It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion At E-bay's Paypal HQ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
There is not a lot of information right now as the investigation is ongoing. However they are saying the explosion was not an accident and looks like it was set intentionally. There were no deaths or injuries, but a window was blown out and the building was shut down and evacuated.

today.reuters.com
SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 1 (Reuters) - An explosive device blew out a thick, plate-glass window Tuesday evening at the Silicon Valley headquarters of PayPal, the online payments unit of eBay Inc. (EBAY.O: Quote, Profile, Research).

No injuries resulted when what local fire officials said was an explosive device shattered a 6-foot-square window on the ground floor of the four-story building in San Jose, California. The explosion occured outside a building exit.

Investigators were still trying to determine the nature of the device. "Whatever it was, it disintegrated," San Jose Fire Department Capt. Jose Guerrero said. "Whatever caused this was pretty strong."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder if this is some lame attempt at domestic terrorism, or just a Halloween prank gone overboard. Somebody is pissed at Paypal for some reason, that’s for sure. I’m going to hold my analysis until some more info comes out.

Related News Links:
news.com.com
sfgate.com
www.mercurynews.com

Edit: Title.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by intrepid]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It had to happen sooner or later. Someone paid ten grand for a piece of toast with the supposed image of Jesus on it, only to be horrified that the image was really that of Gene Frenkle.

[edit on 2006/11/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well, just to ease any fears, I just did check my paypal account, and the funds are still there. It's working, no probs. *phew, sweat denied.*

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Well, there is definitely no shortage of hate for PayPal. I hate them myself, it's so easy to have your account completely messed up, in which you lose every bit of money you have in there because you somehow or another violated their "TOS" so you lose "your money". There is tons of hate for the corporation, but The employees weren't the ones at fault, so I hope people are ok. If I had to name ten hated companies, this would be one of them.

Needless to say, I wouldn't bomb anyone over money. I wouldn't bomb anyone period. However there are nutso's out there that would.

I hope everyone is ok.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There is also no shortage of love for Pay Pal either. At lest among the pro cashless society, crowd.

I believe it to be a training tool/ testing ground for the future cashless system. A stepping stone from credit cards to Biometric payment systems.

It's not a surprise to me that someone would be angry, it's pretty difficult to turn your pay pal money into cash, that you can use outside of the e-bay/ internet world.

I’m not sure however that this bombing was intending to interrupt the Pay Pal system. I think it was some mentally unstable idiot.

edit:spelling

[edit on 1-11-2006 by Halfofone]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halfofone
It's not a surprise to me that someone would be angry, it's pretty difficult to turn your pay pal money into cash, that you can use outside of the e-bay/ internet world.

Nopers. It is actually very easy to turn your Paypal funds into cash, simply by using the Paypal debit card, which any account holder can apply for. You can then use it at any ATM to withdraw cash, albeit with daily limits, just like any other bank debit card. I also enjoy the 1 percent cashbacks I get with every purchase made using the Paypal debit card.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
well there you go. shows what I know...

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Regardless of whether it is easy or difficult to get the money it is unacceptable in this country to express your displeasure by blowing something up.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

How is it difficult to get cash from your paypal money? You deposit your paypal money into your bank account via paypal. Go to the ATM. Bingo, cash in hand. It is actually very easy and convenient. I do it all the time.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by zerotime]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
Regardless of whether it is easy or difficult to get the money it is unacceptable in this country to express your displeasure by blowing something up.

Actually I'm almost positive thats a staple of our country since the beginning of its inception.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
..., it's so easy to have your account completely messed up, in which you lose every bit of money you have in there because you somehow or another violated their "TOS" so you lose "your money". ...

Having been with Paypal since last century, I know of no legitimate cases where one lost their money using paypal legitimately. In every case I have ever read about, monies lost were usually monies stolen or defrauded anyways by the account holder. Nothing like a ponzi scheme operator or fraudulent ebay member scorned, but legitimate users never seem to lose their money.

There used to be a site out there that just caters to pissed off paypal retiree's,... and if you study it carefully, most of the complaints and allegations are from the site operator himself. (thru obvious alias' of course)

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Earlier today I heard my parents speaking about E-Bay, they mentioned something about a price increase that was introduced after E-bay posted their financial gains. I'd do some more research but I have to go to bed soon, work tomorrow, hope this info helps. If it was posted already I appologise, I haven't read this forum topic much, my brain is mush right now.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I believe eBay increases recently posted are for their Store feature.

I can understand when they were letting members sell things with a .02 cent listing fee in the store, it was taking away from their auction base. They bumped it to a .05/.10 cent listing fee and bumped up the final value fee on store sales.

Resetting the Balance of the eBay Marketplace

They are an auction site, and the business structure should support the core product, not the cheaper secondary product in my opinion.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by smirkley]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
A lot of people liken paypal to loan sharking and other such financial institutions. Somebody out there wanted to send them a real message that they would not soon forget.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Then they need to focus their misdirected frustrations toward the more established sharks,..

... like the common banking system, (Chase, BBT, etc) as they are much worse in that analogy.

I honestly though, have never borrowed from PayPal (ie-sharking), only used them as an online payment mechanism using my own money, or to recieve money from someone else in which case I would dump the money into my own bank account afterwards.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by smirkley]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Maybe the bomber got worked up in a voilent rage after spending too much time on paypalsucks.com

Take a look at the forum "horror stories", cerianly a lot of angry people.

it is unacceptable in this country to express your displeasure by blowing something up.

too true. but hey one mans unaccepible action is another mans statement.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Maybe the bomber got worked up in a voilent rage after spending too much time on paypalsucks.not

Take a look at the forum "horror stories", cerianly a lot of angry people.

That is the exact forum I suggested earlier in my post.

Note all the old posts, in fact, very few new posts,..
Note all the unregistered users, I hate forums that dont require you to register, it leaves it open for falsehoods. It is also a very very poorly moderated site.
Study the posts, if you are pro-paypal, you get hammered to death there.
Study them harder, and you begin to see several alias' that are the same personality but with different names.

Most importantly, if you are trying to make an honest point with a site like that, you dont exclusively advertise alternate payments services using an simple merchant account that nobody has heard of before. It damages any credibility in my opinion.

too true. but hey one mans unaccepible action is another mans statement.

Yup, just ask Timothy McVeigh

[edit on 2-11-2006 by smirkley]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I beilive you smirkly.
I'm not anti-paypal by any means. In fact I have never had issues, and I think it is obvious by my previous post about turning paypal to cash, shows my lack of experiance with selling on e-bay.

as for the second sentance you quoted it was somewhat tounge in cheak, how ever true it may be...

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
A lot of people liken paypal to loan sharking and other such financial institutions. Somebody out there wanted to send them a real message that they would not soon forget.

I'm confused ... why would paypal be likened to loan sharking? They are a 3rd party service that collects and distributes funds and takes a cut for doing so. I have shopped on several online sites using paypal and all my ebay purchases are done through paypal ... never had a problem and I'd much rather give my credit card/banking info to a 3rd party company than a complete stranger.

[edit on 11/4/2006 by SmallMindsBigIdeas]

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I don't agree with bombing them for what I am about to say.. besides I don't even know where tf they are..

Anyway to my happy story with paypal..

On one fine day around feb few yrs ago... I was meandering to my bank statement and stumbled across something that i was -1800 bucks in the red.. I was like pulling my hair out and was like WTF man How the hell can I be - 1800 bucks in the red...

Anyway according to paypal I was the brand new owner of a over priced Plasma TV. hmmm.... Sure.....

Anyway I contacted Paypal via email(no answer) and by phone(the guy really didn't give a rats ass about my problem really) and told him what happen or didn't happen. Needless to say My bank made me pay up 1800 bucks that I "stole" from them...

Anyway good times, good times...

The notes about being happy and good times is strictly sarcasm.. Just so you know.. I was really cheezed off about that..

[edit on 11/5/2006 by ThichHeaded]

new topics

top topics

join