It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question regarding Information on Individuals available on the Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hello readers and ATS members,

After reading a statement on another discussion forum, I wanted to raise this topic on ATS. The statement I read was something to the effect of seeing how much 'dirt' the poster could come up with on someone else who he perceived was causing problems for him (or her).

I've heard it said many times that you can 'find out' anything about anyone on the internet if you 'know where to look.' This wouldn't be disturbing except for the fact that the average person more than likely does not know how to check this information for validity and accuracy, much less where to look for it.

For the average person (not a criminal for example) what exactly exists on the internet for 'finding dirt' on other people? The person who was being referenced to in the statement above I assume was also not a criminal or person who would have in truth been a matter of concern for law enforcement, and I wouldn't ask except for the fact that I've heard (and read) this type of statement on more than one occasion. If this is in fact true, then do people not have the right to know where entries came from (the source), and to review and correct the records? Except in a legitimate law enforcement scenario where information legitimately needs to be kept confidential, the kind of 'dirt' that the poster was referring to perpetuates malicious (and untrue) slander - if it's true that he or she could come up with it from the internet. In this case, it was evident that causing problems was the intention of the one who made the statement.

Where exactly would one go on the internet to find this dirt on oneself or on another person if it does in fact exist? And could such 'dirt' originate from ex spouses or disgruntled ex employees, for example? Sorry if this question sounds stupid or naive for those who may be more knowledgable than I on the subject, but I'm sure there are many, many people who aren't so in the know who would like to review the entries.

Thank you for any responses,
Threadofhope

Attn: Mods - my apologies in the event I posted this topic in the wrong category. I didn't see a category that would fit this topic any better over on BTS. Once again, my apologies just in case.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by Threadofhope]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Surely someone can add to this discussion? I couldn't be the only one who has heard this before. As stated in the prior post, the last time I heard this (in the discussion that I made reference to above) it was very clear that the person's intentions were malicious.

I'm not necessarily referring to legitimate, court records and such. I'm not talking about information that is legitimate. I'm referring to 'information' that a person would have no idea was being propogated. Where is this stuff (the unofficial yet official information) and who are the sources?

join