It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Hugs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Now this is something we should all take a minute and read.

www.free-hugs.com...

Free Hugs On YouTube

Not to focus on a negative, but I'll attack this one first. The man in the clip was approached by the police since he was considered a threat to the public. The man is holding a sign that reads, Free Hugs!, and we consider him a threat. Makes you wonder.

He had 10,000 people sign a petition to have him considered safe to society and then able to continue with his mission.

Someone who is willing to stand out on the corner holding this sign and randomly hug strangers is top notch in my books. You can just imagine the ridicule they would face from ignorant people who look down at him as they pass. But it appears none of that matters as the smiles on the face of others is enough to outweight it.

This is like a small forum of, Paying it Forward.

Has anyone actually hugged a complete stranger?

So what does everyone think? Is this a positive influence on others or just some wacko with nothing else to do?

Here is some history on the Free Hugs initiative from Wikipedia.

The Free Hugs Campaign appears to have begun in 2004[1], and was widely publicized in 2006 by a music video. It involves individuals who offer hugs to strangers in public settings. The campaign is an example of a random act of kindness, a selfless act performed by someone for the sole reason of making others feel better. The original organizer has stated in interviews that the purpose is not to get names, phone numbers, or dates.[2]

History

A video on YouTube was released on September 22, 2006, and by the October 30, 2006, had gained 4,529,303 [3] views. According to the video summary, it was recorded in Sydney, Australia. In the video, the main character who is giving out hugs, (identified as "Juan Mann", a pseudonym[4]), walks through the Pitt Street Mall holding up a sign with the words FREE HUGS written on it. Music for the video is provided by Sick Puppies, an Australian band that "Mann" met a year earlier.[2] Shimon Moore, the lead singer of the Sick Puppies who worked at the mall, shot the footage which he later compiled into a video for the song.[2]

Initial distrust of Juan's motivations gives way to a gradual accretion of people willing to be hugged, with other huggers (male and female) helping distribute them. After some time, security guards, then police tell them they must stop, as Mann has not obtained public liability insurance for his actions[4]. Mann and his companions then began a petition which reached 10,000 signatures. At that point, the security guards walk away, but not before being hugged by some of the participants.

Intentions of Free Hugging

Although no stated beliefs are readily found about the intention of Juan Mann (other than to give out free hugs), there are certain threads that underly Juan's actions. These can be summed up like such:

1. Freehugs are gender, class, height/weight, race and age neutral ie anyone. No restrictions can be placed.
2. Freehugs come from a giving space, hence free.
3. Freehugs can be done anywhere at anytime, by any number of people

Freehugs are often misunderstood as a chance for the hugger to sexually touch the huggee. If this is the reason for freehugging, it is no longer freehugging.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm interested to hear everyones opinion on this. Personally, I think this is a great thing people are doing. The smallest interaction with a stranger is more than enough to turn our day around, and the commitment we are seeing from these people is extraordinary.

I look forward to your responses.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I think this is only a problem in say, Canada, the US and probably the UK. European people have no problem kissing each other on the cheeks, let alone a hug. Pesonally I have no problem with this but you'll find most would see it as an invasion of their personal space. They might think other things as well. We're so damn anal here.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea. I've never heard of it before now, but with the amount of hate, fear and animosity throughout the world, we could definitely use more random acts of kindness. I think you summed it up pretty well with:

Originally posted by chissler
The smallest interaction with a stranger is more than enough to turn our day around, and the commitment we are seeing from these people is extraordinary.

Once..during a hockey game...

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Pesonally I have no problem with this but you'll find most would see it as an invasion of their personal space.

He doesn't chase people around trying to hug them. :It's a "free service". If they ask for a hug, they get one.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Originally posted by intrepid
Pesonally I have no problem with this but you'll find most would see it as an invasion of their personal space.

He doesn't chase people around trying to hug them. :It's a "free service". If they ask for a hug, they get one.

In that case, no prob at all.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Heh, one should be so lucky to be living in a local community where there are people considerate enough to be offering free hugs. In the last place I lived, Atlanta, you might get free punches and gun shots, but free hugs? Ha. NOT.

[edit on 30-10-2006 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
No surprise, I love this *Hugs all*

I think we forget simple things in this time upon us, We have grew up in a new time and we have kinda had to show strength,
From a personal experience i was brought up without hugs ect. so i used to find it quiet embarrassing when people hugged me, i almost thought they would laugh and me and call me sissy,

It took an event where i really felt so sad and someone hugged me that i really understood the power of a simple gesture,

I'm now a hugger, lol

I hug everyone,

If anything this hug campaign will just remind people that we all need one now and again,

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
A wonderful idea!

...a little love in this world goes a long way

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think the guy is as crazy as a loon. In a good way.

Imagine how many people walked away smiling from their free hug...

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi

In pace Always
resi

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
People in the New Orleans area are big huggers and kissers in social settings. Nothing overtly sexual, but exchanges of genuine hugs and pecks on the cheeks between men and women are very common and only non-locals are alarmed by it.

However, rampant hugging in public places by people who are unknown to each other can create some legal issues, because not everyone can be trusted with just a hug or trusted that they won't sue someone because they claim that an innocent hug was something more.

People put severed fingers in chili, you know.

It all sound warm and cozy, but not everyone is what they claim to be.

I'm not all that into hugging just anyone, but for others I think it's fine.

Others may feel completely differently, especially when significant others are involved.

[edit on 2006/11/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Yeah, My brother's best mate did that Central Point every Thursday.

On a side note the music playing in the background is by Sick Puppies... They used to go to the same school as I went to.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
However, rampant hugging in public places by people who are unknown to each other can create some legal issues, because not everyone can be trusted with just a hug or trusted that they won't sue someone because they claim that an innocent hug was something more.

This is too true, and an indication of why the man was approached by the police. It is a black spot on the society we live in though. A man whose sole purpose is to brighten a strangers day by sharing a hug, is ridiculed and scrutinized since we as a society would quickly assume he has bad intentions.

If I were walking down the street, and a man had the sign Free Hugs! being waved around. I would be skeptical myself, and hesistant to approach. So to be skeptical is not a knock to the individual, I believe it is a knock to our society.

The fact is this man is in broad daylight offering a free hug. He does not approach anyone or force them to do anything they don't wish to. He just is there to offer support for someone who may be looking for it.

We are in a tough position here. Too many sick people exist for us not to be skeptical, but through the scrutiny it becomes tough to do a good deed.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
As long as we have an option to hug him or not, i dont see the problem?

Was he grabbing people off the streets and hugging them? If not, i dont see the problem.

This is kind of ridiculous and says a lot about todays society.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Was he grabbing people off the streets and hugging them? If not, i dont see the problem.

Nope. He stands with a sign and waits for people to approach him. Or he'll announce that he is offering free hugs and waits for someone to walk up. Nobody is pressured into the hug.

Originally posted by dgtempe
This is kind of ridiculous and says a lot about todays society.

Certainly does. As I've said I can see why we are skeptical of it, but its unfortunate. Shows how difficult it is to do good deeds.

Rather than being inspired, some people will just ask why? Why the hell would someone do that? It makes no sense.

It doesn't have to make sense!

People just do it. Why do I let people go ahead of me in the check outs? Do I enjoy standing in a line up? No, but it feels good to help somebody else out.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I'm such a criminal!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Sure I have. Sometimes you can just tell when someone needs a hug...then you must administer a hug right away

Yeah I agree with dg....if he isn't pulling people over to him against their will for a hug....then what's the big deal?? Last time I cheked hugging wasn't against the law.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I dont blame him at all Hugs make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. I have actually hugged a complete stranger at the park once. I love it

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

. Why do I let people go ahead of me in the check outs? Do I enjoy standing in a line up? No, but it feels good to help somebody else out.

I do that too chissler....I can't stand seeing someone with 5 items behind me if I have a full cart...

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
galloping hordes hugs chissler and dg

I have hugged a stranger who needed it. There is nothing better then a hug especially when you've had one of those days. I see nothing wrong with what this gentleman is doing. We'd all be better off if more people cared enough to offer a hug or kind work without strings.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join