It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine biodiversity under threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A scientific study published in the journal Science states that by the mid-point of the twenty first century there will very few marine species left in the world's oceans. There are number of different causes all of which are linked to Human activity.

news.bbc.co.uk
Stocks have collapsed in nearly one-third of sea fisheries, and the rate of decline is accelerating.

In 2003, 29% of open sea fisheries were in a state of collapse, defined as a decline to less than 10% of their original yield.

Experiments performed in small, relatively contained ecosystems show that reductions in diversity tend to bring reductions in the size and robustness of local fish stocks. This implies that loss of biodiversity is driving the declines in fish stocks seen in the large-scale studies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In some ways the report reminds me of the claims in the 1970's that the Earth was going to run out of oil by the year 2000. The estimated time line was wrong but the warnings were and are valid. Given the lack of action or ineffective measures taken to combat climate change I cant see world leaders taking any measures to prevent the loss of marine biodiversity.

First world countries and countries that don't owe the world bank an ocean of debt may be able to develop the likes of genetic food in order to make short falls in there countries food supply once there are no longer sufficient food stocks to feed the population. The people that will suffer the most from the loss of marine species will be the people who have fished the world's oceans for thousands of years in small native crafts. Those people may not have another main source of food.

Its worth noting that there has been a reduction of biodiversity on land as well as at sea and that there isn't a single reason instead there are a number of different causes which are contributing to the problem including pollution and bottom trawling .

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 11/2/2006 by Gools]

[edit on 2-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
We lose biodiversity as the health of our planet diminishes and as we lose biodiversity, the quality of our own lives diminish. We may never see a wild tiger or a right whale at sea, or a live and thriving coral reef but they are all part of the web of life as are we and as Chief Seattle pointed out....that (a paraphrase) when all the wild places and things are gone, when everything has been tamed or destroyed we go from living to survival. I am all for progress but we can do better than this...if only people and corporations would stop looking at JUST the bottom line...The world is being laid waste by people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

[edit on 3-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
They need to charge these Corporations that are systematically destroying our planet with attempted mass murder of not only this generation but of those not yet born and of all the species whom share Earth with us.

I cant see how the world can make the transition from Mean to Green, the USA for a start in wallowing in so much debt that it simply cant afford for its economy to shrink, but they also cant afford the enviroment we are creating for that will herald the same end result.

We actually need a depression like that of the 1930s to save this planet, Mankind needs to go backwards so it can go forwards.

A good start would be placing complete focus on removing fossil fuels from use especially Oil and Coal.

Anyways ive gone a lil off top.

So after this report maybe the slogan will be " Save the Fish" rather than just " Save the Whales " ?

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The article says within 50 years...in other words possibly within our lifetimes.

I lived and worked in Maine from the mid-70's into the early 90's and the collapse of George's bank (the prime fishery for New England) was dramatic. In 74/75 when I was in the Coast Guard up there fishing boats were everywhere on the banks...by 78 when I worked one off the banks for a season catches were already diminishing. By the mid-80's they were in free fall and by the early 90's the feds were buying up and scraping fishing boats and severely limiting the ones that remained...thing is though huge corporate fishing vessels (from countries like Portugal and Spain and Russia and Japan) over 800 feet long with a dozen or more feeder ships were still allowed to work the banks. We tried to inspect those boats when I was in...but they are just too large and full feeder boats could stay away while we were there and unload after we left.

Its not one countries problem its a world problem and we have to address it as a world problem....something this administration will not do.

We are leaving our grand-children a far poorer world than we inherited. Sad, real sad and real preventable.

new topics

top topics

join