It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children Again Sewing Clothing for Wal-Mart, Hanes and Other U.S. Companies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yes I remember the Kathy scandal but right now you see that no much fuss is made over anymore.

Beside we have been out source and nobody cares.

Even brand names and expensive brands are also made in third world countries.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Thanks for the reminder about the movie The Corporation. It has also been available on DVD for the last year. It makes a great teaching tool.

As Muaddib points out, problems like the caste system and other types of discrimination have been going on for a long time, so what do we do about that?

A Buddhist friend of mine in the U.S. visits India each year to receive teachings with various Tibetan leaders. Muaddib's above comment reminded me of something my friend just wrote about:

"Tomorrow I hope to visit a leper village. Lama Zopa is trying to destroy the concept of the colony and replace it with a treatment and rehab center to help them heal and regain their self esteem. They spend their lives as outcasts from their homes and even families only because of ignorance. Even the Buddha spoke out against the concept of untouchables 2,500 years ago but old habits die hard."

My life choices so far have included downsizing my economic consumption to a "need" level, shopping for clothing at non-profit thrift shops (my favorite thrift shop chain devotes its profits to AIDS programs), registering to vote as a political independent, and working in a literacy-promoting direction.

There are things that corporations are good at, and things that they can never do. The "never" items evidently include compassion and sharing. Corporate charters were given in the first place by governments. Those charters and and should be amended and limited.

One more story before I end this posting: In India, before the era of the British Empire, there existed a cultural phenomenon known as "running amuck." This always began with some Indian person who would suddenly start to act very strangely, talking incoherently to no one in particular, then getting very angry, rushing about, and finally grabbing some sword or other weapon and start trying to hack away at people, resulting in their killing and injuring all people within reach. This was a known and accepted problem in India for a long time. Then the British took over India (they started by establishing commercial trading posts.) and rather quickly issued an edit: "There will be no more running amuck. Anyone found to be running amuck will be executed by the British authorities." What was the result of this edict? Running amuck immediately ceased, then and ever since.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
That's a completely deplorable act.

Forcing young kids like that to work is a horrid act in itself, but
the environment they're forced to work in, it's sickening, out
right deplorable and an unforgiveable offense.

posted on Nov, 5 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
They can always quit, are they slaves or workers?

Because if you say they can quit, that means they have the job because they want/need the job, and if that company didn't exist, they would starve.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
And all due respects to you to, lets me demonstrate the connection between Shrinking poverty and Growing economies.

Bangladesh has made impressive gains in reducing child malnutrition rates during the last 15 years. According to Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) data, the rate of stunting for children in the age group of 6-71 months which was 69 per cent in 1985/86 dropped to 49 per cent in 2000. The proportion of underweight children has gone down from 72 per cent in 1985/86 to 51 per cent in 2000. The Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) data available for the second half of the nineties show a faster decline. The rate of stunting for the age group of 0-59 months has gone down from 55 to 45 per cent during 1996-2000 and, that for underweight, from 56 to 48 per cent during the same period

And what caused this improvement, Charitable work, Population control and Foreign Investment.

Bangladesh nationalized most industries in 1972 and set up nine corporations to oversee them. In the mid-1980s, the Bangladesh government began relaxing its policy toward foreign investment and announced a program granting tax holidays to new foreign investors.

I maitain, i hate child labor, that is an issue for the Bangladesh Government.

And slightly off topic, Our World is overpopulated, over polluted, intollerant and this is all fuelled by the economic System, The catastrophic consequences Global Warming and other issues are now barrelling down on us like an out of control locomotive.

- The red type was very impressive, but does nothing to hold your point. I do not think you are for child labour, and I hope you don not think I am against business. Nor am I against forgien investment. However, it is little secret how those "loans" are done, and some nations can never get out from under the IMF's "help". That is blatently unfair, and worse, in some cases, those poor coutnries were made poor by the same people that will "offer to help" them out of their rut, as long as they play ball.... That is crap, and I assume you'd agree with that.

The bank is not doing you favours by lending you money are they? So why do you think it would work another way internationally where there is less regulation and less chance of the public finding out?

When you give - give, no strings attached. Unless it is with no strings, it is not a gift, you are not helping anyone, and it should never be thought of as you are.

In this light - it is clear that when multinations come to a country, they seldom leave it a better place.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
They can always quit, are they slaves or workers?

Because if you say they can quit, that means they have the job because they want/need the job, and if that company didn't exist, they would starve.

Ofcourse, when the system makes saving seeds and harvesting rain water illegal. Think of it this way. Many people live in an environment that can produce all the food they would need - but the politicians get envious of the wealth of other nations so they want the corperations there because they will benefit through extortion..errr...taxes, and the corperations will benefit because they get a cheap labour. Why would the people work if they didn't have to? Because the two partners will make things like saving seeds, or harvesting rain water, or collecting salt illegal - to force people to have to need/want to work for something that if it wasn't for the corperations and corrupt politicians would be free for the taking.

Externalities my friend...externalities.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
how sad indeed....
the last time iw as in my mlocal walmart, about a year ago, i was buying socks.. and looked at where they were made. not a hayens fan. Fruit of the loom, pakistan, and some older stcock, wre made in mexico or india. Jerzery's made in pakistan or afghanistan...
i rememerb a time up to the mid 0's when they ll woulda said, made in america******
under these conditions, sahme of them, Hayens, fro allwoing kids of before peubrty no less, to have straight on grwon up lessons... along with the beatings.
Effin company could easily pay them that at least 36 cents an hour. I personlly, think we shuold send hayens, fruti fo the lom, ect emails stating were gunna tell EVERYONE online and of, abuot this. unless things change..

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join