It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orions Belt

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sparky,

Be my guest. I'd be honored to have it grace your screen.

ps. I think it was on topic..After all it's a photo of Orion, and a meteor!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'v always had the urge to look for orions belt ever since i was a kid, its strange, feels like i have to look at it, i remeber the first time i was shown it by my grand dad, he was pointing out stars to me when i was about 6 - 8 years old but i'v forgot all the other names of stars except these ones, it always feels like i'm being pulled towards them like somethings making me watch out for something to happen, its a strange feeling and hard to explain in words alone

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Ricky B]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

This is a small lower res version of orions belt....the full res one i will post if any one wants to see it...truely stunning picture of home is it not?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
same here it has an overwhelming but welcoming effect. Times that by 10 and thts what Orion does for me. Why? I dont know.

Just a thought here but we all are made of star stuff, so maybe its natural when you look up and see a constellation like Orion....it's almost like looking at your parents.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Bizarre I stumbled on this thread. Interestingly, I will be the first to post no connection to Orion at all but two systems seem to be "tugging" me but they are Lyra and Draco. Perhaps one day I will learn it means something or maybe I will learn it was nothing at all. I'd still like to go there.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thats good as this thread is not just about orion so it is nice to see someone with a connection to a different system.

To me the 3 stars of Orions belt hold some great importance of what i dont know.

We can see Orions belt in 2d but does anyone have any idea of the distance between these 3 stars in 3d. ie not the distance to the left or right but in depth between them. Are they truly aligned or are the distances so vast?????????

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
Are they truly aligned or are the distances so vast?????????

The distances are vast. It's the magnitude that makes them appear similar in size and distance. I am sure I will be corrected if I am mistaken.

apc

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Apparently all three of the belt stars are roughly 1500 light years away.

Google results

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I had a look at that and that would appear to say that all 3 stars are infact at almost exactly the same distance away from us as if perfectly aligned. If that is the case them i find that very spectacular

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yes, I too feel a sense of "relief", or something when I notice that Orion is back in the Fall and Winter sky again. Also sadness when I notice it's gone in the Spring. Like others have said, it is not really explainable (at least in words).

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Join the club you are now officially an Orionoid

Cant believe so many think the same way i honestly thought i would be laughed at for posting this thread

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If they are aligned, it does make you wonder but there are so many things that are a little tooooooo convenient around this wacky universe of ours. Too much seems designed somehow.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
You want me to pst the big huge 1280 x 1024 image on a host site?

Its beautiful beyond words!

Heck, ill post it any way so you all can see what i see every time i turn on my PC!

It'll take some time to load 'cause its huge, but by God is it worth the wait to see such an amazing image... 1.02 Mb in size... Truely an Orionoids wall paper if there ever was one.

img167.imageshack.us...

apc

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well... they aren't aligned. Any one is offset from the other two. And since you can't really say two points are "aligned", there is no alignment. Close, but no.

That they are relatively on the same plane from our perspective is also insignificant. From only one other perspective are they on the same plane, directly opposite us.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Now that this thread has taken a semi-scientific turn, I figured I may as well chime in...

Here are the distances of the stars from Earth. In image format, compiled from Starry Night Pro.

So, they're really not "aligned" in any particular way, except in almost a straight line. But then again, so are dozens (hundreds, really) of bright stars in the sky.

As already stated, I think the only reason that people feel attached to it is that it's so easily identifiable...

EDIT TO ADD:

The distance from the stars to each other are...
Alnitak to Mintaka is 94.15 lya.
Alnitak to Alnilam is 525.6 lya.
Mintaka to Alnilam is 432.0 lya.

[edit on 11/3/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

apc

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
ahh yes

It's worse than I thought!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Still they are of such particular alignment that people are interested by it for a long time

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
My father loves Orion, more than myself and my mother. Says the same thing, it brings him a sense of peace and well being, here I thought he was simply crazy haha. Very interesting to hear others have similar experiences.

jra

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I think people like orion because its so easy to identify.

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
As already stated, I think the only reason that people feel attached to it is that it's so easily identifiable...

Exactly. It was one of the first constellations I learnt when I was little, along with the big and small dipper.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yes they are aligned is what I am told they have certain dimensions.In reference to the Orion constelation.Oh by the way anybody with a good telescope should check out the Little Dipper every now and then one might actually see a Starship bouncing in between the star cluster of Little Dipper, doing preventive checks.The ship itself is at least three times the size of the stars at most 1/10 ratio.

[edit on 6-11-2006 by menguard]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join