It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese UAV/UCAV

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Are these planned projects or concept models from companies? Anyway, those canards do look as if they are meant to swing, hence the curve at the end.

it's a concept design that the company is plans for its future plane development, but it's not yet a planned project.

[edit on 10/31/2006 by warset]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Are these planned projects or concept models from companies? Anyway, those canards do look as if they are meant to swing, hence the curve at the end.

good spot Westy, I missed that point. They look as if they are meant to operate in the same way as the F-14's old retractable canards. Now if the wing did the same trick we might have a UCAV that is extremely difficult to intercept, on account of it going so bloody fast!

edit - not that I'm slow on the uptake or anything, but I think I just got planemans F-14 reference

[edit on 31-10-2006 by waynos]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by warset
it's a concept design that the company is plans for its future plane development, but it's not yet a planned project.

Not to sound too belligerent but you know this how?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
That UCAV looks awesome- I want one

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Was this a model show or something like that? Was there any real craft there that actually fly or indicate that the development has been completed?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   
aha...I come from china,I have take a bit photo.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by warset

Not to sound too belligerent but you know this how?

that's the information release on the Zhuhai 2006 airshow, which is happening right now.

a lot of new things are being demonstrated, including guided bombs, new cruse missile, new anti ship missile, moon viecles, new helicopters.

this year's Zhuhai airshow demonstrates a lot of new things chinese made.

[edit on 11/1/2006 by warset]

posted on Nov, 4 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   
If some people are wondering, some of these UAV had already been made into mock-ups a few years back and these are now only now been displayed/declassifed

See the thing under the cruise missile
forum.keypublishing.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
So they copied a global hawk design and also made a model from the aurora photo that Pop-Sci did a few yrs ago. Come on China, is it possible to invent something of your own for once?

Train

posted on Nov, 7 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTrain
So they made a model from the aurora photo that Pop-Sci did a few yrs ago. Come on China, is it possible to invent something of your own for once?

...that's one of the most retarded response....

hey kid, do you even know what the aurora looks like or does it even exist?

copying from a magazine picture?

[edit on 11/7/2006 by warset]

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
This solar powered UAV was shown last year as a concept which seems to have developed into prototype form

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Heres oe of the UAVs which was flown at Zhuhai but was televised

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
gotta hand it to you china, they are some real good finds in a good thread.

Not been in the aviation forum for a while, but seeing some thing like this makes me think i should drop by more often.

Those Chinese sure have been busy with their tech development... but some are blatant rip offs though even i can see that... apart from the beauty of a hypersonic design..

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
Chengdu's UAV/UCAV at am earlier event

It looks like this variant is at the testing stage now

www.fyjs.cn...

v.youku.com...=.html%3C/a

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

The darksword looks like an hypersonic plane may be this engine can be futur scramjet?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It does not surprise me at all to see China investing into UAVs and UCAVs. Interestingly enough, their industry is almost inverted compared to the United States - our industry has made itself competitive on the global market through superior alloy control, production practices, and reduced employment costs through automation. China has been competitive on the global market by using cheap labor and producing products with lower quality-control standards (their higher quality industry is not competitive with western industries that have more experience); their higher-quality industry is primarily used for internal purposes (which no doubt includes the military).

Why automation? China is approaching a population collapse - they will not have the luxury of being able to train and pay a large manned army/air force/navy.

China has the facilities necessary to compete with any American and Soviet or Russian design. They don't quite have the experience or some of the more advanced materials (some of the composites and RAM we use) - but you don't need those to build high-performance aircraft.

As for the designs provided, they appear to be rather reminiscent of many western designs - which is, again, not surprising. The Chinese have made their economy off of taking what other countries have done and tweaking it to meet their needs.

The difficult part for the Chinese will come in with the jet engines for these designs. China is still quite a few steps behind the rest of the world when it comes to jet engines. Additionally, the avionics for these birds will be a bit of a stretch for them. They possess the capacity to produce the avionics necessary (even the avionics supporting some complex datalinking/networking), but the design and implementation are as much an art (experience) as a process.

At this point, Low Observable is not much of a concern and is a bit of a waste as far as the Chinese are concerned - both the Russians and the Americans (and the west, in general) has the upper hand in experience defeating such measures - it's a waste of resources for them to invest heavily into low-observable productions (designs are one thing - production models are another).

All in all - China is showing the world that it's no longer the Soviet Union's step child and is more than capable of fielding a competitive military from its own mind and facilities. They still have a ways to go... but they are closing the gap at a rate that should be grabbing the attention of the Western brass. Another arms race is knocking on our door.... and with China's need for resources only increasing and their labor pool about to take a serious hit in the next few decades from their population control methods..... I don't think it's a challenge we can afford to ignore.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Xianglong UAV Being Developed By China
October 23, 2008

Xianglong Chinese UAV China is reported to be developing a new UAV that's similar to the U.S.' RQ-4 Global Hawk. The Chinese aircraft is the Xianglong (Soaring Dragon) and is about half the size of the Global Hawk. The Xianglong weighs 7.5 tons and has a 45 foot wingspan as well as a .65 ton payload. The craft's maximum altitude will be 57,000 feet and it's range will be 7,000 kilometers with a faster cruising speed than the RQ-4.

The Chinese Xianglong is intended for maritime patrol, as is a U.S. Navy model of the RQ-4. The Xianglong recently conducted taxi-tests, which was the first time the UAV was shown to the public. The shorter range of this UAV is apparently attributable to the lower capabilities of the Chinese aircraft engine industry. Flight testing will begin next year, and the Xianglong may enter limited service in 2-3 years. The U.S. Air Force is currently buying the B version of the RQ-4 Global Hawk UAVs, at a cost of $58 million each. This version is larger than the A model, with a wingspan that's 15 feet larger at 131 feet, and the UAV is four feet longer at 48 feet. Plus, the B model can carry an additional two tons of equipment. To support the increased weight, there's a new generator that produces 150 percent more electrical power. The RQ-4 has a range of more than 22,000 kilometers and a cruising speed of 650 kilometers an hour. The image was captured from a video broadcast on the Chinese Internet.

www.satnews.com...

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

[edit on 31-10-2008 by chinawhite]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I hope you, as always, will take the honours of showcasing Zhuhai 08 here Chinawhite?

www.airshow.com.cn...

EDIT: year goofup..

[edit on 2-11-2008 by Daedalus3]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I hope you, as always, will take the honours of showcasing Zhuhai 08 here Chinawhite?

I was going to let it slide this year as I dont really have the time. But its up now

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Its good to know that China's plastic model aircraft industry is doing well. When does the "Testors" people start shipping it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join