It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britons 'Most Spied Upon' In World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Interesting article...

Britons 'Most Spied Upon' In World

What's it all leading to?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I cant say much for the British.. They don't have balls to stand up and fight what is wrong, they cant get up and say that they don't like camera every 2 ft, they will enjoy being chipped in 10 yrs.

I have nothing to say to them, I can see why our forefathers broke away from the motherland.....

British people take note. This is not freedom it is jail. You like jail? Do you enjoy it... Then fight it.

::EDIT::

I do have something to tell you guys..

GO watch and memorize 1984 read ot watch the movie. That will be you in another 10/15/20 yrs.

[edit on 11/2/2006 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
twenty percent of the worlds cctv cameras are in britain
just heard this on sky news

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
I cant say much for the British.. They don't have balls to stand up and fight what is wrong, they cant get up and say that they don't like camera every 2 ft, they will enjoy being chipped in 10 yrs.

I have nothing to say to them, I can see why our forefathers broke away from the motherland.....

British people take note. This is not freedom it is jail. You like jail? Do you enjoy it... Then fight it.

GO watch and memorize 1984 read ot watch the movie. That will be you in another 10/15/20 yrs.

You can't say much about anything.

In the U.S. we may not have cctvs everywhere, but we have the government tapping our phone calls, NSA using private companies to keep tabs on us, plus retina scans and thumbprint scans of all foreign visitors coming and going in the US.

Add to that, in most states you must give a thumbprint scan for a drivers liscence, and our data is constantly shifted from cooperation to coorperation.

Stop throwing stones.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   

I cant say much for the British.. They don't have balls to stand up and fight what is wrong, they cant get up and say that they don't like camera every 2 ft, they will enjoy being chipped in 10 yrs. I

have nothing to say to them, I can see why our forefathers broke away from the motherland.....

The irony being that America is already (and has for some time) living in an Orwellian nightmare.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Stop throwing stones.

Agreed.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Yeah, because nothing like that could happen in the good old US and A right, right?

Still, now i've brought this to your attention i'm sure you'll load those massive cojones of yours into a wheel barrow and march right up to capitol hill to protest. Just like i'm sure you did for the Patriot Act (1 & 2) & suspension of Habeus Corpus etc

We may get Big Brother but, your gonna get Big Uncle Sam

Oh, and it appears from your edit, you do have something to say to us, pity its so ignorant of facts its nothing worth hearing

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
sometime's I'm ashamed to be an American with people like ThichHeaded

anyway
I'm not surprised to hear this about the UK really, no offense to anyone
it's sad how much control government's want over it's people, I mean this as a general statement for all places

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
And the microchip of course... What's the state of play with that in America? And over here for that matter?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahall999
sometime's I'm ashamed to be an American with people like ThichHeaded

anyway
I'm not surprised to hear this about the UK really, no offense to anyone
it's sad how much control government's want over it's people, I mean this as a general statement for all places

This is the thing though, how many of the cctv cameras are government controlled? Not very many, if any at all. The vast majority are in private residences and businesses for security purposes. The only ones that are controlled by the authorities, are run by local councils, mainly for monitoring traffic congestion and motoring offences. Of those that are in use in city centres, they are there because thats where most crime occurs. Then, they can be used to direct police to offenders, or more commonly be used to secure convictions at a later date. I'd be willing to bet that if ALL cctv systems, in homes business and public, were counted up in the US then the figure would be pretty much equal to the UK.

The reason we don't get all up in arms about it is because by and large most of us feel safer for them when theyre placed where we're most likely to need them. Quite frankly its rediculous that people think we're living in a Big Brother government controlled state when we're not. And to say that Brits don't have the stones to stand up and be counted when needed is stupid. If you read this report from the BBC, you'll see it was the governments information commisioner who compiled the report! And he wants debates to take place to see what should be done about it!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
As times are changing, new ways to protect people need to be instated.

Putting cameras everywhere does not mean the government is trying to control everyone in one big Brother conspiracy, nor are they going to start monitoring thoughts. All it means is that they have video cameras! If you are walking around minding your own business as MOST people do, and you aren't putting together any bombs or trying to break into anything

then don't worry!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I cant say much for the British.. They don't have balls to stand up and fight what is wrong

I could be provocative and say..

Hey mate. We were the first ones into the world wars fighting for other countries' freedoms!!! EMMM.. How long did it take the Yanks to join in?

But I won,t

Instead I,ll say.. they could put a camera on me day and night and not even notice a thing I do... coz I,m a regular law abiding citizen
kinda..

At least the cctv,s are in the open and if you mess up in front of them that,s due to the person,s idiocy.
Now in the good old US??? hmm??Phones tapping/fraudulent elections/Giving out your details to Israeli billing companies?hehehe..

I think I,ll stick with my tired old cctv,s and a fat,regular,bored old common garden working guy getting through his shift and picking up a cheque whatever goes on in front of him,Including me peeing on a local Bobby,s police car when I,m drunk

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by cobber
twenty percent of the worlds cctv cameras are in britain
just heard this on sky news

I live in Manchester, and we can be watched by cctv, by the controller, walking from one side of the city to the other. Cameras in shops, streets, some with facial recognition, some capturing car registration plates to resolve and crack down on car crime etc.

How does it affect me?...... errrrr it doesn't. It makes me feel safe, knowing that there are people watching out for possible signs of trouble. If you obey the law, you have nothing to fear. It's the laws like your patriot act that I would fear the most.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The daft thing is people instantly equate security cameras to being watched, but really, with one per every 14 people, who's going to watch them?

These tapes get destroyed every 40 days, unless a crime incident happens to be acted out in front of one.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all these cameras being placed in public places? If you're in public you're fair game. It's when these cameras become intrusive to your privacy that it becomes an issue. The way I see it is that it's not much more different then having more officers around the city monitering what's going on. This is just more efficient.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
That,s what I don,t get.. It,s not as though the guy watching is focussed on anyone that isn,t looking like they,re blatantly suspicious..
They,re only scrutinised AFTER a crime has been commited or if lucky,DURING,When someone could be lucky enough to have their life saved during an assault and witnesses too.
You can even insist on seeing all footage that you have appeared in.

I thinks there is a secret agenda going on in America that makes people so afraid... C,mon guys...what ARE you up to then?
I won,t tell

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Jeebus!

I would make a comment on this, but I think others have summed it up nicely.

CCTV is, on the whole, used in shops and public places to record images in case a crime should happen. That way, someone will be punished. It's not as if the Government controls them all...

Also, I think it's ironic that you choose the name you have for this board and then spell it incorrectly. Thichheaded? I think you should subsitute the h for a k....

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I think it's ironic that you choose the name you have for this board and then spell it incorrectly. Thichheaded? I think you should subsitute the h for a k....

Nice call on the name there.

I didn't say that to piss anyone off.

As were I live, I don't need a fingerprint to get an ID, if I did.. I would be the Alex Jones of PA. No way I would do that.

I do know there are cameras everywhere I go.. considering the average American is taped about 2500 times or so while out doing their thing during the day.

The chip.. I wouldn't do that if they paid me a good sum...

And everything else big brother, I am aware of in the states, as for right now here in my little town, they don't have that crap. So I can freely say that.

But see I think there will be a point in time when the American people wake up and realize this isn't what we want.. When that happens all bets are off.

Anyway I didn't mean that as a dig to Britain's but hey.. I call it as I see it.

And yes I have a saying for Americans also.

If we are so free, why does it seem like were are in jail.... Think about it....

Ohh btw the title of this thread is "Britons 'Most Spied Upon' In World".. Its not to far off that I am right.. See me in a few months then make fun of me.. for now I am almost right.

Edn

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The title of the article is a little misleading "Britons 'Most Spied Upon' In World"

When in fact almost 80% of all CCTV in Briton are privately owned for shops, centers etc. I've been in these security rooms several times and seen the people who "spy" on you and me. the reality is these people who spy on you are no different than you and me and in fact most of the time they there only looking at people on the cameras when they get a report in to find a missing child or some kid who stole a bottle of juice from a shop. As for the other 20%, 10% of cameras are fake and the other 10% is government controlled.

(note i did make up those percentages but you get the idea.)

Oh and id also hazard a guess that 60% of all Britons cameras are situated in London. Thank god i live in Scotland with a population lower than that of London its self.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Edn]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The UK doesn't feel like jail to me.

I don't know whether is because we're so tightly packed together here compared with the US, but I suspect we're more comfortable with the idea of being in public view outside our own homes, so it doesn't really matter if it's a camera that can see you, or just "people". If you want privacy, stay at home or go to the countryside.

There's also so much "petty" law breaking in the UK that most people have a good idea of what they can get away with, and what elicits a response from the authorities and what doesn't, and that sets the parameters wide enough that people don't find their lives overly cramped.
e.g. we're not worried about thought police knocking on our doors for posting on the internet, because we know the security services have their hands full tracking islamic extremists... or we don't worry about smoking a spliff in public at Nottting Hill Carnival because we know the police are too busy trying to stop muggings and stabbings. We still speed on motorways, we still drink underage.

In a way it's like the old problem of too many laws and not enough resources to enforce them. There's far too many cameras for anyone to actually watch. There's a real safety in numbers. I many be on camera 100 times a day, but that means in london around 12 million people are on camera around 1.2 billion times in total. who's gonna notice little old me?

Apart from traffic enforcement cameras, which are the bane of every UK driver, we don't really think about them.

edit : plus, we know how to demonstrate or kick up a fuss if it's required. The US may have their "right-to-bear-arms" as a security blanket and last resort against an oppressive regime. We understand the power of crowds. A barmy army off football hooligans, mayday anarchists and the ability to mass millions of people in the streets of Westminster within 24 hours. Just compare the size of a UK demonstrations with a US one.

It's all gives us a sense of security.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by nowthenlookhere]

[edit on 2-11-2006 by nowthenlookhere]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join