It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

42% of Americans no longer believe in God

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Perhaps America is a bit too progressive, I'm not one that thinks everyone should believe in any peticular God and i understand religion is often the cause for a lot of violence in the world but i think people should believe in something higher or greater than themselves what do you guys think? And how do you think this will effect America in the future?

Read the Article

Nearly half of Americans are not sure God exists, according to a poll that also found divisions among the public on whether God is male or female or whether God has a human form and has control over events.
The survey conducted by Harris Poll found that 42 percent of US adults are not "absolutely certain" there is a God compared to 34 percent who felt that way when asked the same question three years ago.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
???!!!!!

42 % ???!!!!!

omg what has happened to make them drop God?

I don't know what to say.... The Church is letting people down if they are so lost and without direction and thinking this way about God Almighty...

Sad post, makes me feel for those who are with out direction......

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I don't know how that poll can be 100 percent accurate because there is over 300 million people in the U.S so I am sure it is lower than that.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well if G-d told George Bush to invade Iraq, then maybe people are having second thoughts. I also think or hope people are becoming more spiritual and less inclined towards organized religon.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Its a positive sign that some U.S. citizens are wising up.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

As to whether God controls events on Earth, 29 percent believe that to be the case while 44 percent said God "observes but does not control what happens on Earth".

So we lose the sane people that believe in God, and keep the nutjobs that think everything is God's will. I have no idea what the error rate or sample size that was used in this pole but i sure would like to know.

You know this makes me wonder about how many people are left in this country that still believe in the American way. Perhaps i don't want to know afterall.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
wise up to what?

Eternal loss of Gods love and compassion as you deny him and his?? Thats being wise? ok....

Tell you what, i'll keep my faith in Jesus and God, you can keep your faith in your dollar / gold / crystals / diamonds or what ever is more important to you than God and Jesus....

............. stunned. 42%......... thats bad. for them and for the world.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
From pro life evangelicals, to mormons rapeing kids, to bomb toating muslims. I can't stand religon. I think anyone that has to look to a 2000 year old wives tale is a fool.

I had a jahovahs witness come to the door today, the first thing she started blabbing was about the end of the world. You know what my words to her were"sorry I worship the devil", and I slammed the door in her face.

Mankind needs to look to the future, not 2000 year old books writen by people two generations from swinging in the trees.

The bible is B.S. so are all the other realigons. It's illogical and unrational just look at what it's done for the world so far.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Wantsome...........

I actually agree with you.

Jesus said live in peace, love each other, and woe betide any one who harms even the hair on the head of a child!

SO.....lots and lots and LOTS of so called 'religiouse' people are gonna get some real bad times in the next life when they return home to get judged by God Almighty...

The worlds in a ship state, and we need to live by the words and deeds of Jesus, not the words and deeds of modern savages that claim to follow him...

Do as he did, not do as we please should be some thing we think about and live by.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
"42% of Americans no longer believe in God"

finally... maybe we ARE advancing!
-b

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
You ought to read articles before you post them. This is what the survey found, in part:

The survey conducted by Harris Poll found that 42 percent of US adults are not "absolutely certain" there is a God compared to 34 percent who felt that way when asked the same question three years ago. [emphasis mine]

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Perhaps what people is losing is not their believes of a higher power, but rather their believes on the different denominations of churches.

In our nation churches is big business and every offer the same goods, salvation, but only through them.

I guess people are becoming smart shoppers.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
You ought to read articles before you post them. This is what the survey found, in part:

The survey conducted by Harris Poll found that 42 percent of US adults are not "absolutely certain" there is a God compared to 34 percent who felt that way when asked the same question three years ago. [emphasis mine]

www.breitbart.com...

This is a good point. I might trust these people more than those who have such certainty without real discernment. After all why have faith in God if everything is certain? Faith of one person in God in the face of all notions to the contrary is better than all the rest of us who offer words of their certainty. The world is suffering greatly from certainty as it is from fear and uncertainty. Just a helpful reminder, but faith has a great deal to do with a most authentic path of religion. After all if you certain about something, in words alone, and you don't really know what it is, just how much faith is happening here?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
Mankind needs to look to the future, not 2000 year old books writen by people two generations from swinging in the trees.

Paraphrasing: Those who do not learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat those mistakes.

I don't care much for organized religion. However, I have and still do study the Bible extensively. I find my personal relationship with Jesus to be a great comfort, especially now as I'm coming up on the first anniversary of the loss of both my parents.

Throwing out God and the Bible because of things that people have done is IMHO like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Everything deserves a balanced approach.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

www.breitbart.com...

Being Not Certain is the same as Not Believing.

be‧lieve  [bi-leev] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -lieved, -liev‧ing.
–verb (used without object)
1. to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doin

Having Confidence is much more than thinking it Might be true. So lets not jump to conclusions about what I have or have not done.

Oh and to everyone that thinks that religion is the root of all evil i think it's time you look at the real cause. Religion isn't the cause of violence it's just an excuse. All of the horrible things done over time in the name of religion weren't commited by religion itself they were commited by MEN. If there is a root cause of all evil it is Man himself. If man wasn't killing in the name of religion believe me he would be killing in the name of something else like a nation. Not only is blaming religion for all the woes of the world easy but it's just plain lazy.

edited for typo

[edit on 10/31/2006 by JackJuice]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice
i think people should believe in something higher or greater than themselves what do you guys think?

roger that... i don't believe in god in the Christian sense, but how could i not believe in something out there... all i have to do is look up at the night sky or see all these kick-ass images of the universe and it becomes quite apparent... there has to be something out there... there is a 'god' of some type, but it is well beyond our comprehension...

This is no God but what cannot be comprehended
There is nothing that cannot be comprehended, but that is not conceivable
There is nothing not conceivable but what is immeasurable
There is nothing immeasurable but God
There is no God but what is not conceivable.

[edit on 31 10Oct 06 by m3rlz]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by m3rlz

roger that... i don't believe in god in the Christian sense, but how could i not believe in something out there... all i have to do is look up at the night sky or see all these kick-ass images of the universe and it becomes quite apparent... there has to be something out there... there is a 'god' of some type, but it is well beyond our comprehension...

Right on i agree, i do pull some of my faith from earth though as well, a little from Buddha i love the whole balance thing, and i've been witness to some pretty weird Catholic stuff but i'm not sure if it was the work of other worldly forces or just the power of the human brain and spirit. But i agree with you i don't think we give God enough credit for being far superior than our comprehension would allow us to understand. I just can't see how there is no great Composer out there somewhere.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
Wantsome...........

I actually agree with you.

Jesus said live in peace, love each other, and woe betide any one who harms even the hair on the head of a child!

SO.....lots and lots and LOTS of so called 'religiouse' people are gonna get some real bad times in the next life when they return home to get judged by God Almighty...

The worlds in a ship state, and we need to live by the words and deeds of Jesus, not the words and deeds of modern savages that claim to follow him...

Do as he did, not do as we please should be some thing we think about and live by.
I have no fear of judgement or rath of god. Simply put, I don't belive in such nonsense. I belive when we die, we cease to exsist, there is no after life. I belive alot of poeple in this world go through life trying to find a sense of belonging, and they turn to religon for answers. I am a free thinker, thier are alot of unaswered questions as to why we are here, and I don't buy into the whole after life deal.

I belive in what I can see, taste and touch, and I have seen no proof of god. The way I look at mankind is, mankind likes to think he's speacial, as if the universe was created for him.

1600 years after Christ mankind thought the earth was flat, and that if he sailed to far out into the ocean, he could sail right off the edge of the earth. Around the same time mankind also thought the earth was stationary, as if the sun and universe revolved around the earth, agian mankind thinking of himself as being specail in the universe.

At the time the bible was writen, they hardly knew anything about the this planet let alone what was beyond it. We've learned more about the universe in the past 100 years then all of the years before it combined.

I have a feeling mankind isnt as specail as he likes to think he is. Theirs alot of unaswered questions about the universe, and life in it. Our place in the universe is so small, and to think that we a specail is a foolish way of thinking.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend in their most primitive forms -- this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness."

A. Einstein

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
2000 years ago Jesus was smarter than we are today.

2000 years ago he gave us the recipe to live long happy peaceful lives. Love each other.

2000 year still have not learnt his message.... so that makes him hell of a lot smarter than we are today.

As for your beliefs, i'm not trying to persuad you other wise...but just turning off and losing all you gained for nothing ?

Just like you cannot grasp the concept of God and an after life, i cannot grasp the concept of not having one - but i still enjoy hearing others views about it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join