It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jelly Bell cops are a little sensative

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Poor babies can't take a little criticism.

www.cnn.com...
WINTER HAVEN, Florida (AP) -- Police Chief Paul Goward was tired of looking around his department and seeing blubber hanging over the belts of some of his officers. So he sent out a memo exhorting the "jelly bellies" to shape up.

In the end, the department lost 190 pounds -- all of them belonging to Goward. He was forced out as chief because some of his officers took offense at the memo.

The October 11 memo bruised feelings on the 80-member force, drew at least one anonymous letter of complaint from officers about the chief's management style and made his department the butt of jokes about fat cops and doughnuts.

He goes on to say that overweight cops are a danger to the community, and to their families. Specifically, if an officer isn't in good enough shape to apprehend a criminal using basic physical force, they may revert to more dangerous, possibly deadly methods of apprehension.

Makes sense to me.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Yeah I read that too... it was actually well written and he didn't single anyone out. The guy makes a good point.

You need to be fit in order to become a cop, but you don't need to stay fit. They should have yearly fitness tests for cops. Those who fail get stuck on speeding ticket duty with less pay. Those who are fit get to be the REAL cops who actually protect and serve and they should make more money too. The system needs some changes.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
And the man lost his job over it. I'm sure he'll find another, but it's still rediculous.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I am personally acquainted with Paul and can tell you that he is the very finest example of what a "Cop" should be....

His background and credentials will enable him to literally go anywhere he desires...

(Except to a "Jelly-Belly Department.. LOL)

Way To Go Paul!!!!

Semper

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
And he got fired for this?!?

That's simply ridiculous, there grown (apparently to much) frikkin
men, and they can't take the criticism?

Goddess, this is political correctness gone wrong.

I think he should get promoted, get a raise, an apology for being
fired, and the jelly-belly cop wanna-bes should all have to report
to mandatory physical fitness with a mandatory diet plan.
And if they don't, they get fired.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Technically asked to resign....

But essentially the same..

Semper

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
They have desk jobs for these jelly bellies in every department. When most of them are jelly bellies, it poses a big problem, not only in catching criminals, but because it costs the city more money on their health care.

If I were a criminal and saw a police officer like officer Ronnie Coleman chasing after me, I'd turn myself in.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Plus, if a young man (16-25) is running, and the cop can't catch him, the cop is more likely to pull his gun and say "Stop or I'll shoot". Then, more likely to shoot. A healthy cop would be able to run him down, restrain him, and then beat the ever living $#!+ out of him. I'm not for police brutality, but it's better than excessive force that leads to death.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Raso,

We nee more people like you...

Want to be my Chief?

Semper

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Believe me, I've been on the receiving end of a baton before, and it's no fun. I'm actually pretty sure I could have taken him too, if I wasn't afraid of being shot. And I'm pretty sure I could have gotten away if I had run, but silly me, I thought if I went peacfully the law would be on my side.

I'm very rarely a fan of the police, though there are a few that I've met who are pretty cool. My concern is for the safety of the people. Unhealthy officers have mood swings, bad judgement, and are dangerous to themselves and their partners. If some out of shape cop starts a shootout, and gets some innocent bystanders, or another officer shot, it's never good for the community.

I'm not saying these issues are specific to unhelthy officers, but the more we can narrow down these instances the better IMO

new topics

top topics

join