It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Get Attention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So I don't have very many posts, but I've been lurking here for a while because I really enjoy reading up on all the different topics. This past year has seen a plethora of ridiculous threads! I've come to a conclusion that I'd like to vent.

There are two ways to garner attention on these boards. Typically, both methods result in long threads. The first is to write a post about a topic that you've either researched thoroughly, experienced either first or second hand, or at least have a decent understanding about. This gets a subject stirring in the minds of the people reading it and opens it up for discussion like comments on your research or experience and sharing of other related ideas or theories. It's great, I love when this happens! It's informative for everyone involved, even timid bystanders like myself

The other way to garner attention, which seems to happen all too often these days, is to post either with a deceptive subject line (for example: PROOF!) with little substance, or to post an outright outrageous claim with no means or let alone intention of backing it up. This also includes posts that contain 'theories' which often consist of simply an imaginative idea with no clues provided as to how this person came up with said theory or idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about fun ideas that to some people can seem outlandish; I wouldn't be here if I wasn't. But I, personally, like my outlandish ideas to be at least somewhat derived from or based on facts, isn't that only fair? If someone just throws a crazy idea out there with absolutely no supporting info, then to me it's nothing more than poorly-written fiction, and that's NOT why most of us are here (that, of course, is an assumption so feel free to correct me if you feel otherwise). I mean at least John Lear will tell you outright that everything he says is nothing more than his own opinion.

I know I haven't said anything that hasn't already been said here by other people, but I just wanted to get that off my chest. I feel better now, like I just closed myself in a closet and screamed as loud as I could. Have a good one, everyone!

new topics

join