It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
One of my close friends has seemingly become the intended victim of an internet based scam, and it has been brought to my attention that there are many, many similar fraudulant activities going on all around us on and off the web.

The purpose of this thread will be to highlight as many instances as possible of electronic muggers so that the slightly more niaeve individuals such as my dear friend can realise instantly and keep thier money safe.

If you would like to address the theory on the whole, or the effects, or even suggest a remedy or detterent for these computer criminals, please also feel free to do so.

If you yourself have been taken for a ride please, please document your experiences here, no matter how daft it sounds, as I am positive one of the best ways to stop the problem is to bring awareness to it.

Regards xSMOKING_GUNx

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
To get us going, here is a link to the seemingly ridiculous scam that my friend was aproached with via her email:

Millions

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Here's one I ran into last year:

I ran an ad in Auto Trader to sell a car. I was contacted by someone who claimed to have a client overseas that wanted my car. I was selling the car for $12,000 and they offered $20,000 from an overseas wire transfer and I was to send them $8,000 back cash or wired.

I kept in contact long enough to get Auto Trader and Yahoo!(email account) involved. Once I had enough info I forwarded it to A.T. and Yahoo!. I never heard anything else about the incident other than "thank you, we'll look into this scam".

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Thanks for your time Katolu.

And the scam heads up, anyone else?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I bought somethign awhile ago called the Internet Treasure Chest... It gave you an online story and they had a warehouse.... You were supposed to make thousands a month... They ened up getting around $300 from me.

A good website for this kind of stuff is: Rip-Off-Report

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What scams?

Ive already received over 13 Million British Pounds from a long lost relative AND pocketed a cool 4 M U.S. simply by helping a gentleman get money out of his country. All of that in a matter of a month. With that money I plan on putting a down payment on my ride to the International Space Station. The Internet is simply oozing with opportunities like this, you just have to know where to look!

LOL

top topics

join