It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Codeine Worst Than OxyContin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Codeine which is found in many cold medicines is now said to be deadlier than OxyContin. This was found in Newfoundland and Labrador. With a total of 16 deaths related to codeine in the previous five years from 2000-2005.

Codeine, a common ingredient in over-the-counter cold medicines, has been more lethal than OxyContin in Newfoundland and Labrador, according to provincial government data.

The office of Newfoundland and Labrador's chief medical examiner listed codeine as the cause of death for 16 people between 2000 and 2005.

By contrast, OxyContin — the subject of a 2004 task force on how the prescription painkiller became a popular street drug — was identified as a cause of death eight times.

Source: www.cbc.ca...

It says in the article all drugs that codeine in the U.S. are only available by prescription. Maybe this is some thing that should be done in Canada as well. But within reason though. Maybe more of the codeine products should be availble by prescription only.

How does a drug like codeine, used to treat colds, become more lethal than a drug like OxyContin, which is used to treat tings like chronic pain?

-tts

[ETA: Link]

[edit on 30-10-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Codeine is far less powerful than oxycodone that is in OxyContin, but if it's freely available, it would make sense that more people could overdose on it than the stronger OxyContin/oxycodone.

Other drugs containing oxycode are roxycodeone, percolone, percocet, percodan.

[edit on 10/30/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I always ask my doctor for something with codeine when i have the flu. Its effective for body pain and very effective for coughs.

I suppose chewing on parsley will be the thing of the future. Everything can kill us.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Codeine is far less powerful than oxycodone that is in OxyContin, but if it's freely available, it would make sense that more people could overdose on it than the stronger OxyContin/oxycodone.

This is what I thought since codeine is used in cold medicines. You're not going to need something as strong for a cold. I guess if someone is going to overdose on something it's going to be something the can get there hands on.

-tts

new topics

top topics

join