It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran, Syria Plot to `Topple' Lebanon's Leadership, U.S. Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The US government accuses the 'axis of evil' of plotting against the current Lebanese government led by Prime Minister Fouad Siniora.

www.bloomberg.com
Nov. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The Bush administration today accused Iran and Syria of plotting to depose the Lebanese government of U.S.-backed Prime Minister Fouad Siniora.

The U.S. is ``increasingly concerned by mounting evidence that the Syrian and Iranian governments, Hezbollah and their Lebanese allies are preparing plans to topple Lebanon's democratically elected government led by Prime Minister Siniora,'' the White House said in a statement.

The Bush administration said there are ``indications'' Syria is trying to disrupt passage of a statute by the Lebanese government permitting an international tribunal to try those accused of involvement in former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri's assassination. The U.S. statement noted that an international tribunal can be established ``no matter what happens in Lebanon.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Should it actually happen, Lieberman would never allow Hezbollah to enjoy ruling Lebanon for a very long time. He'd probably bomb Lebanon more aggressively than last summer. After all, his greatest wish is a Middle East without Arabs.

Such a ''revolution'' would be a great strategic move from an Iranian/Syrian perspective, as it would further isolate Israel.

Anyhow, war in inevitable in my opinion, it might initially start between Iran and the US, but it would most definitely spread throughout a great part of the Middle East.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
today.reuters.com
www.sfgate.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
IT looks like things are pushing closer to full blown war

[edit on 2-11-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   

increasingly concerned by mounting evidence

Well, I would like there to at least explain what this evidence is, if there is in fact any.

indications

I think if we are going to throw out these accusations, we should be entitled to know what these indications are?

I for one do not believe war is inevitable at all.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Gee I wonder which intelligence agency fed Bush this info. This is all backpeddling now. The war in Lebanon was a big loss for Israel. Our government dragging its feet , thinking that the Christians would turn against the Muslims and start another civil war, making it easier for Israel to step in and do what they wanted fizzled out when instead it made Hezbollah even more popular. Now they see he (Nasrallah) is getting ready to gain more political power and is more then likely going to try and run for higher office, which he will probably win. Israel will not allow that and of course we will end up backing Israel even though it was our own fault for not pushing for a cease-fire sooner, and of course it will be that Iran and Syria are behind it when in actuality it was our own fault for letting him become a hero.

I want to pose this question. Why is it ok for Israel to install a known fascist and racist like Lieberman (Which the OP has already made clear is a hawk because of his reputation and statements) into government when they believe it serves the interests of the people, but when it comes to Palestinians or even Lebanese to vote for and elect the people that they feel suit their needs its automatically bad and there is some kind of "Foreign boogeyman" attached to it?

If Bush cared so much for the Lebanese people who were pro-American before the war, he should have made more of an effort to stop the killing of Lebanese people instead of having his lackey Rice make statements like "Its not time yet" and sending Israel extra bombs via fedex. Its too late now to act like Lebanon is a concern of America. We know its just a concern to Israel that this is important and to make this association with "The Axis of Evil" to make it seem illegitimate.

Open your eyes people.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'm just curious why the Bush administration doesn't mind making public their accusations against Syria, but then behind the scenes they run torture camps in Syria for suspected terrorists.

What is this love/hate relationship between the US and Syria? Outward they seem hostile, but when digging deeper they appear to have stronger affinities.

It's like how Bush & Co. claim to support freedom, but then Bush doesn't mind kissing the king of Saudia Arabia where the government represses people to such a great extent.

What does Bush & Co. have to gain by making this public?

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I'm just curious why the Bush administration doesn't mind making public their accusations against Syria, but then behind the scenes they run torture camps in Syria for suspected terrorists.

I have said this before and I'm willing to bet that in actuality since technically Golan Heights is Syria , thats probably what they meant.

new topics

top topics

join