It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orions Belt

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
I long for winter to come by as it is very visible and very close at this particular time of year. Seeing Orion brings me comfort and a feling of well being. I dont understand why and in no way am i suggesting i am decended from Orion or anything like that.

Orion is my favorite constellation. In addition to his striking shape, how can you go wrong with stars named Bellatrix and Betelgeuse?

also: there might be a gift coming from out of his belt this coming spring: we shall see.....

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thesaint

For a while I was watching the stars and using planetarium software. Saw different messier objects with the telescope. Was very fun and magical because it's real. The most magical moment happened on a clear crisp night when I was peering up at the arm of our galaxy. For a moment, it felt like I was gaizing across a vast distance at something clearly concentrated and far far away. I almost felt like I'd lose my balance. The feeling of spatial distance was strong. Other than that moment, one night I was looking at Aldebaran and I can't remember the details of it, but the next day I read something about Aldebaran and something was odd about it. Funny I can't recall. Maybe it was a feeling? Not sure. But something - like a coincidence - made me remember it.

Isn't it inspiring to look up at a messier object and to realize it's a galaxy? It seems so unreal.
edit on 3-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

'
It could be that it is the most recognizable land(space)mark out there. People can identify Orions' Belt before they can identify one of their own planets on a particular night.

So it may just be the recognizable factor that's involved. But then again, whose to say. Maybe if you gravitate towards that and feel a kindred spirit then, maybe you ARE from there. I personally think we're all part of the All.

Now, I'm not sure but is Orion's Belt a part of our 12 (13?) Zodiac?
If so, which sign?
And if not, why not?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

For a while I was watching the stars and using planetarium software. Saw different messier objects with the telescope. Was very fun and magical because it's real. The most magical moment happened on a clear crisp night when I was peering up at the arm of our galaxy. For a moment, it felt like I was gaizing across a vast distance at something clearly concentrated and far far away. I almost felt like I'd lose my balance. The feeling of spatial distance was strong. Other than that moment, one night I was looking at Aldebaran and I can't remember the details of it, but the next day I read something about Aldebaran and something was odd about it. Funny I can't recall. Maybe it was a feeling? Not sure. But something - like a coincidence - made me remember it.

Wow. You don't find what you just wrote, odd? I mean.....you were looking at Aldebaran (that's in the Pleiades's, right?) then......you coincidentally read about it the next day (or, were you looking it up?) but yet, you don't remember?

Me's thinks you were having one of them-there ethereal (or missing time) experiences.

Try to remember. If not for you. For me
because I am very curious for some odd reason.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I don't remember. Nothing big. Just blurted out without thinking much.

I think it was just something coincidental that left a fading impression on me. Like if I had been looking at a star and then found myself reading about Aldebaran and discovered it was the same star I had been looking at the other night (unaware of the name). Something like that. Maybe not as interesting, though. I don't think you'd be near as interested if I actually remembered.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Everythingyouknowisalie

lol...i have that on my ass and shoulder lol

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I have never posted on ats but have been a long time lurker! I had to sign in properly as your post really applied to me also. Since I was young I have been drawn to space but especially Orion. I have a picture of it as my screen saver on my phone, laptop, touchpad, list goes on! Whenever I look at it I have a feeling of belonging and as though there is something I have forgotten or can't quite remember. I am also born in December, wonder if it does have a connection? Nice to know I'm not the only one!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

you are deff right my friend, Orion also puts a smile on my face, I look at it first thing at night time and than next i look at is Pleiades constellation. Look at the Orion's belt and its nebula is the best thing i have ever seen in space with my bino's

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jamesgrnstd

Hi James

I am not alone!

Since I can remember, and I'm 50....EVERTIME I turn my head up to look at the stars (I love them ALL), I'm looking DIRECTLY at Orion. I have asked others, and gotten some strange looks...but never a kindred spirit. I have absolutely NO IDEA why, or how this happens....or what it must mean. I am mathmatical, by nature, and the absolute nature of this is amazing to me. Does it have something to do with how the stars were arranged on the day of my birth? Is there an astronomical association I'm not aware of? The questions about this are many.

Some facts:

I am a Cancer.

I am a Tiger in Chinese Astronomy.

I am the youngest of 3 children.

I am most at peace in the ocean.

I am drawn to seismic locales. (Lived in California, Alaska, and Costa Rica....among others)

And last....but I suspect not least, there is an odd relationship with the Moon. When she is full, there is often trouble and disharmony in my day. NOT created by me....it comes from her.

Has anyone else responded to your post? I've searched online many times regarding this...and seeing your words today was the first of any kind of substantiation.

I hope to hear from you. I hope this finds you healthy and happy.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I'm strongly drawn to the Pleiades. Not through a sense of fascination or observational appreciation, but by a deep sense of longing & dare I say homesickness. I've always felt this, since I was a small child. I used to stare out my window for hours until I could no longer see it, just staring & missing...something indescribable.
Although, as I understand it, there's no solar systems, at least not ones old enough to be habitable, in the Pleiades cluster, so I wonder if I'm instead drawn to an dust-obscured star behind them? Of course, this would be assuming life recycles itself and I'm not merely just "stuck" on the Pleiades (reincarnation, multiple lives, different levels of existence, etc)

Interestingly, I also have a freckle pattern mirroring Cassiopeia (the big W) on my forearm. I've always found it comforting for some reason. Not nearly the same deep emotional reaction as with the Pleiades, but comforting like a cosmic shoulder pat.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
"The galaxy is on Orions Bah, bah, belt." Men In Black 1
One of my favorite movies. Orion is "The Hunter" Plus, some others claim that several places on Earth corresponses with Orions Belt. The pyramids in Egypt, and in south Amercia(?) I miss seeing it in the sky. Funny thing....seemed like I saw it one night, and not the next???

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Honestly, I find myself doing that to the moon as opposed to orion....

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

There is way more out in the Universe than we think. The matter of Probability, there is hundreds (Millions?) of stars that can have "The Goldie Locks Zone" A zone that is tolerable to us humans.

We need H2O, in any Chemistry Class, the formulas they use, it is kinda like, H2O is an understoood fact that H2O fits somewhere in the equation. Basic building block for life, and also Carbon

Where there is water there is life.
edit on 6-9-2012 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LokiUK

I'm sorry, but I have to agree you, Kinda off subject....But some pictures from Hubble, Just blow my mind. I feel a connection when I see those pictures.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hello. I've stumbled into this site by researching my curious draw to Orions Belt ( since I was a small child) Always I have gazed at the night sky and seen this constellation first , right away, without searching, no matter where I was in the world! It's like I instinctively know where it will be and I immediately look at it. I am particularly drawn to the three stars of the belt and have, just in the past few years, experienced a " home like" feeling when I look at it..I know it sounds odd but I fight the urge to blurt out " I'm from there" when I'm with people..lol. I've actually said those words in jest before to others but deep down something in me wonders..I am pretty much a sane, none crazy, individual but I am also a Scorpio, and an O neg. Blood type so I wonder about myself. I was born with a sixth sense as well and can often sense things before they occur and even have " visions" and dreams that predict future events..Hmm. its nice to see I'm not completely alone in this for once
My bf jokes that I'm an " alien"..
hmmm

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: m1ndyclark
I think people notice Orion's Belt easily because it's three bright stars near each other, in almost a straight line, and seemingly equidistant from each other...

...But that's just my personal opinion on the matter. Others may have differing opinions (and welcome to ATS).

By the way, in reality, the three stars in Orion's Belt are not really near each other. Two of them are very far away from the third (and relatively far away from each other). In fact, the "left hand" star, Alnitak, is much much closer to earth (about 380 light years) than it is to the other two stars (it's about 1700 LY away from the middle star, and about 1000 LY away from the right hand star).

So the three stars in Orion's Belt have no real relationship to each other "out in space". They only look that way when looking at them from our part of the galactic neighborhood.

edit on 2/7/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The Orion constellation is easily-recognisable and pleasing to view due to its geometry. But what makes it really special for me is that it contains the Orion Nebula, which is not only (relatively) large and beautiful, but also is the only nebula easily visible to the naked eye or binoculars in the Northern Hemisphere.

For those of us without a telescope, stargazing is usually limited to seeing the stars and a galaxy or two. The Orion Nebula extends that into the realm of all those beautiful nebulae that we see in astrophotos.

Here's a great astrophoto of the Orion Nebula: billsnyderastrophotography.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Part of the attraction of Orion for me was that it was the most (again, for me) easily identifiable of the constellations, and the one I first really identified when I started getting interested in the stars in my teens.

What's odd was I had the opposite experience with the Pleiades. When I first noticed them I had weird feelings, almost of doom. I don't feel that way much anymore...they're just stars...but the first feelings were odd.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaint

Constellations don't exist they are a product of the over active imagination of primitive man. Just to show

Orion has seven prominant stars:

Betelgeuse or Alpha Orionis at 643 light-years
Rigel or Beta Orionis at 772 light-years
Bellatrix or Gamma Orionis at 243 light-years
Mintaka or Delta Orionis at 900 light-years
Alnilam or Epsilon Orionis at 1359 light-years
Alnitak or Zeta Orionis at 800 light-years
Saiph or Kappa Orionis at 724 light-years

The sun is closer to Bellatrix in Orion than it is to most of the others !

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Yeah, but the relative visuability is what makes it for us here on earth, just like your "eye" avatar creates a 3D perception through observing it going back and forth.

Even given all the unbound expanse of space, the easily-recognisable geometric shapes is what we get for our limited perceptions to recognise and follow.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join