It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Must Pay Now To Avoid Climate Disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Former World Bank Chief Sir Nicholas Stern presented a report on the relation between economics and global warming this morning. According to the report action should be taken immediately to prevent the world from experiencing a disastrous scenario.

politics.guardian.co.uk
Tony Blair today said that the world was facing "nothing more serious, more urgent, or more demanding of leadership" than climate change and that Britons must be prepared to pay now to avoid future disaster.

"This disaster is not set to happen in some science fiction future many years ahead, but in our lifetime. Unless we act now ... these consequences, disastrous as they are, will be irreversible," he said.

"Put it another way, for every £1 spent now, we save £5 in the future."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It would have been wonderful if those billions of Dollars our leaders have spent on the war on Iraq had been spent on Global Warming stabilization and space exploration.

However, Blair does seem seriously concerned about the rapidly global warming which could be seen as a turning point, while Bush rather seems to ignore the danger we face.

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com
www.thestar.com
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.theglobeandmail.com

[edit on 10/30/2006 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
We could have spent billions of dollars on "climate stabilazation" except for an under-reported study that I posted on ATS here:

ATS Thread

The study says that there is evidence that global warming (and cooling) is caused by the amount of cosmic rays hitting the earth, which controls cloud formation.

If true, it means that mankind is not to blame for these cyclical temperature fluctuations. Since mankind has no control of the amount of cosmic rays hitting the earth, it also means that spending billions of dollars on "climate stabilazation" would be about as big a waste as spending them on the iraq war.

Maybe there's a better way to spend those billions than on "climate stabilazation".

[edit on 10/30/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well I'm glad to see that the governments are starting to see
this as a real credible threat, not only to the survival of their
respective countries, but to the human race as a whole.

And even if Global Climate Change is'nt caused by us, it's still
happening, and we need to stop it.

I however am of the opinion that at the very least, 50% is are
fault.
So I'm glad to see that the leaders of the world have taken their
heads out of their asses, or atleast some of them have, which
is a start.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

Then why not invest those billions in a cosmic ray shield? At least we'd get the side benefits of an increased and improved space program. Here on earth, all these 'sky is falling' global warming alarmists seem to want to do is destroy the U.S. economy while giving the rest of the world a pass.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Maybe there's a better way to spend those billions than on "climate stabilazation".

Hopefully not on war!

Yes, it is so sad. Future generations, in their misery whithering away, will blame US of Arrogance they never cared (was paid not to) sign the 1997"Kyoto Protocol"

Only with the worlds biggest economy participating hope of change could had been achieved.

It is so damn ignorant and foolish for anyone to believe when you live in a place, you don't have to care, mend, refurnish or at least paint it every now and then, to keep it up. You just live in it till it is complete run down. Eh? Then move on...
to... ???

Yes my friend, you bet we have a heavy influence on our enviroment.

Or you think the "better way" is to spend the money on more bogus science...(paid by the oil companies) to deny what your eyes tell you, what your body feels?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The Climate change is, I am certain, a natural process. With all the stuff we dump into the atmosphere we have probably accelerated the process, however there is nothing we can do to stop the process.
This smacks of another government idea for fleecing the populace in more taxes whilst doing nothing. The biggest polluters are the big corporations, but they are protected by the very people in government that would tax the rest of us.
There are no incentives offered for energy conservation or production at the domestic level through the use of small turbines or solar energy, that would impact the big energy corps and we can't be having that can we!

It was not so many years ago that this very same Tony Blair was denying that there was any threat to us from Global Warming, the very idea of it was ridiculous. Maybe that's why he had a report suppressed, that his own government had commissioned in the first place.

It's just another case of taxation of the masses for something we have no control over.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by iori_komei

Then why not invest those billions in a cosmic ray shield? At least we'd get the side benefits of an increased and improved space program. Here on earth, all these 'sky is falling' global warming alarmists seem to want to do is destroy the U.S. economy while giving the rest of the world a pass.

On a similar note, the British government has only jumped on the climate band wagon so that they can extract more taxes from us - esentially just an excuse to make more money that they can give to themselves.

Nox

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
The Climate change is, I am certain, a natural process. With all the stuff we dump into the atmosphere we have probably accelerated the process, however there is nothing we can do to stop the process.

That's the reason why I defined it as stabilization. Global warming is a natural process indeed, yet we're accelerating it, and not just a little bit.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheNockerNox

On a similar note, the British government has only jumped on the climate band wagon so that they can extract more taxes from us - esentially just an excuse to make more money that they can give to themselves.

Nox

Thats a common misconception. If there were "green taxes", they would have to be economically neutral so that we are not taxed for taxing sake. It is supposed to change behaviour. So taxes will go up for "ungreen" behaviour and go down or eliminated for "green behaviour".

As to Centurions comments above. If this was part of a solar systme wide warming, then we can still "stabalise" the climate. It most likely isn't though and to dismiss the warnings as some way to punish the US is arrogant and stupid.

The US IS the worlds biggest polluter, followed by China and India. You guys need to do something. We, in the UK, can do our part, but let me tell you this. If the UK's entire carbon emmisions were eliminated tomorrow, in two years, China would have made up the difference.

It's you big polluters that need to start doing something and moaning that "it will harm your economy" to do anything is short sighted and arrogant. What will happen in 50 years to your economy if nothing is done? Try to look into the future instead of next weeks new Plasma screen TV or baseball game....

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
i think all these people trow Phosphorus bombs and bunker buster every where, i am not going to believe their motives.

Did you know what a launched missile can do to our stratosphere ?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well DUH!!! Its always cheaper to fix a problem before it becomes one than to wait until it does. It doesn't matter what theories you have about global warming, conservation is always a prudent policy (except to this administration). And, whether other forces besides human activity are involved in global warming or not cutting back on air pollutants is still wise (except to this administration). To put profits first is a short sighted and foolish policy (except to this administration). In the long run thanks to our failure to address the issues before us today (and yesterday), our children and children's children will pay the cost.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Oil corporations should pay everything because they hold energy free technologies or even sophisticated hydrogen technology. But no, it's always us that pay everything...

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
"Umm excuse me but war provides jobs and an endless supply of slave labor from the conquered populace. The worse off the planet is, the more consumer garbage we sell to give people the false hope of protection. We need those tax dollars!!"

Says the puppets and their master in secret underground meetings at undiscolsed locations....

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Whatever anyone thinks about the noble ecology, and its advocates, they have consistently been involved in land grabbing and other terrible things. Considering the source here as the World Bank, from the New World Order, please read "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man." There you will read about things like the "IMF riot," and other ripoffs that have happened to otherwise developing countries such as Argentina. If you read your history, Argentina was at one time a country with a strong middle class that was basically destroyed by economic blackmail from organizations such as the IMF.

So back to "climate change." These things politically have a huge price tag, so you can consider the track record here. In the end next to nothing to effect real climate change, which is due to the solar cycle more than any other explanation. In the meantime you will see the confiscation and transmission of wealth into fewer hands, along with the destruction of the middle class. We are at the precipice of a political crisis, not a climate crisis subject to change.

I am sorry to disturb you bubble of noble causes and sentiments, but there are no independent studies here, just those sponsored by the usual Hegelian approaches of "problem-reaction-solution." Their solutions are more of the same expensive things and should be read with the greatest care. Again, consider the source and the track record, and so that is my argument.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
So deriving the majority of our power needs from renemable sources, and recycling our garbage instead of dumping and burnign it is actually a bad thing? Last I checked, those actually create a hell of a lot of jobs AND help offset human impact on the planet at the same time.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Instead of the people moaning about climate change start doing what is within your own power to slow it down!

theres loads you can do & dont keep thinking that because there IS many more people not doing anything that it will be pointless you doing it, i know alot of people have become lazy asswads & cant be bothered because they are hypypnotised by the tv or playstation,try to just do it anyway, & then you make others who dont do their bit feel bad about it (do it in a suttle way) ive made people feel so bad about not doing anything that now they are- & they are now making others feel bad, so hopfully this effect will snowball through all the people they meet & so on.

Others ive noticed have been mentioning the tax/cost & trouble of going green/clean tech, yes ofcourse the goverments would find a way to tax your teeth out (as always) well if the architects of our cites buildings were made to incorperate green tech into their designs like solar roofing & other new green techniques then thats a big start on the way to a better place to live work & breathe, make it manditory for automobile manufacturors to produce hybrids electro/chem/hydro/blah blah we all know this has been done & can be done even better now & cheaper, & stop wasting metals on silly things like daft hifi units they sell in catalogs & valuable metals on cheap jewlerys etc were going to run out of these ores & then we will be recycling for years to make new things!

one big point though... when the majority of the population does not agree with the current goverment being in power why cant we just say goodbye & get someone we know will do the job right, & also why do we have to pick any of the looneys they present us with in the first place? as far back as i can remember with all the previous goverments theres always been lies, corruption, cover-ups & bogus taxs etc etc etc they just keep on finding new ways to keep us down, cheat us out of money & keep us working for the minimum wage. remember thatcher & the trickle down effect? i wasnt born then but i remember hearing about it, basicly we were to give our money to the rich & eventually it would trickle down us???? i know lame attempt at robbery, but think of the scams the goverment pulls off on us now, some are so good we dont have a clue!

its amazing that with people like Bush making so many mistakes & getting his speachs messed up (plus the dodgy election win highlighted in one of micheal moores film documentrys) that hes STILL there im sure if all the people got together theyd get rid of him, tony blair is another total waste of life.

If i was an american id be voting for Hilary Clinton, id like to see bills face if she got some "head"

check out the bbc site & goto climate change & download a cool weather prediction model, it also helps the scientists out a fair bit so thats another way you can get in on it to do your bit!
NOTE; this programme requires a fair bit of dedication, the more your pc is on & connected to the internet the more helpful it is & no your not really wasting energy in this way because its being used in a good way!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by eddie666m1980w
one big point though... when the majority of the population does not agree with the current goverment being in power why cant we just say goodbye & get someone we know will do the job right

There's this "little" document called the Constitution that lays out the process for change of power here in the U.S. It calls for congressional elections every 2 years and presidential elections every 4 years. That's how it's done. That's how it's always been done.

Sounds like you prefer a government such as Britain, France, Italy, etc. where they can call a new election any time they want. You know there's nothing stopping you from moving to one of thoses countries to live and vote ...

Oh, and got someone in mind that you absolutely "know will do the job right"?

[edit on 11/2/2006 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
But the problem is that both parties are corporations puppets... you'll see if the democrats are ``elected`` in 2008.

The corporations are hell-bent on enslaving the US people... Look at what's left of the constitution... and the health of the economy.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well centruion i am in the uk & with the way news is these days i also take some notice in american politics too, i dont like seeing you guys over there in the states get a ruff run just as i dont like it happining here,
as for finding someone i know ccould do the job right, well try someone from mensa, or a well established economic scientist,
i wouldt be suprised if you could even do the job, what with all the staff/advisors & secretarys youd have around you,
just aslong as you didnt do a bill with your female staff,
but even so we should be able in cases such as bush & others like him be able to dismiss him from office when he starts acting like he owns te globe,
he has & continues to lead the u.s.a down a dark path & toward self destruction at all levels of the sense, the economy, trade,oil,emissions,etc etc
he dosnt seem to care with what the rest of the globe is saying to him, hes not much if at all concerned with what the american people have to say either,
our chancellor gordon (pie man) brown (tonys right hand man)has been found to have commented on bush saying hes a F**king idiot
so since bush has made so many bad & protested against decisions i think its well with the americans peoples right as it is in our (the brittish) peoples right to dismiss these mofoes before they bring the house down.

im not a professional on these matters or any other for that fact, but i can see with my own eyes thing have become seriously wrong with the top men of our nations & when its the majoraty feeling that the current president/primeminister is in the wrong by this much then we are well entitled to remove them,

i guess the way your u.s. political structure is built its to make sure the peoples cant do a thing about it when the sh*t hits the fan.

i guess you remember bush's drive to the whitehouse when he was elected, he was pelted with eggs & stayed in his bullet proof limo the whole way, whats that all about? even the election win itself was amazing, all the other stations said kerry got florida state then because fox or someone said bush got it the rest all changed thier storys? whats happining there dude?

new topics

join