It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Control

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Hi everyone, i'm a christian and i have a certain problem with the sin of lust that i can't seem to overcome. no matter how hard i i try i just seem to keep failing. if any of you are good at self control, please share some of your tips for avoiding temptation. thanks

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Here's an idea:

Get out a piece of paper, make two columns. In the first column, write down a list of reasons why you don't want to be lustful, and the negative consiquences of acting on your lust. In the second column, write down all the good things about, um, abstaining from lustful thoughts and actions, and write down the positives about being lust-free. Maybe add in a few bible verses that will inspire you.

Keep the list in your pocket, and whenever you feel tempted, take it out and read it over.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
lust is merely misconstruded love.

fornication is the physical manifestation of love. we were curious about love, but somehow got stuck maybe thinking that physical love was love.

true love is knowing the inner voice of a person. true love is looking into their eyes and doing these things while accomidating both their needs and their wants:

1) can you truly acknowledge them for who they are?
2) can you truly recognize them for who they are?
3) can you truly accept them for who they are?
4) can you truly love them for who they are?

know your intentions. they are what causes you to manifest unneccesary uncomforatble feelings in your life. if you fear loosing a friend, and refuse to admit to yourself that you are only afraid of losing them, then how can you fix that fear if you deny your own truth? and if you deny yourself your own truth, then how effective are you of truly knowing anyone else, when you refuse to know yourself?

Actions and behaviors are a byproduct of your intentions.

but before we can truly do any of the things listed above, we must first truly know ourselves:
1) what makes me angry, and why?
2) why do i really "hate" anyone?
3) what is fear?
4) how effective is my fear of serving others i think i love?

i know other tips, but for now i think this will direct you in the right direction.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Prayer. I don't know if you are a Catholic, or at least familiar with the Catholic practice of praying the rosary, but that is what I would recommend. There is great power in the rosary for helping to build virtue in a person. Purity is a great virtue for a Christian to possess, and one of the greatest helps in attaining that virtue is the rosary. Try it. You may be greatly surprised.

But if you don't want to pray in the tradition of Catholics, then say the Lord's prayer at least half an hour everyday. THE KEY IS TO PRAY. Prayer draws grace from God to yourself and that strengthens you in virtue. Pray often...the Lord's prayer. May God bestow His grace upon you.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Hi everyone, i'm a christian and i have a certain problem with the sin of lust that i can't seem to overcome. no matter how hard i i try i just seem to keep failing. if any of you are good at self control, please share some of your tips for avoiding temptation. thanks

I would bet that if you had one testicle surgically removed that you would have no problems dealing with "lust". But that would be a bit extreme wouldn't, there are other ways of dealing with it though

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hi thehumbleone

The best practice for bachelors for staying in Chastity, is daily Pranayama.

Pranayama is a Yoga method of breath control, which Transmutes the sexual energy, and sends it to the brain and the rest of the body so that it doesn't over-flow from the sexual center.

In other words: We train our body and mind to send the sexual energy inward and upward through the spinal column, instead of downward and outward of the sexual organs like the common fornicator.

The original Gnostic and Coptic Christians knew of this practice, as well as some of the early Church Fathers and also, the Christian Desert Fathers:

It is very rare to find people whose Intelligence is in a state of stillness. Indeed, such a state is only to be found in those who through their whole manner of life strive... by guarding the Intellect and by inner watchfulness... Watchfulness cleanses the consciousness and makes it lucid. Thus cleansed, it immediately shines out like a light that has been uncovered, banishing much darkness. Once this darkness has been banished through constant and genuine watchfulness, the consciousness then reveals things hidden from us.

- St. Philotheos of Sinai, from "Forty Texts on Watchfulness," 9th or 10th century

The sexual energy, it is taught, is fuel for the Consciousness.

This is why Chastity is stressed in all the Great Religions, because one of the main goals of Religion is to Awaken the Consciousness.

The problem with most modern sects of Christianity, is that they supposedly teach about Chastity; however, they don't give the lay followers the practices in order to actually achieve it.

It is impossible to defeat lust by simply suppressing the sexual energy.

On the other hand, fornicating certainly won't help the situation either.

That is why Transmutation is the best way to go.

You could type the word Pranayama into the following two searches...:

www.gnosticteachings.org...

www.gnosticteachings.org...

...and you'll find a variety of Pranayama practices to choose from that best suit your needs.

If you are married, you can Transmute in the Sacred Sexual Act with your spouse.

Just don't reach the orgasm, as the orgasm is fornication and sin against the Holy Spirit.

So your Alchemy sessions might have to be short at first, that is until your body gets use to not reaching orgasm/fornicating.

But the Transformation of Impressions is also very important whether single or married.

The Transformation of Impressions

Conscious attention excludes all of that which is called identification. Fascination comes when we identify with people, things, and ideas. Fascination produces the sleeping of the Consciousness.

...Let us suppose, for example, that an individual sees a provocative woman and he does not transform the impressions. The result will be that these impressions, of a lustful type, naturally, produce the Desire to possess her. Such desire comes to be the mechanical result of the impressions received, and it crystallizes, it takes form in our psyche. It is converted into one more Aggregate, that is, into an inhuman element which constitutes the Ego in its totality...

...Lust. I already said that different forms of lust have reached us in the form of impressions, that is, they arose in the interior of our mind as images of an erotic type whose reaction was lust. Since we did not transform those lustful waves, those impressions, that lustful feeling, that unhealthy eroticism, naturally, the result does not make us wait very long for it arrive. The result was completely mechanical: new "I"s were born in the interior of our psyche, morbid "I"s...

If we are married, we don't want to commit adultry in our Hearts by looking lustfully at other people.

If we are single, we do not want to cheat on our future spouse by looking at others lustfully.

Yoga (Sanskrit) union. Related to the Latin Religare.

"The soul aspires for the union with his Intimate, and the Intimate aspires for the union with his Glorian." from The Revolution of Beelzebub

"All of the seven schools of Yoga are within Gnosis, yet they are in a synthesized and absolutely practical way.

There is Tantric Hatha Yoga in the practices of the Maithuna (Sexual Magic). There is practical Raja Yoga in the work with the chakras. There is Gnana Yoga in our practices and mental disciplines which we have cultivated in secrecy for millions of years. We have Bhakti Yoga in our prayers and Rituals. We have Laya Yoga in our meditation and respiratory exercises. Samadhi exists in our practices with the Maithuna and during our deep meditations.

We live the path of Karma Yoga in our upright actions, in our upright thoughts, in our upright feelings, etc." - from The Revolution of Beelzebub

"The Yoga that we require today is actually ancient Gnostic Christian Yoga, which absolutely rejects the idea of Hatha Yoga.

We do not recommend Hatha Yoga simply because, spiritually speaking, the acrobatics of this discipline are fruitless; they should be left to the acrobats of the circus." - from The Yellow Book

You can also Transmute through Fine Art, Classical music and traditional religious music of Tibet, India, Arabia, Coptic Christianity, etc., physical exercise, self-less service to others, and many other ways of creative expression.

Regards

[edit on 30-10-2006 by Tamahu]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
In fact, this FAQ sums it up very well:

What is transmutation?

Transmutation is a transformation of energies, and specifically this refers to the transformation of the sexual energy. The base sexual energy exists within the hormonal secretions of the endocrine system, as well within sperm and semen. In esotericism, semen refers to the sexual secretions of both man and woman, and is also referred to as the Ens Seminis.

This Ens Seminis can be transformed into an extremely vivifying energy that is literally the cornerstone of the great work of self-realization. All the effects of sexual transmutation culminate into a type of spiritual stimulation that can produce true, fundamental, psychological change.

Samael Aun Weor often speaks of psychological revolutions. A revolution only occurs by destroying the decaying norms of the past while simultaneously forming a new creation. In Hinduism, the divine couple of Shiva-Shakti is the creator-destroyer, and they are often posed in tantric union. Likewise, only the sexual energy can create and destroy, and this is related not just with the physical, but as well with the psychological.

In its essence, the key of self change lies within the transmutation of creative energy, because only it can create a spiritual nature within. Unfortunately, many devout aspirants are unaware of this tremendous reality, and thus it is inevitable that those who do not practice some form sexual transmutation will find themselves stagnant and unable to overcome their own personal vices and defects.

Testaments to this fact are all the lamentable stories related to celibates in schools of Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, etc., etc., that do not know how to control their own sexual energy (the Holy Spirit), and thus they either suffer endlessly from wet dreams or take up the vice of masturbation. These problems can only be resolved through the science of sexual transmutation.

Any devoutly spiritual act is fueled through transmutation, thus meditation, mantra, prayer, etc., are complements of the transmutation of sexual energy. Nevertheless, it is necessary for single persons to employ the practice of specific pranayama exercises in order to take advantage of the otherwise latent sexual energy. Those who are married should perform sexual magic, as this is the definitive method of sexual transmutation.

More info:

What about celibacy? Did not all the great spiritual teachers practice continence?

Regards

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
all i can say is

shock & drop em

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, all of your tips and knowledge have been very helpful. I get really pist sometimes because it seems like my libido is stronger than my self will and its always like i'm at a constant battle with myself trying to control my lustful desires.:bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
That is because the Libido, the Power of Creation itself, is much stronger than the mind, and much stronger than blind-faith.

The Sexual Energy itself(the Holy Spirit) is not the problem though.

It is ourt lustful minds which mis-direct that Sacred Energy that is the problem.

Conscious Faith is the gift of the Holy Spirit when we Transmute.

Fornicators have to settle for blind-faith.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   

It is ourt lustful minds which mis-direct that Sacred Energy that is the problem.

i agree, i always try not to think of a person with lusful thoughts but i always find these impure thoughts seeping in there somehow. do you think it is possible to release this energy into another activity, such as playing the guitar.

[edit on 30-10-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I don't know how old you are but testosterone and male hormones in young men are mighty powerful juices that are best dealt with in natural human ways with out the guilt.

Aren't you supposed to be forgiven anyway?

thehumbleone must play adifferent kind of guitar than I do. Playin my strat thru my blues jr. makes me horney as an old billy goat.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I don't know how old you are but testosterone and male hormones in young men are mighty powerful juices that are best dealt with in natural human ways with out the guilt.

Aren't you supposed to be forgiven anyway?

thehumbleone must play adifferent kind of guitar than I do. Playin my strat thru my blues jr. makes me horney as an old billy goat.

i'm an 18 year old male and i'll tell you what, i have a libido that would make Gene Simmons looks gay. LOL!!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
18, your'e supposed to have a strong sexual drive at that age. Mother nature likes to insure the continuation of the species.

It's a shame in my opinion that natural human drives have to be sublimated because of guilt. I guess that's the "cross" that most young men have to "bear"

Bless your heart son and good luck.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Give yourself a few daily tugs or get yourself a girlfriend who likes a seeing to and have at her. As long as your not harming anyone else, why live by someone elses rules, when you can enjoy yourselves.
Abstinance in males causes anger through testosterone increase - get rid of it and be happy and content.

G

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I get really pist sometimes

You have told us that you are a christian. Could you give further info as to what you mean by that. In other words, how do you know you are a christian?

The above sentence has me wondering a little.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

i agree, i always try not to think of a person with lusful thoughts but i always find these impure thoughts seeping in there somehow. do you think it is possible to release this energy into another activity, such as playing the guitar.

If you read my posts in this thread, you'll see that all this was answered in some detail.

Regards

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   

You have told us that you are a christian. Could you give further info as to what you mean by that. In other words, how do you know you are a christian?

The above sentence has me wondering a little.

when i say i am a christian, that means i believe that Jesus Christ lived, jesus christ died, and jesus christ rose from the dead. it also means that i believe jesus christ was god incarnate and died for my sins. you know, the basic beliefs that make a person a christian. why are you questioning my beliefs anyway, this post is about helping me overcome personal problems, not about why i'm a christian. are you gonna help or not?

[edit on 31-10-2006 by thehumbleone]

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Give yourself a few daily tugs or get yourself a girlfriend who likes a seeing to and have at her. As long as your not harming anyone else, why live by someone elses rules, when you can enjoy yourselves.
Abstinance in males causes anger through testosterone increase - get rid of it and be happy and content.

isn't that considered the sin of Onan, besides, don't you think i could get rid of testosterone by doing something else, like exercising?

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   

isn't that considered the sin of Onan, besides, don't you think i could get rid of testosterone by doing something else, like exercising?

Well if you want to live YOUR life by someone ELSE's rules then go for it mate, be a sheep, a slave to someone elses lifestyle. Live your life the way that makes you happy and middle finger up to the rest. You only get one shot at life, this is not a dress rehearsal where you can change what you dont like and try again, get out there and live a lot!!!!

G

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join