It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VW Concept Car of the Future: The Nanospyder!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   
www.gizmag.com...

www.thecarconnection.com...

This is the Nanospyder, a VW concept car that completely escapes the gravity of conventional wisdom of car design. The name, is not just tacked on, it's telling people that this futuristic car will have extensive nanotechnologies within it that sound more like Sci-Fi then reality, but when you dig down and read their plan, it becomes more feasible. Microelectromechanical machines(MEMs for short) could do this, if we manage to shrink down a number of computer components that is. What do you people think of this radical concept?

The team met its brief by thinking well beyond current manufacturing techniques. According to its creators the Nanospyder would be formed out of a latticework of billions of tiny programmable nano devices measuring less than half a millimetre in diameter. Each of these tiny devices can be programmed to be as strong or weak as required meaning active crumple zones can be created. The ‘spine’ of the vehicle, onto which the rest of the components are attached, remains immensely strong.

Clothing the nano-lattice are panels formed out of a mix of organic materials some of which can inflate to provide further cushioning in the result of an impact. The material doubles as a power source as polysynthesis generates small amounts of electricity. This coupled with hydrogen fuels generates power to drive the tiny electric motors mounted within the hubs of all four wheels.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
in the words of a man who can only be described as me, this idea is "quite dope"

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
That is truely amazing!I think i read in another web site that VW had designed a car that could drive itself.I believe the site was "unexplained mysteries".I'll see if i can dig that up.very cool find though!

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk... link to the self driving car.It has a video also,pretty cool.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by crowpruitt]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Here is a whole documentary of a whole competition for cars that drive themselves.

www.pbs.org...

[edit on 1-11-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Aww, c'mon, this is soo cool. theres gotta be more people with interesting stuff to say aobut this.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
So the "engine" is in all the wheels?
The Tire reminds me of the old old cars, how they used a slab of rubber around and that was there "suspension" and what help it grip the road.

That car looks like it would get an F- in a crash test.

The thin sleek body looks like a speed bike...except of course it holds 2 people, and 4 tires, and 4 motors.

basically...I dont like it.
It looks like it would be cramped...
I dont have the cash for a new car...But if I did...I would pick the Chrysler 300C...ahhh yeeeah.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I don't like it either, it seems more like a future race car then a car for everyone.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
till VW will make that care Japanesses promised that thay will make in 2014 flying cars

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Seems no one read the links(or totally absorbed them). Oh well.

I don't like it either, it seems more like a future race car then a car for everyone.

Where does it say it's a production prototype? It's a concept car that hasn't even escaped the drawing board(and will not for at least 20 years either most likely).
The concept isn't how it's designed either, it's how the young designers see how it's put together(entirely with Nanomachines).

[edit on 2-11-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 2-11-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I dislike the design, but the techologies it's meant to be a possible
demonstrator for are quite cool.

I don't know if I'd feel safe in a car made of nanomachinery though,
I mean I know it c/would be alot safer than a car today in some
ways, but the thought of the car being made up of little machines
holding on to eachother is sort of a turn off for me, however my
scientific side far outweighs that side, I'd definately want a care
using this technology, just not that particular design, as it does
look like a race car more than anything.

top topics

join