It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1-liners in the Aliens&UFO forum are getting out of hand.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Masqua,

Thanks (I think), just playing around to lighten the mood.....this is the point in the thread where the other readers are scratching their heads with their eyebrows knitted and then they get a smile and a laugh at you and I messing with the thread!
See you round the forum Masqua, Peace Out

Mondo

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
Thanks (I think
Mondo

No, I was serious...that was a great example that at least a few like you are 'getting it'.

It really is not about just a single line of text in a post. It is about the quality of that line.

I've applauded 1-liners because they were on topic and contributed to the discussion.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I see moderators or people who have been moderators, popular people, and people who have been around for a long time post one liners all the time.

They should make it fair and square. If anyone posts a one-liner they should be punished by taking away 20 points.

And that doesnt mean going thru everything someone has posted over the last two years. i've been penalized for something i posted 8 months ago. That's ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
DGtempe , Your erroneous conclusion that an all encompassing prohibition on “ single line “ submissions is desirable , was most likely arrived at due to your failure to correctly interpret the message contained in single post : 2615457 , such a comprehensive discountenance of commentary based solely on an arbitrary “ more than a singular line “ edict , would in my humble opinion lead to excess and unwarranted verbiage and become self defeating , as above top secret members became adept at spurious long winded recourse , for no other reason that an attempt to circumvent the “ one line ban “
While Such verbosity would no doubt bring delectation to some [ hi majic ] it would not facilitate the objectives which the one line ban sought to address , namely a cessation of off topic banter , sniping and name calling without any attempts to deny ignorance or further the discussion in a meaningful way .

Or alternately – I could have said :

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
No , dgtempe : quality not quantity is desired . re read 2615457

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
No , dgtempe : quality not quantity is desired . re read 2615457

Now there's a 1-liner I can applaud.

posted on Nov, 21 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
By the fact that I am a contactee, I hardly ever post one-liners. I find myself constantly explaining my situation, which is now getting dangerous. We MUST be getting closer to disclosure, for the fact that life is getting very much like "The X-Files" for me. There is even a "Mulder". However, I am not a "Scully". I have not yet met a "CSM".

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sometimes, I get the urge to post a 1-liner.

Usually it's because I'm disgusted by something someone posted that's really way off topic, or, perhaps because a member didn't bother to read the thread before posting and typed something already covered.

In other words, I just want to say something sarcastic or snide so that whoever made me feel that way will maybe not do that anymore.

But, then I think to myself that it would be better to ignore such people and go read something else without responding. Within seconds I forget all about what upset me.

Then another member goes ahead and flames away, get's a 1-liner warn or worse and I think to myself..."Ya know, that coulda been me"

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
They aint nothing rong with posting a one liner at least yer adding something to the topic !

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human87
They aint nothing rong with posting a one liner at least yer adding something to the topic !

IF... if you're adding to the topic...IF

Yes...you're absolutely right...and if you had bothered to read this HUGE thread, you would have noticed that your point has been made and agreed to at least 5 times now.

Oh...wait...I said something about people that don't read threads before answering in my last post right above yours.

I'm starting to repeat myself

Yes...you're absolutely right...and if you had bothered to read this HUGE thread, you would have noticed that your point has been made and agreed to at least 5 times now.

IF... if you're adding to the topic...IF

[edit on 28/11/06 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Listen your gonna get people who are gonna add little silly 1 liners thats got nothing to do with the topic it will keep happening theres nothing you can do about it cause if there was you would have done it by now !!
oh and i did read the HUGE thread i wanted to add something thats got something to do with the topic

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human87
Listen your gonna get people who are gonna add little silly 1 liners thats got nothing to do with the topic it will keep happening theres nothing you can do about it cause if there was you would have done it by now !!

Oh, but I can do something about it. It's a small thing, really. It's called a '1-line warn' and I've been giving them out a LOT lately. That's why I made this thread...so that the members will know why we're doing it.

There's some members that don't care about losing points, but they're kinda in the minority. Usually, when someone gets that small deduction, they really get upset and send me very nasty U2U's about it.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Thank goodness you expressed: It really is not about just a single line of text in a post. It is about the quality of that line.
At times I have extended what I had to add to other peoples thread due to the one line rule.

As you are aware, and me as well, I've been dinged a couple times on it. I feel super-uncomfortable stretching a comment from one to three or four lines needlessly, to keep in-line with ATS practises and Policies, when the point or acknowledgement can be done in less.

To make it worse, there are comments made by respective Moderators that I'd say equal a line or less at times.
Thanks for the clarification, it's actually an important stickler with me.

Dallas

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I love it when someone actually sees what the main problem with 1-liners really is.

It's not just the 1 line...it's what that 1 line says.

If it's adding information, then it's cool with me.

If it's nothing but an off-topic slam or a bunch of smilies...it isn't.

Right on, Dallas.

You know...if you go to the first post which has a link to Simon's rule, you'll see that he says the same thing.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
What about a one-liner that either agrees with somebody's lengthy analysis (
) or that asks a pithy question?

Examples:

"How that *THAT* work?" or

"What if the opposite were true, and we were just subject to stonewalling?" or

Do you have any links to support your argument?

I think questions go a long way to progress any kind of reasoning.

: 0 Emily

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmilyCragg
What about a one-liner that either agrees with somebody's lengthy analysis (
) or that asks a pithy question?

The best advice is to stay on topic, avoid posts that should really be sent via U2U and not post stuff just for the sake of posting.

One Line or less Responses or "me too" atta-boy comments contribute nothing to the discussion. These include rows of smilies, "you're wrong", or other similar short responses.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The way I see it is that most of the people that give short 1-3 line replies are governmental agents that get paid very well to debunk stories with minimum effort! Why would they need to examine any evidence or ask any questions! For them, simple name calling and destroying a conversation with 1-2 lines is plenty.

P.S.> How much do they pay you? Is it worth lying your ass off and harrassing people? Oh, I forgot...it's a secret!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Generally,I think one liners are the product of someone being unknowledgeable about a certain topic. I too have encountered this problem from time to time. I have just about come to the conclusion that if you don't know enough about a topic to post at least a paragraph or two, then you probably shouldn't post anything at all. That's just my opinion though.

[edit on 31-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Sometimes one line is the only thing I can think of when I see some posts.

Sometimes the only thing that comes to my mind is "why?", the fact that people make long posts means nothing if the information provided in those posts is based on something the poster does not tell us, and that happens more in this forum than on other forums.

Also, English is not my native tongue, so sometimes I do not know how to say the things I am thinking, specially after a day of work.

But I try to avoid one line answers.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Sometimes one line is the only thing I can think of when I see some posts.

Sometimes the only thing that comes to my mind is "why?",

Artmap...from what I've seen of your posting habits, you have nothing to fear about 1-liners.

It's all about being on-topic and furthering the discussion. If there is a proposition where asking 'why' is needed...I don't consider that as the intent behind the 1-liner rule;

...which is to discourage stuff like

"I agree
"

or

"This sucks
"

or

"This cracks me up
"

and especially

"
"