It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of American Grit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is an interesting article about the future of America and the world. I haven't seen it here yet but I think it will generate a good conversation. I hope it's in the right forum...

www.birminghamweekly.com...

The next generation, the PlayStation Generation, is destined to blow us all up. They were raised indoors, they have never caught a bug in a jar or built a clubhouse or climbed a tree. All they know is computers and video games. They have phones.

While you’re preparing your kids for the disappointment of a life with no coping skills, you’re simultaneously taking away any magic childhood is supposed to hold. I know people that don’t give their kids the joy of Santa. They don’t want to lie to their kids. No Tooth Fairy, no Easter Bunny, no Boogie-man. Your 6-year-old is not prepared to handle the truth! That’s the point! You are supposed to gradually let them discover what is real and what isn’t. Let them develop some skills to deal with this harsh reality, while letting them enjoy being innocent while they still can. I am nonplussed.

“I don’t want to teach my kids violence.” That’s fine. I’m sure that China will be more than happy to teach your precious Caitlin and Trevor all about it. They’ll teach them that the occasional smack upside the head would have done a lot more than making them go to their rooms to explore their feelings. By sparing the rod, you’re welcoming the Red threat to our shores with open arms, you pinko-hippie you. Guess what? China hates hippies more than America. Peace.

J'Mel Davidson has noticed the same things I have and sees it going in the same direction. What will happen if there are no bullies to stand up too? Is our famous American Grit being taken away from us- even though there will be times we need it?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I searched "American Grit" and this old post came up with no replies. The article went away but it's still true.

The 'anti-bully' wave currently covering the nation isn't new. They did it in France before WWII. When the Germans rolled over the border a bunch of ill-prepared Frenchies were looking for teacher to tell. Who will our children be poorly equipped to face?

This was posted in '06 after decades of deterioration ...the current OWS crowd really never had a chance.

join