It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puberty Hitting Girls as Young as 4 Years Old

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   

"The switch that normally gets turned on for pubertal development gets turned on too early," said Dr. Diane Stafford of Children's Hospital in Boston.

abcnews.go.com...

Any speculation on what is triggering this? 4 year olds?
Even the doctors dont know!

Comments?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Could it be growth hormones in the milk from cows?
What about the birth control pills flushed out through urine being recycled in the water we drink?
I have noticed girls have bigger chests at a really young age but this is just crazy.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

No, since there aren't hormones in the milk.

What about the birth control pills flushed out through urine being recycled in the water we drink?

No, since there aren't hormones in the water.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Wrong on both counts Nygdan.

BGH is in US milk and there are many chemicals including pharmaceuticals and hormones found in municipal drinking water. Both have been covered on ATS.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
So Nygdan,

What do you suppose it is?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Why does there seem to be a racial component to this issue too? This is very strange and I wonder if it has ever happened before? If this trend continues then there could be lots of repercussions in future eg. childhood pregnancies.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
In early humanity human's didn't have a very good survival rate. As a result the body had to develop into maturity at an early age.
After food became more avaliable, and danger became less imminent, the body started to spend longer to develop.

Maybe this is is the re-awakening of a dormant gene.
Maybe through faults in the gene, or just desires to 'grow up quicker' in this modern age. I think this is a valid theory.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that when these xenoestrogens hit the water supply it's unsure how they will react with humans because they are artificial hormones. I would think the same is true for the milk.

In any event, children do not need these hormones at this time of their lives. I shudde to think what is happening to male children with all of this.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by interestedalways

No, since there aren't hormones in the milk.

No, since there aren't hormones in the water.

Hmmm...

I thought you would have at least known about growth hormones being given to cows so they can produce more milk. With the water being recylced interested is right on the money. We learned this in the fire accadamy, we had to understand how the entire water supply works for a city, pretty much a waste of time. Except for where this is concerned.

The treatment facilties in most cities are deep wells that get the water trickled down from the surounding enviroment. In fact we had an incedent once where some drunken fuel truck driver dumped a few thousand gallons of gasoline into the wastewater receptical used to get rid of used water in campers at a gas station.

Had like five thousand gallons of gasoline .ed to the treatment plant. Everyone had to be notified, sewage and the people that ran the cities water supply.

Where did you think those young girls were getting breasts at such a young age, just wishful thinking? hahahahah
I can see it now, Oh please God could I grow breasts like the women on TV. Then the breast fairy comes along, waves her wand and Bing! Instant breasts.

Its a shame what modern food production is doing to us.

Excuse the typos I am sure there are many, and I dont feel like re-reading what I typed.

[edit on 31-10-2006 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Any speculation on what is triggering this?

Nope, just questions...

Is this just happening to American girls?
How long has this been happening, or is it a recent occurrence?

This story made me think about environmental stress. I could be mistaken, but, I've heard of situations, like after a war, where women give birth to more boys than girls. Could this be what's going on here? Like maybe their bodies are reacting to environment, thinking that we (as a species) are in danger, and that we need to begin reproducing earlier than usual?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I spend a fair amount of time South of the Border and the further south you go it seems like the little girls look like little girls instead of little women like they do here in the states.

I think it is the hormones given to cows to increase milk production and the additives given to cattle to make them grow to slaughtering weight faster.

What ever is causing early maturation in both boys and girls; it's not natural.

It's a brave new world; welcome to the monkey house.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
In early humanity human's didn't have a very good survival rate. As a result the body had to develop into maturity at an early age.
After food became more avaliable, and danger became less imminent, the body started to spend longer to develop.

Was this accounted for in the past? Say as a example ancient China, which had all those, good health care and food was avaible and survival rate was great, thats for sure.

Maybe this is is the re-awakening of a dormant gene.
Maybe through faults in the gene, or just desires to 'grow up quicker' in this modern age. I think this is a valid theory.

Thats a hard one to take in, just by thought we are minipulating our genes at age 4, I was thinking it takes some skill to do that, jeeze I wonder if I can get rid of the caps on my DNA and live to 800 years lol.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
From the article linked in the first post:

"By age 8, almost half of African-American girls and 15 percent of Caucasian girls start developing pubic hair or breasts."

wow.. this is good for the underwear fashion industry. I can see the perv designers making new products for the kiddies.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
wow.. this is good for the underwear fashion industry. I can see the perv designers making new products for the kiddies.

I dont know how your area is, but over here, uhhh iunno if i can say this on ATS, but the clothing they sell for 8-16 year olds at the stores is like what a prostitute would wear.... You are correct on that one for sure. Of course theres normal clothing still, just hard to find.

I WAS STRUGGLING looking for a freaking plain white sweater with no logo's or anything on it lol.

[edit on 31-10-2006 by trIckz_R_fO_kIdz]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I remember, almost 20 years ago, my then eight year old niece crying because she was developing breast. She though that meant she had to grow up. Through streaming tears she blubbered "but I'm just a kid."

Early physical development puts tremendous stress on our children, not to mention the unrealistic expectations pushed on a twelve-year-old who looks eighteen.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by trIckz_R_fO_kIdz
the clothing they sell for 8-16 year olds at the stores is like what a prostitute would wear....

You are so right!

I was a buyer (for children's clothes). I couldn't understand who they expected to wear that stuff. Remember a few years ago when those really short, ruffled 80's skirts came back in style? I literally had to hold the skirts up to me (I'm small, so I fit kids' clothes), to show how much, or how little, they covered. And, the designers had the nerve to be shocked! Like they didn't know how short those skirts were...

I couldn't imagine dressing my niece like that. My brother would kill me, with his bare hands.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie

I couldn't imagine dressing my niece like that. My brother would kill me, with his bare hands.

It really is a shame. I dont know where these fashion designers get off, they set the trend. The parents shouldnt be allowing their kids to wear them, in some cases the kids dress outside the house with the parents knowing, but not all of them.

It really is a brave new world. Too bad more people were not brave enough to speak up. Its all about profits isnt it?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Wrong on both counts Nygdan.

BGH is in US milk

Yes, I was wrong. All cow milk contains natural bovine growth hormones. HUmans have been drinking it for eons, it doesn't cause girls to become fertile at age 4.

and there are many chemicals including pharmaceuticals and hormones found in municipal drinking water

Metabolites of pharmeceuticals and hormones have been found in ground water, not the actual pharmeceuticals.

dgtempe
What do you suppose it is?

I dunno. Buncha freaks apparently. There have been instances of extremely young girls becoming fertile before.

lonegunman
Its a shame what modern food production is doing to us.

A causation by modern food production has not been shown here.

whaa
I think it is the hormones given to cows to increase milk production and the additives given to cattle to make them grow to slaughtering weight faster.

Then why aren't there any studies that show that artificial cow hormones cause human beings to enter puberty early?

What ever is causing early maturation in both boys and girls; it's not natural.

Please demonstrate that its not natural.

It happens. Humans aren't as 'stable' as people sometimes think, there is a lot of variety, and there are lots of funky things that can happen. 4 year olds becomming fertile is horrifying, but its not unnatural.
There's been a long term shunning of studying sexual development in humans, I'm not surprised that there are 'surprises' like this and the other things alluded to in the article out there.

trIckz_R_fO_kIdz
the clothing they sell for 8-16 year olds at the stores is like what a prostitute would wear

This, more than anything, I think explains why it seems to many that girls are devloping earlier than in the past, they are wearing clothes that emphasise that development.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

... they are wearing clothes that emphasise that development.

I once took a class on the history of fashion. We learned that, for most of history, little girls wore the same style of clothing as adult women, perhaps with a few modifications. Much like now.

I doubt that clothing is causing little girls to menstruate.

[edit for weird grammar]

[edit on 1-11-2006 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   

All cow milk contains natural bovine growth hormones. HUmans have been drinking it for eons, it doesn't cause girls to become fertile at age 4.

This is true. (except for the eons part :lol

The naturally occuring BGH is normally harmless to humans. However, if it is artificially increased, it has been known to cause infertility and birth defects in humans. This is contradictory to what has been suggested -That the hormones used increased the rate of maturaty of these girls.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join