It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Works of Darwin, ONLINE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
darwin-online.org.uk...

an organization has finally started to put the complete works of darwin on the internet for all of us to enjoy, and use as quick reference

i just wanted to give this as a general reference for people, and starting a thread is much easier than simply posting it on EVERY thread we have, or sending everyone a u2u

so i guess this thread can start to discuss the works of darwin

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Its good that the whole of his works are being put online. Origins and"The Variation of Animals and Plants Under Domestication" have been available on this site for a while:
esp.org...

As are a lot of other classic texts on biology. If you like the darwin-online site, you'll probably like this one.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

i just wanted to give this a bump, a lot of people could do with reading over some of this stuff before using quote mines like "darwin believed the evolution of the eye was impossible!"

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

This is a good thing. It is pretty obvious that many if not most people pushing creationism have never read Darwin. Now they have no excuse not to read his works.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

and it's sad that many of them won't, even if they have the opportunity.

hell, it's quite obvious that many of these creationist types are so dead set in their fallacious arguments against evolution that they've become a second set of doctrines.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
So is the purpose of this thread to bait others?

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
It is pretty obvious that many if not most people pushing creationism have never read Darwin.

That's not true. They read Darwin like atheists read the Bible -sparingly and with much mis-interpretation. They read it not to understand it but to re-word and scrutinize it.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

no, it's to provide a resource. in fact, i think it should be sticky'd. there's nothing more on topic when it comes to an origins and creation resource than the works of ol' chucky

the purpose of this thread is to let people read the founding works of evolution, that's it. unfortunately, nobody seems to be paying much attention to it and i'm being accused of baiting...

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
the purpose of this thread is to let people read the founding works of evolution, that's it. unfortunately, nobody seems to be paying much attention to it and i'm being accused of baiting...

hell, it's quite obvious that many of these creationist types are so dead set in their fallacious arguments against evolution that they've become a second set of doctrines.

That's not baiting?

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

That's not baiting?

...it's true that some of them are. i never said most of the people are or that some of the people on this forum are. i don't even want as much of a discussion as i want people to look at them.

i was simply responding to another post. baiting would have been making it the whole point.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I don't think one should read Darwin if they want an understanding of evolution. For one thing, he uses outdated language, for another, in some ways biology has moved past him. The concept of evolution has been fine-tuned a good deal since him.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm an Atheist and I do not believe in evolution as stated by Darwin.
I do not believe that any species ever mutated into another species, and there is no evidence for that.
Elements are and always have been distintive forms. Never has any element ever changed into another.
They combine in various ways to produce a variety of forms of matter which then reproduces according to its own kind/pattern.

The archeological/geological record shows that there have been extinctions of various species and then inexpliably there appeared fully developed new species. Did god do it?
For simple minds,yes.
For the curious intellectuals, no. Will we ever know for sure? No.
It is all very interesting to study, but don't ever think that the how or the why will ever be revealed. Quit spinning your wheels and accept what is.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

There´s more in the world than darwinists, atheists, christians and creationists. To check out some of the other topics ATS...or even life...has to offer is highly recommended

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
That's not true. They read Darwin like atheists read the Bible -sparingly and with much mis-interpretation. They read it not to understand it but to re-word and scrutinize it.

...throwing in the off hand comment isn't appreciated. i've read the bible as both a theist and an atheist... the first time i read it as an atheist i read it for the sake of simply understanding it from a historical perspective and the second time i tried to read it from a literature perspective (somewhat interesting, writing is a bit bland at times

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whitecastle

there is that, but it's kind of nice to see how things originated. understanding things as they are now is nice, but going through the steps helps add greater understanding.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

...throwing in the off hand comment isn't appreciated. i've read the bible as both a theist and an atheist...

Throwing in the off-hand comment isn't appreciated?

Relax. Your thread was dying when I stepped in here.

Anyway, what does it matter if you read the bible as a theist and an atheist?

Have you read Darwin as a creationist and an evolutionist? I really doubt it. Hence, my statement still rings true - the creationist is not going to learn anything from Darwin and the atheist is not going to promote the Bible.

[edit on 5-4-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the information, Madness! I've never really had a chance to read through Darwin's work as evolution isn't really my forte'. However, i'm reconsidering now that you've provided this easy resource.

So yeah, you were kind of baiting with that comment. But that's the anti-creationist in you. Seems like your intentions were good in the long run.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
As I see it, the purpose of this thread is to inform ATS at large that the entire works of Darwin are now available for quick reference online, with the secondary purpose of discussing said works.

To which, I attempted to read The Origin of Species a few years back, and it's pretty darn dense, though still worth a read for creationists and evolutionists both.

top topics

join