It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-117 Retired

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow, no big announcement, no media coverage, but the end of first generation stealth:

www.thestar.com.../Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1162421411280&call_pageid=968332188854&col=96835006 0724

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Stealth is quickly becoming obsolete, in the meaning that most people refer to it. The technology of the F 117 is very old hat at this point. Sorry to see such an inovative design at that time go away, but newer aircraft aquisition technologies exist now, and ye good ol F 117 is becoming more of a liability than an asset. We are beginning to see the introduction of new propulsion and camouflaging technologies that are going to take us to a new level. Hoorah for advancement, but sorry to see the old guard go by the way side!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
With CELLDAR in the works, most forms of stealth will become obsolete very soon.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It was a ground breaking bird, that's for sure. Just shows you how quickly technology is advancing in some fields. Can't wait to see them up close at a airforce museum, they just look so cool.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Urrgh, i think they're rather ugly!!

Each to their own, I suppose

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
aaaaa, could you shorten the url or use the hyperlink button in the edit screen? It's making the page too big for my browser...

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Didn't say they were pretty, just very unusual. They kind of remind me a flying horseshoe crab in some weird way.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Hmm, never thought of that, a flying horseshoe crab...

I do see it now...

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
sad dat indeed

maybe need funds elsewhere for new planes(more raptors)

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I dont think the plane is quite retired just yet.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The F-117 will experience a gradual retirement over the next 2 years. It's not as if all 52 Nighthawks have suddenly been taken out of service. It also is important to realize that Hollman AFB will be getting Raptors to take the F-117's place.

So what is the fate of the retired F-117's?
Museum pieces?
Scrap metal?
Buried in the desert somewhere?

No.

There are plans to use some of them as UAV's, that means unmanned VLO bombers folks...

[edit on 11-3-2006 by intelgurl]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
the F-117 is definitely an awesome aircraft.
It is sad to see it go, but i'm sure a Nighthawk UAV will be interesting to say the least.

Perhaps one will make it out to the Pima Air Museum down in Tucson.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
thats a pity that it's going into retirement, but if they are going to be mde into UAVs then I suppose thats quite good. If I remember correctly, weren't U-2s to be made into UAVs as well?

Still if they are being reired, why not reitire the older non-stealth planes while they're at it?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
With CELLDAR in the works, most forms of stealth will become obsolete very soon.

Oh please, everything has it's weaknesses, this is by no means a sure way of combating stealth aircraft much less making them obsolete, but to each their own, I suppose.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Stu,
Celldar is a warning device - it cannot guide munitions to target.

All it will do is tell the user that there are stealthy aircraft in the area and what part of the sky they are in and their heading - Stealth aircraft are still the most survivable aircraft during the "kick down the door" phase of any conflict.

Do you think an F-15 or even a Mig-29 would be more survivable than an F-117 in a dense EAD environment, even with Celldar, PCL, Romona, Kolchuga or Vera in the vicinity?

The F-117 would at least have a chance, the F-15 or Mig-29 would be down in flames long before an F-117 would be.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Intelgirl and Westpoint,

The UAV seems a logical choice for the F 117, and just to clear some air...I was not saying that the F 117 was obsolete, or at least I should not have. I was merely trying to say that with the additions of newer technologies, such as CELLDAR and others, that the F 117 was becoming less lethal than it once was. It is an ebb and flow idea, technology changes and then other technologies are developed to adapt.
The F 117 was one of the first stealth programs, it will not be the last!!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm curious intelgurl, if the F-117 becomes an unmanned platform does this mean that the USAF and Lockheed have no high payload true stealth UCAV's? Or that converting the F-117's is cheaper, more reliable and puts retired airframes to good use?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
There are plans to use some of them as UAV's, that means unmanned VLO bombers folks...

quite a good idea

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Engineering at the best. A great plane.

And even then intelgurl, it won't be the same thing

[edit on 3-11-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I just saw one flying at an air show last week. How sad and it is probably retiring to make way for the lightning 2 F 35.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join