It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators To Exxon: Stop The Denial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Two U.S. Senators have sent a letter to oil giant, ExxonMobil, calling on the company to stop it's sponsorship of groups who actively advocate against the science of climate change due to green house gases and other factors. A new study reports that ExxonMobil gave financial support to 19 such groups in 2004 alone. The senators say that they are convinced that ExxonMobil's financial support of these groups and their access to Washington policymakers, have made it increasingly difficult for the US to take a leading role in the fight against global warming and accompanying climate change.

abcnews.go.com
WASHINGTON, Oct. 27, 2006 — ExxonMobil should stop funding groups that have spread the idea that global warming is a myth and that try to influence policymakers to adopt that view, two senators said today in a letter to the oil company.

In their letter to ExxonMobil chairman and CEO Rex Tillerson, Sens. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, and Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., appealed to Exxon's sense of corporate responsibility, asking the company to "come clean about its past denial activities."

The two senators called on ExxonMobil to "end any further financial assistance" to groups "whose public advocacy has contributed to the small but unfortunately effective climate change denial myth."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The fact that Exxon is supporting these groups is not very surprising, given what the oil company stands to lose in revenue, should they ever be called on to retool their refineries, or should "alternative" fuel sources become more available to the public. However, they need to be called on the carpet for their interference in the fight to curb global warming and climate change, if only because they do it not for the good of the world but for financial profit.

Related News Links:
environment.about.com
today.reuters.com
sev.prnewswire.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
'Dead zone' startles scientists
Global Warming Suspected In Increased Hurricane Intensity
Record profits for Exxon & record pay for CEO

[edit on 11/1/2006 by Stormrider]

[edit on 1-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I was a bit suprised to hear that two senators told the oil company that. But am also glad they did so.
I also think that the first thing that will happen is that the oil companies will be giveing massive financhal support to what ever mentally challenged biped is running against them.
But if nothing else I think this might be a start for the government to maby start takeing the look for althernant fuels a little more seriously.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
While it was nice to see an appeal to a sense of corporate responsibility, that is as far as the Senate should go, imo. No legislation supporting it should be proposed. Otherwise, it would amount to a form of censorship.

And, really.... $19 million since 1990? The other point of view has received $6 billion in promised money the past month alone.

[edit on 3-11-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
I was a bit surprised to hear that two senators told the oil company that.

Their probably trying to get on Exxon's "payroll." They were probably (hopefully not) feeling left out and had to show Exxon what kind of influence/power they have.

Let's just hope they were sincere about this and maybe others will follow suit.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
As far as I know Exxon is the only major that has outright stated they reject all global warming data and theories. It's beyond me how they can take that position.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
As far as I know Exxon is the only major that has outright stated they reject all global warming data and theories. It's beyond me how they can take that position.

Because they can.

Global Warming is a theory based on a few years of data cooked up for an agenda. The same people used weather patterns and temperture data in the 1970's to try to convince everyone that Global Cooling was the big problem.

Who cares if they waste their money trying to supress evidence of Global Warming, which is still only a theory? The truth of it -will- surface.

My beef is the supression of non-petro based energy production technology. People can point to all these different areas of research, butnoonewill everconvince me that Big Oil wants alternative engery even TALKED about.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Okay, I can't agree with your rejection of the global warming theory. And here's why - the risk of being wrong in that rejection is far too great. There's absolutely nothing wrong with working to clean up your act no matter what your act is. Any man-made pollution should be minimized.

And I totally agree with you on alternative energy technology...everything you said about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The letter boils down to one Rockefeller writing a letter to another Rockefeller. Both are laughing behind the curtain.

Just another false position aimed at people who don’t realize who Jay is, or that his family owns Exxon, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, Amoco, BP of North America, Atlantic Richfield, Marathon, and many other companies.

Jay (who is vice-chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee) consistently appears in the public setting to oppose his families holding, while behind the scenes he consistently performs opposite maneuvering designed specifically to further empower his families giant empire.

Yet people continue to swallow the false front.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

The letter boils down to one Rockefeller writing a letter to another Rockefeller. Both are laughing behind the curtain.

Just another false position aimed at people who don’t realize who Jay is, or that his family owns Exxon, ConocoPhillips, Chevron, Amoco, BP of North America, Atlantic Richfield, Marathon, and many other companies.

Exxon, Conoco and the other companies you mentioned are all publicly traded and are owned by the stock-holders. The days of the major oil companies being "owned" by families like the Rockefellers are long since gone.

And, FYI- BP North America is a subsidiary or BP Worldwide which is a UK based corporation.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormrider

Exxon, Conoco and the other companies you mentioned are all publicly traded and are owned by the stock-holders. The days of the major oil companies being "owned" by families like the Rockefellers are long since gone.

And, FYI- BP North America is a subsidiary or BP Worldwide which is a UK based corporation.

Who owns most of these shares? the banks. who owns shares of these banks? other banks. who controls all these banks?

I honestly don't know but it's kind of naiive to believe that a corporation is owned by an anonymous crowd, isn't it?

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
I honestly don't know but it's kind of naiive to believe that a corporation is owned by an anonymous crowd, isn't it?

Not when you factor in the pension plans and 401K's that total in the hundreds of billions of dollars.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Okay, I can't agree with your rejection of the global warming theory. And here's why - the risk of being wrong in that rejection is far too great. There's absolutely nothing wrong with working to clean up your act no matter what your act is. Any man-made pollution should be minimized.

And I totally agree with you on alternative energy technology...everything you said about it.

While I do agree that working to clean up our own acts is noble, it isn't really a scenario that is likely to happen, and it isn't the fault of Big Oil, it is the fault of consumers of Big Oil.

People ingest Trans-fats in large quantities KNOWING there is a risk it will kill them.
People smoke KNOWING there is a risk it will kill them.
People have unprotected sex KNOWING their is a risk it could kill them.

We COULD (and often do) blame Fast Food companies, Tabacco companies, the Media, Big Oil and others for our troubles, but the truth of it is if we blame these companies for our problems we give up the everything we hold dear as independant free thinkers and confess to be the sheep upset with our shepards.

We might as well sign our Declaration of Dependence now.

But I digress...

If the United States completely stopped pollution in all forms, right done to human methane production, would it matter? China and India are gearing up for an Industrial surge that could literally send smog around the world. So, even is we as Westerners DO clean up our acts, who is to stop China and India from capitalizing on the crippling effects that doing so will have on our economy?

And now that I sound like a complete jerk, I will take my leave.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
big oil runs the gov't, if they do not like it or it threatens the oil industry they buy em out. example the tucker engine was bought out by them. companies today get offers to be boaght out by big oil. if you go against the flow of big oil when you have power, you end up missing or floating in the nearest river. big oil runs our gov't. right now big oil is having some problems in the gulf cause of the mad iranian president over there with nukes , threatenning to blow it up. our gov't and the nations cannot have this cause it threatens our economy. big oil does not like anyone digging deep into there pockets. these senators will not even scratch the surface of exxon , big oil.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso

Jay (who is vice-chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee) consistently appears in the public setting to oppose his families holding, while behind the scenes he consistently performs opposite maneuvering designed specifically to further empower his families giant empire.

Yet people continue to swallow the false front.

Barclays Global Investors Intl owns the largest "stake" in Exxon at 4% or 243,751,312 shares worth about 18,020,534,496.16 Dollars U.S. Just goes to show you how big Exxon is. They are the second largest pension manager in the U.S.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
A bi-partisan intiative:

Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, and Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va.

top topics

join