It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brian Greene, String theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
www.pbs.org...

Many of you may have heard of this theory, for those who haven't I have a link of the interview with Brian Greene...

Here is some of the interview, just so you can get an idea.

"Greene: Sure. One of the strangest features of string theory is that it requires more than the three spatial dimensions that we see directly in the world around us. That sounds like science fiction, but it is an indisputable outcome of the mathematics of string theory. So the question is, where are these extra dimensions? One suggestion is that they're all around us, but they're small relative to the dimensions that we directly see and therefore are more difficult to detect.

What the theory also predicts—not necessarily but possibly—is that energy can escape from our known dimensions and leak into these extra dimensions under appropriate circumstances. Those appropriate circumstances might be generated in high-energy collisions that will take place at the new atom smasher, the Large Hadron Collider.

So it's possible that through these high-energy collisions we will find that there is less energy at the end of the collision than there was at the start. If the energy loss is of just the right sort, it could be very strong evidence that the energy has seeped off into these extra dimensions. If that were true, if that were the best explanation we could find, that would be strong evidence that the extra dimensions are real, and that in turn would be strong evidence that the framework of string theory is correct."

[edit on 29-10-2006 by T_Nexis]

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I have read Elegant Universe and am currently reading The Fabric of Spacetime. He is very good at explaining things but it is still hard for me to grasp some stuff. Wouldn't it be out of control if Branes did exist?! I would recommend both of these books to all who are interested in this type of thing. You will also get a good history lesson as well, it's not all strung out.

new topics

join