It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo moon photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
While viewing Apollo photos, there were a few that are really curious. Or, maybe I've been reading the John Lear moon pictures thread for too long.

1st photo is a strange glow/illumination that doesn't appear to directly correlate to the sunlight

www.lpi.usra.edu...

2nd photo - there were 2 photos of this item. Odd for such a large square block to appear on the moon's surface/horizon.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

3rd - strange light/orb that appeared in the sky that could probably be explained as glare but, there were several photos of this orb taken by the photographer with the orb appearing in slightly different locations.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
those are some gd photos ive never seen them b4 thanks for posting them

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The second photo of the square is certainly odd....
Not sure what the light is in the third picture is either..

[edit on 1-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
nice, thx - the Lear photos have some great detail as well - but I have a hard time making out the 'artifacts', 'ancient cities', and such others are seeing there. At least here you're telling us what it is and then zoom right in or clearly show what the image (might) be.

Question: I'm trying to do some analysis of photos from the BACKSIDE of the moon, but hi-res photos are VERY difficult to come by - even trolling for hours on the internet. A few NASA archive and Russion grainy stuff - but nothing hi-rez or close-up. Any leads in this regard????

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
i really like the pic that neil armstrong took of the cigar shaped alien space craft parked in the crater, don't know how they let that slip out

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
How can that second picture be of a "square block" sticking up above the Moon's horizon ? If that were the case, then why does the small crater near the bottom of the picture appear to be viewed from directly above ? In addition, why does this Moon have a bright sky ?

Come on, guys. You'll have to do better than that.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
You might start at the site below. Apollo 15, 16 and 17 carried scientific mapping cameras to perform orbital surveys along the ground track of the orbiting command module. They cover only 20% of the lunar surface.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
They're very pretty pictures but I don't think picture number two is some funky 2001 obelisk sticking up out of the ground.

Looking at picture one in your first link it's obvious this was a photo taken on the ground by one of the astronauts.

Picture two (from the second link) is a mapping photo taken from the lunar module. The module was not in stationary orbit but zipping around...and as mentioned previously it couldn't map the whole moon only what was in it's orbit.

The Lunar Module pilot would take pictures over the same areas and then a large mapping photo was made by putting all the (or best) photos together like a jigsaw puzzle.

What picture two appears to be (at least to me anyway) is a mapping composite. What your eye is seeing is a trick, your brain is trying to define depth and place of the object.

But if you look at the picture as if your staring down at the surface of the moon, it becomes clear that the "obelisk" object is simply the last composite shot of the area. The surrounding grey is the undeveloped photo paper (correct me if I'm wrong) because there were no corresponding photos taken by the lander either due to time or orbit.

Edit to add: by surrounding grey I mean the upper whitish/grey area above and around the "obelisk".

This is still done with the mars rovers and orbiters and all mapping satelites from clementine to cassini.

SOmeone correct me if I"m wrong please.

But in my opinion 1 and 3 are pictures taken from the ground and 2 is a composite put together with pictures taken from the orbiting lander module.

Spiderj

Nice pics though.

[edit on 11/2/2006 by Spiderj]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Thanks south - been there. Not very much and not very detailed.

There's so much talk of bases etc., on the back side that an analysis is overdue and I'm having a hard time getting any data. The lack of data - even after plenty of missions by US and the Ruskies makes me think there may be more conspiracy fodder on the back than there seems to be on the front!!

Fr everyone else on this thread, take a look at the companion thread and video at: Moon Controversy

Keep looking up!

jra

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southcoast
1st photo is a strange glow/illumination that doesn't appear to directly correlate to the sunlight

www.lpi.usra.edu...

I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly. Do you mean that brighter piece of ground? If so, that's just a wall of a crater that's angled and facing more towards the camera/sun, thus it looks brighter.

2nd photo - there were 2 photos of this item. Odd for such a large square block to appear on the moon's surface/horizon.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

That square isn't really there, it's just something in the film magazine. You'll note that it's the last photo on that film magazine. It's just a junk photo that didn't work out. You'll see photos like this at the beginning and ends of film roles some times.

Other similar examples.
www.hq.nasa.gov...

3rd - strange light/orb that appeared in the sky that could probably be explained as glare but, there were several photos of this orb taken by the photographer with the orb appearing in slightly different locations.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

It's just a lens flare. Here's a higher quality image. www.hq.nasa.gov...

And yes it will appear in different places. You'll notice them in the panoramic shots especially.

And other examples...
www.hq.nasa.gov...

Anyway you get the idea.

new topics

top topics

join