It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest Video Game Moments

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Another addition to the "GREATEST" library...I'm talking about the moments when you were looking at your monitor or telivision and your jaw dropped, or you screamed, or you jumped up and ran around the room in sheer joy.

A few of my own...

The first time I ever read these words:

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a mailbox here.

(For you youngsters...it was called ZORK...and it was AWESOME.)

Another...the first time it started raining in ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST.
Talk about a powerful system strutting its stuff (SNES).

And another...when those damn dobermans came through the window in RESIDENT EVIL (Playstation). I literally dove off my couch.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
While answering this I must also stress how much I -loathe- the game I am refering to, so much I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.. however, the following moment made me choke up a bit.

Final Fantasy VII - The Death of Aeris

At no other time before or since has a plot twist in a game just completely taken me off guard like that one has.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Call of Duty 2- The assault on Point Du Hoc. Intense battle both when assaulting and defending the point. That game is full of intense and jaw dropping moments.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by HankMcCoy

Final Fantasy VII - The Death of Aeris

At no other time before or since has a plot twist in a game just completely taken me off guard like that one has.

that was disturbing to say the least, a true shocker

i think when you can get this kind of emotional response from a player you have yourself a winning game

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The very first time on Oblivion when you emerge from the sewers. It's the first and only time that my jaw dropped from a videogame.

Shame the rest of the game was so lacking.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
beating ghosts and goblins was easily the most triumphant point of my video game career. and i got the REAL ending. had to beat the damn thing twice in a row.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
For me there a few...

*The first time I played Final Fantasy VIII. Not just how awesome it looked, but the way it played, the way I got involved in the characters. (I still feel the same way each and every time I play it)

*The first time I deactiviated all the bombs in that underwater level on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES). Those of you who remember that game know what I'm talking about. That level used to give me such hell when I was younger.

*The first time I played Resident Evil 4. It basically rekindled my love for video games all over again.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Favorite video game moment, huh?

Hrmmm....I say figuring out how to do the Hadoken in Street Fighter 2.

None of us in the arcade knew what the heck any of the moves were...since the Capcom move set hadn't been established yet. Then, one of us realized that if you did a half circle and hit punch Ha-do-ken! Eventually we realized it was a quarter circle, but that was the first move (other than the Blanka charge and Chun-Li kick) we figured out.

SONIC BOOM!

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The FFVII moment was a good one, not expecting a main character to die.

But for me was when I was playing Quake and the monsters started fighting each other. I had never seen this before, in Mario it's them v You, same with every other game, but in Quake a Ogre fired a grenade, it bounced, blew up next to a Fiend, and the Fiend attacked the Ogre. They fought, Fiend won.

Although that is found in a lot of games now, like in HL2 when the Ant Lions fight the troops on the beach.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoorahUSMC
The FFVII moment was a good one, not expecting a main character to die.

i always thought it was sorta blah because sega did it in phantasy star 2 as well about 7 years earlier.

and on that same topic...

the whacko ending to phantasy star 2 where you find out that the evil enemies are in fact refugees from a wartorn and destroyed earth come to 'colonize' your star system no matter what the cost. that left field twist floored me.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
FF8 (obviously)

Greatest love story, drama, emotional game ever. Bar none.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
wolfenstein 3D last level, a room filled with nazi propaganda and a dude with 4 big guns, then I turned left, headed to a wall and it opened a secret room filled with weapons, ha I can barely remember that was in like...1995 i think

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astygia
FF8 (obviously)

Greatest love story, drama, emotional game ever. Bar none.

And to think people often regard that one as one of the worst Final Fantasy's. I liked it as well.

Playing through Final Fantasy 12 right now myself...very good story. If you liked the story in Final Fantasy Tactics, or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, you'll dig this one.

-The O

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I no longer own a console or a TV, as much as I'm sometimes tempted to buy one for that sheer purpose. :bnghd:

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
FF8 would be the greatest to come out on PS1 if not for 7. I can't stand 9, I played it, beat it, will never play it again.

I got FFXII! I have barely an hour in since I have FFVII Dirge of Cerberus and playing that to.

Anyways, another good video game moment.

Hyperiums, it is an online only game that you just sign up and play. If you pay a fee you get more technology and such. I did and played for over a year. It is a massive game with thousands of planets, three different races, all have pros and cons, and it's just to massive to describe. Why is this a great game moment? This was before World of Warcraft(Also have, pretty decent) and is just so massive. I've never seen a game this large but so easy to play. This is thee game for someone who wants to play with the world without the difficulty that you find on other games.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Greatest gaming moment?
When I saved the Princess! But it turned out that she was in another castle...:shk:
When I saved the Princess! But it turned out that she was in another castle...:shk:

Anyway, yeah, FFVII seemed to do the trick for me. Not so much an event, like the death of Aeris. I liked the general story of Sephiroth. Keeps me warm at night.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It is truly amazing how fictional characters such as video game personas can sometimes so accurately represent real life (minus magic or what-have-you).

And it's not always amazing in a good way.

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
yay, my favorite videogame memories includes several memories... including (1) beating chrono trigger, beating f-zero maximum velocity (which was the first gameboy advance game that I played, (3) beating super mario 64, (4) beating super smash bros, (5) beating super smash bros melee, and I also thuroughly enjoyed getting 30,000,000,000 points on super mario bros deluxe

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Playing and beating Chrono Trigger then some years later playing Chrono Cross and realizing that the stories acually came together. Still feel sorry for Magus about his sister too

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Another one is when I ascended some stairs, only to be told it was likely that I was going to be eaten by a grue. That and finding a jewel encrusted egg in a birds nest.

Bonus points if anyone can name the game!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join