It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1-liners in the Aliens&UFO forum are getting out of hand.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by thehumbleone
A lot of times I think one liners make the most important statements.

Half the time when someone writes something long, it's mostly babbling rhetoric.

One of the most helpful hints when replying onto a thread is actually reading it first.

It will save you the trouble of seeing how often what you wrote has been covered.

In this case about 6 times.

Anybody else get a different count?

What's wrong with saying it again?

If it's the seventh time, so be it, it's my opinion.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Because it saves people the time to 'splain it again, Lucy.

Are you under the impression that you are posting in one of those BTS 'points grab' threads?

This IS ATS, where posting actually requires a higher standard.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Rickey: "Te voy a picar si sigues haciendo una linea"

Lucy:Ok ok.....jeeeees.....

After sooooo many years of one line warnings, is there any doubt????

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Because it saves people the time to 'splain it again, Lucy.

Are you under the impression that you are posting in one of those BTS 'points grab' threads?

This IS ATS, where posting actually requires a higher standard.

Ehh? WTF are you talking about?

Right, sorry, I didn't know I was at mensa.org.

[edit on 5-3-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Some of the subjects covered on ATS are both difficult to articulate and scary to share with the general populace.

To post on this or any other public forum stating that you've been abducted by aliens takes more guts than I have. After you've soul searched for hours and then written a hasty and probably garbled account due to fear of being mocked, some git comes along, reads what you've written and says "what a load of carp, you are a moron". It just shows a lack of respect and reduces someone's dignity. If you don't agree, then say so and why. Ask for clarification and then criticise politely. If you still think it's carp, then go and read another thread!

If this were to continue, people visiting this forum would begin to realise that anyone with something sensitive to share will inevitably be an object of derision and will therefore walk away. The board would sink into obscurity as a result.

This goes against the essense and philosophy of ATS afaik and should be stopped. I applaud the mods for taking this on board and doing something about it.

There. No one liner in sight!

Grey

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Ehh? WTF are you talking about?

Are you actually serious that you don't know what Masqua means?

Right, sorry, I didn't know I was at mensa.org.

It's a good job too, you know there's a test to get anywhere near Mensa. In fact, you have to take a test just to see if you're smart enough to take the test. Luckily for you, ATS is open for everyone.

Oh, wait, I looked up your posts, it all becomes clear now. No wonder you're arguing in favour of one line posts.

It's times like this I'm glad I'm not a mod and that respect for the mods nudges up a notch. Patience and tolerance of saints required.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I have to agree with thehumbledone to an extent, one line posts
can in some instances be adequate, and in some cases very long posts
can be pretty much the same thing said in multiple ways.

However, that said, I do have to agree with masqua, the sheer
amout of one line posts, of which the majority add nothing, are way
out of hand in this section.

Anyways, that's all I have to say.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I've read some of the thread and this may repeat, but here are my views on one-liners:

Like anything, context is all.

A one-liner can deflate an aggressive bully or show up seriously twisted arguments by polemicists--of which there are far too many on all the ATS threads. It's especially rampant on the 9/11 board, and prevalent here as well.

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

Sometimes we need a good laugh, and a good riposte is always welcome. I'd seriously encourage you to consider creating a small bonus point award for pithy, cut-to-the-heart-of-the-matter posts.

By all means take away points for snide, rude, pointless posts. Please do so!

Also, some OPs are so weak or obviously polemic that they are simply begging for put-downs. Here I have mixed thoughts--sometimes it amazes me what takes off and becomes a long-running thread, but often these posts simply die of ridicule. How to regulate this problem? I don't think you should be point-debited for calling a spade a spade, short and sweet.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I think the whole "one-liner" rule is ridiculous. Let people type whatever they want, at whatever length they want...

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
What I think is funny, is the people on here that is bashing the people with putting one liners on post is they have one liners and then they go a preach against it. I have some one liners, but I try not to put one liners in everytime I post. I am not saying that you(who ever reads this) is only putting one liner post. I am just saying don't preach against what you practice.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   
One of the most confusing aspects about the 1-liner rule is that I perceive 2 types:

1) a short remark which is on-topic, adds to the discussion and, because of obvious wit or pertinance may even draw moderator applause.

2) a short remark which is off-topic, adds nothing to the discussion and, because of obvious ignorance or spite will surely draw a moderator warning.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join