It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RFID Chips in $20 bills?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
RFID CHIPS IN MONEY

Has anyone tested this. BTW if it works im sorry about your money.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
ok : fatal flaw # 1 :

there are materials other than RFID chips which may be in babk notes that can / could cause arcing in a microwave oven

if people actually suspect that thier banknotes have RFID chips in them why do they not discect a note carefully to extract / identify the chip ??

is that too hard ?

a highschool students disecting kit and microscope would be idea

heck even a jewelers / watchmakers loupe and a craft knife would do it

it is not rocket science .

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
If this is so, then does removing the RFID make the note no longer 'legal tender' in the same way that removing the metal strip does?

Edit to add:

If you Google 'RFID and banknote' or any combination of 'RFID' and any other word that means money, you get the following '403 access forbidden' message:

[edit on 1-11-2006 by timski]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Folks, you can slice a $20 and still go to the bank and get another one. The bank will buy your damaged note as long as you have both halves of the bill with the serial number intact. They may look at you funny, but then again, if someone handed me a bill and said "oh, I was trying to extract an RFID chip" I would look at them a little funny, too!

I would like to actually see this tested by a reliable ATSer, as I have seen this story on chips in 20's before, but never tested by anyone I would deem more credible.

Why haven't I done it myself? I'm too lazeh!

[edit on 11/1/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I used to work in Banking Security.

The are RFID in *SOME* 20 since the early 1990s and ALL 20's since they remade the look.

The chips are used to track bill for many reasons including robbery and organized crime.

You can back track money from the fed to local banks, and often from there tie it to a person. It's often used in smuggling and drug investigations.

From my experience with the Fed and several Banks, no one cares about the money unless it is during an investigation. I think they only time it is scanned is at the Fed Branches, though there might be other isnatce of this.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by timski
If this is so, then does removing the RFID make the note no longer 'legal tender' in the same way that removing the metal strip does?

cite any evidence that this " fact " is true - you have already begged the question , by stating that there is a chip

come on - cite the published confirmation that the national banks are putting " rfid chips " in banknotes

if " removing the chip " voids the note - then the banks must acknowledge the chips existence to be able to cite it removal as a valid reason to void a note

ball is in your court

if you Google 'RFID and banknote' or any combination of 'RFID' and any other word that means money, you get the following '403 access forbidden' message:

do not lie

I can post pictures too

[edit on 1-11-2006 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
You can Google this until the cows come home and there is no error! In fact, "RFID and Money" yields over 13 millions hits!

Secondly, the whole premise makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Read the following: frank.geekheim.de...

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Ape...

Was never any intent to lie...when I posted I guess I was a little 'over-caffeinated' and not thinking straight-was just a glitch with my PC, my apologies.

With regard to the RFID chip, I was just asking that ifthe notes had RFIDs then would removing them make your notes no longer acceptable to make purchases, just as when I pay using a £20 note, it's often examined for the metallic strip and scribbled on with a fake-detecting pen; if your note didn't register under a chip-scanner at the check-out would it be rejected?

( note to self-cut down on the coffee
)

top topics

join