first time you see it? If you lived in a flat area your whole life, then moved to Colorado, wouldn't it look weird? Different areas have different factors you have to consider. That's all I'm saying.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I read somewhere that all of these pics are taken using separate filters and are combined for the final image. Like RGB on your computer, all colors are a combination of these 3 colors.

This pic is in black and white, so maybe its not the color filters but others like infrared. But the magic number is 3, if 3 filters were used it would take 3 pics and there is your dot, taken 3 times, and if it was moving it would then be in different locations on each of the filters.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by salsaking
I read somewhere that all of these pics are taken using separate filters and are combined for the final image. Like RGB on your computer, all colors are a combination of these 3 colors.

This pic is in black and white, so maybe its not the color filters but others like infrared. But the magic number is 3, if 3 filters were used it would take 3 pics and there is your dot, taken 3 times, and if it was moving it would then be in different locations on each of the filters.

Out of interest I would like to know where you read this. Where did this information on three filters come from?

Just a bit curious as to where you got the information from.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm looking for it, i remember there being some similar anomaly that was explained using the cameras filters.

Yet another possible explanation:

barsoom.msss.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by salsaking
Yet another possible explanation:

barsoom.msss.com...

I don't know if you noticed, but the photo on the link you provided has 3 structures that are also nearly equidistant from each other at the bottom of the photo.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Yeah, thats what caught my eye when i first looked at it. I almost spit up my tea.

But back to my meteor theory, here's another animated gif just for fun...

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I believe the meteor theory...because when I first looked at those pictures the anomaly looked deliberately placed over mars without any apparent impressions surrounding the surface. And that must mean that what gives it the 'tunnel' effect would merely be the shadow of that meteor on mar's surface

[edit on 5-11-2006 by laiguana]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If it was a meteor, would'nt the shadow be farther away from the object depending on how high it was flying? the shadow suggests these objects are on the ground.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think that anyone that has an interest in those images should use the original photos.

Go to the PDS Software Download page and choose the NASAVIEW version for your operating system.

With this program you can view the original images as they reached Earth. In this case go to this page and choose Download compressed raw data in PDS .IMQ format or Download processed image in PDS .IMG format.

The IMG format has the data about the photo, like they show on the page from where we can download the images.

As you can see if you do this, the original images are a little different from the ones we are used to see.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I think that anyone that has an interest in those images should use the original photos.

Go to the PDS Software Download page and choose the NASAVIEW version for your operating system.

With this program you can view the original images as they reached Earth. In this case go to this page and choose Download compressed raw data in PDS .IMQ format or Download processed image in PDS .IMG format.

The IMG format has the data about the photo, like they show on the page from where we can download the images.

As you can see if you do this, the original images are a little different from the ones we are used to see.

Could you post those images here for all of us to see? I ask because you seem to have the ability to view them and I would rather not download the program.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the GIF converted directly from the raw data from NASA has more than 1.5MB, so Imageshack does not accept it, I will try other image hosting services.

Meanwhile, here it is something similar to that photo from Mars.

As you can see, if you click the thumbnail, this is a place called "Four craters", because it has ... four craters! Of those four craters, three are at similar distances, not as much as those structures in Mars, but enough to look like the picture that was the reason for this thread.

I forgot to say that this in the United States, in Oregon.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
Could you post those images here for all of us to see? I ask because you seem to have the ability to view them and I would rather not download the program.

Here is the image that was the reason for this thread.

The image is the compressed raw data in PDS .IMQ format, converted to a GIF.

I made no alterations to the image, this is the image just as it appears on the Nasaview program.

PS: sorry about the site where I put the image, I couldn't find a decent site that allowed a GIF with this size.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join