It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousand of US Weapons Missing in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Thousands of US made weapons have gone missing in Iraq. The Pentagon spent $133 million on the weapons intended to supply Iraqi security forces with. Since the Defense Department only registered less than three percent of the 370,251 weapons it provided, tracking will not be an easy duty.

www.usatoday.com
WASHINGTON (AP) — Thousands of weapons the United States has provided Iraqi security forces cannot be accounted for and spare parts and repair manuals are unavailable for many others, a new report to Congress says.

The Pentagon cannot account for 14,030 weapons — almost 4% of the semiautomatic pistols, assault rifles, machine guns, rocket-propelled grenade launchers and other weapons it began supplying to Iraq since the end of 2003.

Missing from the Defense Department's inventory books were 13,180 semiautomatic pistols, 751 assault rifles and 99 machine guns

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It really is a shame how both US and Iraqi authorities are managing administrative duties. How is it possible that such blunders occur time after time.

Not so long ago a stock of 200.000 AK-47s and an amount of 500,000 US Dollars.

Related News Links:
www.theglobeandmail.com
www.slate.com
www.presstelegram.com
www.voanews.com

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It seems that our own government is having a hard time tracking the inventory of their weapons in Iraq.

Specially the ones supplied to the Iraqi forces.

Can I get a free weapon from the military? it looks like a free give away of our tax dollars.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Looks like somebody in higher places likes to keep things hot and bloody in Iraq.

Reminds me of the old adage 'fool me once, shame...'

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
A questions to military people on this board - mismanagement of arms like that -- is that a court martial offense?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The missing weapons are probably related to the missing millions.

Corrupt Arms Deals Cost Iraq $800 Million
Forbes - Oct 23, 2006

What happened to the missing $800 million in Iraq?
Capitol Hill Blue, VA - Oct 22, 2006

Iraq's Allawi Says $1.2 Billion in Army Funds Stolen and Wasted
Bloomberg - Oct 23, 2006

Rumsfeld to Generals and Contractors:
Welcome to new Iraq, democracy you say?
Screw that , it's a kleptocracy and time polka on the folka!

[edit on 31-10-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I guess all the stuff about DARPA developing the RFID chip for tracking stuff was bs then? Technology that is hardly being put to military purposes, as it was designed to do.

Impinj readies rollout of chips for RFID tracking
Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle) - October 31, 2003

RFID technology is like a next-generation bar code. But unlike the 30-year-old bar-code systems that now track inventory for retailers, the military and many others, the new RFID chips can hold more data and can communicate remotely by sending and receiving radio signals.

...Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, validated the demand for the RFID sector by announcing it will require its top 100 suppliers to use the technology to track inventory by 2005.

Impinj landed a multimillion-dollar grant from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, the central research facility for the U.S. Department of Defense.

Colleran was tight-lipped on the details of the company's work with DARPA.

"We're developing next-generation components for high-performance communications,"

source

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It is absolutely ridiculous. I was watching this on CNN yesterday and about the hundreds of millions millions. God!

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I will hazard a guess that 13,000 pistols would be a difficult job in loosing, as there would be a rather large amount of boxes?

Unless it was our little way to aid the insurgents? To continue the civil war? Or maybe our super power army sucks at record keeping, inventory keeping.. I mean, lets not forget the billions upon billions it was announced they lost right before 9/11.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Thousands of US made weapons have gone missing in Iraq.

Missing were 13,180 semiautomatic pistols, 751 assault rifles and 99 machine guns

that's assuming those arms were actually shipped to & received in Iraq

(perhaps ?lost? en route thru; London, Tel Aviv, Brunai, Kuwait...)

Then again, Homeland Security & (one can imagine) a secret/covert
super delta-force gestapo with a mission to root out the many sleeper cells
in the Homeland needed to obtain an armory...
& those numbers in your post sound about what would be needed by that force!

=> 13,180 pistols +751 assault rifles +99machine guns...note the absence of RPGs

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

that's assuming those arms were actually shipped to & received in Iraq

(perhaps ?lost? en route thru; London, Tel Aviv, Brunai, Kuwait...)

I've not been able to find any sources confirming the weapons have been gone missing in Iraq or somewhere else. I did found the following source however:

That's right, according to government watchdogs, more than 13,000 Glock semi-automatic pistols, 751 assault weapons and almost 100 machine guns cannot be accounted for in Iraq, raising the possibility that they may have fallen into the hands of insurgents.

Source

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

I've not been able to find any sources confirming the weapons have been gone missing in Iraq or somewhere else. I did found the following source however:

That's right, according to government watchdogs, more than 13,000 Glock semi-automatic pistols, 751 assault weapons and almost 100 machine guns cannot be accounted for in Iraq, raising the possibility that they may have fallen into the hands of insurgents.

Source

appreciate the follow up,
but this actually points out that this is actually a paper trail...

the 'missing in Iraq' determination is/was not based on anything like
the firearms being physically inventoried in the Iraq theatre
then Later 'discovered' as missing.
...the arms are only existing & them missing on paper, at the end point (Iraq).

it could very well be clerical error or deliberate false trails, or imaginary ordinance ?!?!

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I will hazard a guess that 13,000 pistols would be a difficult job in loosing, as there would be a rather large amount of boxes?

I don't know man I remember reading about how the Army lost a tank a while back and that was during a training exercise in the US! How does one loose an 80 ton main battle tank

Its not to comforting to know that US weapons could be used against US troops

I wonder how often weapons are stolen by US troops and shipped home for personal use afterwards?

[edit on 1-11-2006 by warpboost]

top topics

join