It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Sea is about to die!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 10:59 PM
link   

If you are planning to go for a float on the Dead Sea, do it soon -- because scientists predict in the next 50 to 100 years you will be seeing a lot less of it.

The mineral-laden sea that separates Israel and Jordan is famous for its medicinal and therapeutic value, and is so salty that swimmers flock to float in its waters.

But scientists say the Dead Sea has shrunk by a third and the water level is retreating by three feet, or 90 centimeters, each year.

www.cnn.com...

The Dead Sea is actually a really inteesting place. Read th article, there's a whole bunch of facts that you probably didn't know.

The Jordan River is the Dead Sea's lifeline and its water is used for agriculture and in cities and towns.

Sorry, couln't resist.

Now if we ever have to do a map of Asia in history class, and someone says "I can't find the Dead Sea!", I can FINALLY righteously say "Maybe it's because it's dead!!".

[Edited on 11-11-03 by Saucerat]

[Edited on 11-11-03 by Saucerat]

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I thought Isreal was "reviving" it by pumping the salt out...

Now wait a minute! Doesn't that explain why it is shrinking then?

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Israel is desparate for water.

They have just finished a major de-salination plant on shores of mediterrean sea.

I would expect more to come as the population grows.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by eagle

Why pump the salt out? It's already a tourist attraction because it's so salty (really, i don't see the joy of going halfway around the world to a dying body of water just to float in it!).

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Apparently the saline solution containing various trace metals and other minerals etc, has theraputic value. That is part of the attraction.

Wonder if water is not being drained from this area?

When one draws on the underground water tables it often decreases water levels in above ground bodies even if there is no apparent connection.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by eagle

According to the artcle

The Jordan River is the Dead Sea's lifeline and its water is used for agriculture and in cities and towns.

Almost everyone agrees the best plan would be to stop diverting water from the Jordan River.

Right now Israel, Syria and Jordan use about 90 percent of the river's water, leaving precious little for the Dead Sea.

But experts say there is virtually no chance authorities will ever agree to stop diverting water from the Jordan River.

That's unfortunate, though. I think it would be a neat place to visit, regardless of the tourist attraction, something should still be done for preservation of the body of water.

new topics

top topics

join