It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans And Neanderthals May Have Interbred

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

As modern humans spread across Europe tens of thousands of years
ago, they may have interbred with Neanderthals, creating hybrids,
according to a new study of ancient human bones from Romania.

Anthropologists have long wondered what happened when the two
species met as modern humans spread from Africa into Neanderthal
territory in Eurasia: did the populations interbreed or did modern
humans simply replace their cousins?
The specimens examined and dated for the first time in this study
show that “at least in Europe, the populations blended,” said study
author Erik Trinkaus of Washington University.

The study compared the fragments, including a skull and jaw, to bones
of Neanderthals, early modern humans in Africa before they spread,
and in Europe afterward.
Trinkaus said that he and his colleagues found certain features that
could have only come from Neanderthals, because early modern
humans lost them before they spread from Africa.
They found a swelling at the back of skull, called an occipital bun,
which is the result of differential brain growth and is commonly found
in Neanderthal skulls. Also, the arrangement of muscle attachment at
the back of the jaw was a trait of Neanderthals.

This evidence of interbreeding shows that “[the two groups] saw each
other as socially appropriate mates,” Trinkaus said.

SOURCE:
LiveScience.com

Could'nt figure out where to put this, so it's here.

This is a very exciting discovery, as it helps to explain what happened to the Neanderthals.

I think this is a sign of the positives of humanity, if way
back than we saw Neanderthals as acceptable mates,
being they were different enough for most people today
to not even consider it, it shows we can be an accepting
species.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Most guys I know will shag anything that moves so I do believe we could of inbred them out of existence and we all are hybrids. Too bad we dont have their DNA to prove this.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
species.

Comments, Opinions?

HaHaHa, a more likley scenario is that we made war with them killed their men, ate their children, and raped their women.

Okay maybe i'm exagerating a bit but i don't think you can say that we were more peaceful then than we are now, and if we were than it is only because we haven't started major competition for resources yet. No if anything we will slowly and i repeat slowly get less and less violent as we evolve considering we can learn to provide for everyone.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I believe it was, actually a couple shows, on the Disovery Channel that they said the same thing.

Both species were around at the same time for a while and they (the show) came to the conclusion that both Neanderthals and "modern humans" probably did meet and had "interactions".

They claimed the "modern humans" were smarter and finally the Neanderthals faded out.

apc

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Perhaps it is us that were the "acceptable mates". Remember, they were physically superior to us in many ways.

Like Klingon female meets Telaxian male...

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
There is scientific proof of this right here in Oz.

I believe a living specimen is in Lakemba...but is currently in hospital

In Pace Always
resi

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Who knows, I have a large brow ridge and can look scary when I angle my face down, much like a Neanderthal.

This is an intreating topic, I've always wondered what happened to these people and where we, as a human race, really come from.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
species.

That is what the people who studied the "Lapedo Child" think, that he was the result of the mixing between the Neanderthals and "modern" humans.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
These issues were discussed in some evolution/anthropology books i read back in the day and it seems that Modern man and Neanderthals coexisted for hundreds of thousands of years with evidence of large scale confrontation or radical decline of Neanderthals simply not in evidence. I think the 'consensus' was that either passive competition slowly forced neanderthals into a slow decline or that there was some kind of genetic crisis.....

Stellar

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I have a book (packed away - I am moving) cant remember the authors name nor the title.

But he postulates the theory that Cro Magnon just suddenly apeared and had all the skills making him a modern man rather than what we would call a cave man.

He says that Cro Magnon was an alien hybrid based on his evidence.

I really need to dig this book out so I can at least give you the title.
It is a fascinating read and has chapters on it discussing UFOs, the Bible and NASA,
the miracle of Fatima and other interesting topics.

In Pace Always
resi

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

posted by iori_komei

“ . . modern humans may have interbred with Neanderthals, according to a new study of ancient human bones from Romania . . what happened when the two species met as modern humans spread from Africa into Neanderthal territory in Eurasia: did the populations interbreed or did modern humans simply replace their cousins? The specimens show that “at least in Europe, the populations blended” The study compared fragments . . found certain features that could have only come from Neanderthals, because early modern humans lost them before they spread from Africa. They found a swelling at the back of skull, called an occipital bun, which is the result of differential brain growth and is commonly found in Neanderthal skulls . . the arrangement of muscle attachment at the back of the jaw was a trait specific to Neanderthals. This evidence of interbreeding shows that “[the two groups] saw each other as socially appropriate mates . . “ [Edited by Don W]

I could not figure out where to put this, so it's here. This is a very exciting discovery, as it helps to explain what happened to the Neanderthals. I think this is a sign of the positives of humanity, if way back than we saw Neanderthals as acceptable mates, being they were different enough for most people today to not even consider it . . it shows we can be an accepting species. Comments, Opinions? [Edited by Don W]

A long time ago, when I wanted to disparage someone, I’d call them a “proto-Neanderthal.” Then about 15-20 years ago, archeologists uncovered Neanderthal burial sites showing care in burials, and more importantly, they discovered some instances where a broken bone - a femur - meant the person was unable to feed himself for an extended period. Since the bone had healed, it pointed to others who were feeding the injured person. So I quit using the term. I would say Cro Magnon’s bred the Neanderthals out of existence.

As for inter-breeding? Recall the Holy Writ makes several reference to sex with animals. It was a stoning offense - death penalty - to “lay” with an animal as with a woman - and even down to the current time, there have been laws against “bestiality.” That is, sex with animals. One lesson we have learned over time, you don’t make laws against things that don’t happen. And don’t even mention Tijuana.

[edit on 11/1/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
That Homo-Sapiens and Neanderthals mated is not really in doubt, however, according to a friend of mine who is an Anthropologist, any children that were born from such a union would have been reproductively useless themselves.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

posted by DrBones666

Homo-Sapiens and Neanderthals mated is not in doubt, however, according to a friend of mine who is an Anthropologist, any children that were born from such a union would have been reproductively useless.
[Edited by Don W]

I’m not too keen on cross-species breeding consequences. Most contemporary animals I’m familiar with breed true. A mule is a cross between a horse and a jack, or as we prefer, a jackass. Mules do not reproduce. I don’t know why. It may be due to the number of chromosomes. I don’t know how you could tell how many chromosomes a Neanderthal person had. It would seem you’d need to know that before you concuded they could not inter-breed successfully. Hmm?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I often wonder about this and what it says about our future. Mankind seems to make sudden leaps in evolution, From the sea to the land, from the land to the trees and back again and even from Neandertal to Cro-Magnum.

When the next evolutionary jump occurs will we go as quickly and permanently as Neandertal did?

When mankind makes the next jump and super humans (compared to ourselves) are walking amongst us, will we even have the ability to fight them, to try and survive? to beat the evolutionary clock?

Just some thoughts that cross my mind.

wupy

[edit on 1-11-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I often wonder about this and what it says about our future. Mankind seems to make sudden leaps in evolution, From the sea to the land, from the land to the trees and back again and even from Neandertal to Cro-Magnum.

When the next evolutionary jump occurs will we go as quickly and permanently as Neandertal did?

When mankind makes the next jump and super humans (compared to ourselves) are walking amongst us, will we even have the ability to fight them, to try and survive? to beat the evolutionary clock?

Just some thoughts that cross my mind.

wupy
[edit on 1-11-2006 by mrwupy]

Interesting thought, however i don't see the "Super Humans" you talk about as being like X-men but being more like the movie POWDER. That to me would be an awesome leap in evolution.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackJuice
Interesting thought, however i don't see the "Super Humans" you talk about as being like X-men but being more like the movie POWDER. That to me would be an awesome leap in evolution.

Just as Neandertal couldn't comprehend the advancement that Cro-Magnon had made, I doubt we'll comprehend the advancement that our progeny will make.

By the way, I love the movie Powder

new topics

top topics

join