It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aquatic transportation***New Technology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I was watching a show on cable and if I understand correctly, it talked about a new submersible technology!
Basically, there is a vessel (let's say a submarine) that is surrounded by a membrane of some substance, maybe air( they did not say), that keeps the vessel free of the restrictions of friction while underwater. Essentially, the vessel can travel at great speeds, I mean hundreds of miles per hour without actually even getting wet. I suppose it it sort of like traveling in a bubble of air?
Anybody have any insight or more info on this??

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
sounds interesting , never heard of it , what channel, what is the show, we need more info.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Old idea, look up supercavitation

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Ya,as Nacnud posted,nothing new. I believe the new iranian torpedo everyone was making a big deal about used this. More like and underwater missile.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Thanks so much, great link! Any ideas as to whether this technology is being applied to modern vessels??

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
I was watching a show on cable and if I understand correctly, it talked about a new submersible technology!
Basically, there is a vessel (let's say a submarine) that is surrounded by a membrane of some substance, maybe air( they did not say), that keeps the vessel free of the restrictions of friction while underwater. Essentially, the vessel can travel at great speeds, I mean hundreds of miles per hour without actually even getting wet. I suppose it it sort of like traveling in a bubble of air?
Anybody have any insight or more info on this??

The name under which I have heard this described is as others have posted...supercavitation. However something for some to consider. As depth increases...pressure increases...the bubble collapses at a certain depth to insignificance. Another problem is that you dont make a fatal mistake and lose depth control and get crushed at speed because of a stupid mistake. The speed at which you have to travel to make a bubble is considerable.....then factor in depth/pressure. Also if you lose speed at depth hence bubble will you then be to deep and be crushed?? Depth control is a absolute necessity here.
At high speeds it would not take much of an error to go to deep...at any speed.
This type of system is one usually used not far from the surface...in otherwords ..not deep.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
while it does indeed sound like the proram was talking about supercavitation. You may also like to try looking up drag reduction using microbubble injection. (lots of tiny bubbles rather than one big one). while it does not reduce drag to the extent of supercavitation it is a little more practical on modern vessels (the US is fielding a trial system at the moment).

Orange has again stated clearly the problems of applying supercavitation to something like a modern submarine.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Thanks to all who replied, especially the supercavitation links!
That makes lots of sense when the dangers are factored in to the depth issue. I would imagine the inherent dangers of pressure implosion would me magnified to a great extent the faster that an object goes.
Definitely not a good way to go I would imagine, the dangers woul seem to become exponentially risky!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Dont kid yourself..... Speed and danger has not prevented space travel. It has not prevented race car drivers from the next technology to go faster on the track or even on our roads. These too are horrible ways to go but it hasnt stopped the science or the art/craft.
Sooner or later this technology or modifications of this know how will be put to use for some practical reason. In my mind most likely this will be done with improvements in robotics..or automation. Not necessarily manned submersables. This is in essence what a supercavitating torpedo is....a unmanned robotic submersable. It just happens currently to be a weapon.

Paperplane UK is correct..work is also being done on systems to reduce drag verses pure supercavitation. THe search never ends.

Remember this about technology...there are people here in the United States who lived long enough to take their children to the train station in a horse drawn wagon...and then lived long enough to take thier great grandchildren to the airport to board Jet Airliners.
Time and the technology continue. All this built on the know how of others who came before us.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
OrangeTom,
Very well put, about the technology as it improves and the people that have really seen some dramatic improvements! That's not to say that we haven't and/or won't, BUT, at this time/day/age.....would anything really ever blow your mind anymore? Technology is advancing so fast that it would really take a lot to WOW us anymore...sort of a paradox I guess!

Thanks for the post, Mondogiwa

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
OrangeTom,
Very well put, about the technology as it improves and the people that have really seen some dramatic improvements! That's not to say that we haven't and/or won't, BUT, at this time/day/age.....would anything really ever blow your mind anymore? Technology is advancing so fast that it would really take a lot to WOW us anymore...sort of a paradox I guess!

Thanks for the post, Mondogiwa

Yes ...well put on your part this time around. It does sometimes take alot to Wow us anymore.

I'll tell you what Wows me. Running into people who can still do jobs or tasks manually...the olde fashioned way...without alot of high tech and with simple but dependable skills. I call this Manual Overide. Those who can think outside the box and problem solve. This is the kind of thing that Wows me.
Dont misunderstand me...the technology is great and improving all the time. Just dont get totally dependent on technology. Learn to accomplish certain tasks manually as well as with technology. Dont become to dependent on technology. As much as possible make the technology serve you ..not you the technology. To many people I know dont know what to do with themselves if they dont have high tech around them all the time.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
OrangeTom,

"Posessions posess you, that's why they are called posessions."

Just a quote I heard once, bit it can be aplicable in this situation too.

Manually doing things is becoming a lost art in some ways,I agree, it is nice to meet people who are not only intelligent, but wise....I think the difference is significant there! Technology as you say is great, but let's not put to much faith in it.

In the famous words of Darth Vader in Episode 4, A New Hope.....;"Don't put too much faith in this technological terror that you have created." Right before he chokes the admiral and says, "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Anyway OrangeTom, I like your line of thought, Peace Mondogiwa

top topics

join