It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acoustic refrigeration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I did a google search on the ats forum and was suprized to not find anything on acoustic refrigeration.
Here is a link if you are interested:
en.wikipedia.org...

Ice cream anyone?

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Your thread reminded me of something I read about anechoic tiles that are used on subs convert sound into heat which is used onboard
After reading through your link I realize this is completely different technology, but along the same lines

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Cool stuff. There is also electronic devices that change heat into electrical current. So you could go from sound to electrical current with a few intermediary devices.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Ignore this post.

[edit on 1-11-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well rather common and naturally occurring substances, exhibit the piezo effect, can convert vibrations into electricity. And the electricity could be used to power a semiconductor cooling device.

(hereby stated Patent Pending 2006 by smirkley, unless a pre-existing patent already exists.
)

Piezoelectricity

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Piezoelectricity is pretty cool stuff. There are numerous ski and snowboard companies that use piezoelectric crystals to turn vibrations or chatter into light by illuminating a small led on the deck of the ski/snowboard which smooths out the ride

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
There is a company out there that tried to use Piezo technology installed in "non-lethal and otherwise" projectiles. Dont think it went anywhere and alot of money was lost by investors I bet on that deal when the Australian stock went further south. I think they were hoping for big government contracts to finance it all. But the idea was the person being shot, or hit (as in rubber bullets), would receive an additional shock along with the function of the projectile on the target person.

(google cache is awesome, ain't it
)

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Nano-piezoelectric technology combined with embedded solar cells could eventually power extremely energy efficient palmtop devices like GPS and PDA's which are based off of Optronics or Spintronics rather then Electronics with EInk displays and Flash Memory(ei, solid state parts that require very little energy and have no mechanical moving parts)

[edit on 31-10-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I've seen it done on a CNN science and technology segment years ago. The researcher used an ultrasonic emitter that wrapped around a pvc pipe like a doughnut. As he pushed air through the pipe with a simple fan, the ultrasonic waves rapidly cooled the air to freezing. The ends of the pipe frosted over and it was blowing a nice foggy blast of cold air. I don't even think the length of tube was more than 2 feet long and about 3 inches in diameter, which shows how fast this thing could cool air. Room temp at one end, and freezing at the other end.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Damn, I was thinking of a different system, one that used Microwaves. Now I feel silly for ASSuming this was that.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Very interesting read. I believe in the future sound will be involved in a range of things from home appliance to weapons of war.

I heard that the government is working on a non lethal weapon that uses extremely high frequency sound waves to give the sensation that one is being burnt in all areas that the wave covers. However I have no links to back up my claim.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey
I heard that the government is working on a non lethal weapon that uses extremely high frequency sound waves to give the sensation that one is being burnt in all areas that the wave covers. However I have no links to back up my claim.

Never heard of sound doing that, but the government is working and
has created a weapon that utilizes microwave beam technology to
cause the feeling of intense burning on the skin immediately when
turned on, and dissaptaes when the beam is taken away, does'nt
actually do any real damage, but it's very painful.

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey

It sounds like you're thinking of the LRAD (long range acoustic device) I don't know if it creates a burning sensation or not
but I'm sure that its not comfortable to stand in the beams path, and apparently it can permanently damage hearing on high power settings

The equipment weighs 45 pounds (20 kg) and can emit sound in a 15 to 30° beam (only at high frequency) from a device 33 inches (83 cm) in diameter. At maximum volume, it can emit a warning tone that is 150 dBSPL (1000 W/m²) at 1 metre, a level that is very capable of permanently damaging hearing, and 50 times the normal human threshold of pain (120 – 140 dB). The design range extends 300 to 500 metres

You can read more about it here

en.wikipedia.org...

www.atcsd.com...

[edit on 1-11-2006 by warpboost]

new topics

top topics

join