It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call For Flag-Burning Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Britain's most senior Muslim policeman has urged the Government to criminalise flag-burning in a move to crack down on extremist protesters.

Tarique Ghaffur, a Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner, also wants demonstrators to be banned from covering their faces.

Mr Ghaffur says police are seen as being too lenient to extremist demonstrators and wants greater powers to arrest protesters seeking to inflame tensions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.sky.com...

I have to say, im not sure where to stand with this one. Yes, i know this is aimed at extremists, but Muslims are not the only ones who burn flags and cover their faces.

Anarchists, Communists and others tend to do so when going to protests. Plus, they tend to burn flags too (mainly the United States).

But is the flag burning only aimed at the Union Jack, not all flags in general?

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   

posted by infinite

Britain's most senior Muslim policeman has urged the Government to criminalize flag-burning in a move to crack down on extremist protesters. Mr Ghaffur says police are seen as being too lenient to extremist demonstrators and wants greater powers to arrest protesters seeking to inflame tensions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to say, im not sure where to stand with this one. Yes, I know this is aimed at extremists, but Muslims are not the only ones who burn flags and cover their faces. Anarchists, Communists and others tend to do so when going to protests. Plus, they tend to burn flags too (mainly the United States). But is the flag burning only aimed at the Union Jack, not all flags in general? [Edited by Don W]

Over here, presently, the act of burning a flag is the equivalent of “free speech” so says our Supreme Court. This was decided in the late 1960s, when flag burning was popular. OTOH, with the last 4 appointees to the Court, that could change should a similar case work its way up to that level.

I served 5 years in the US Air Force, 3 years in the AF Reserves and 2 years in the Army National Guard. I have Honorable Discharges from all three. I think I can speak as a patriotic citizen when I say, I don’t give a dam about burring a flag. It is sort of self limiting, as flags do cost money. Plus, the impact tends to be diminished if you burn too many flags at one time. Or do it too often. So, all in all, I say it’s a lot to do about nothing.

Over here it’s mostly Right Wing Extremists - of which the US is oversupplied - get the most outraged over flag burning, but remain perfectly calm over the 100 children who are murdered or starved every day in Darfur. Their logic escapes me. Their tears are pure crocodilian!

[edit on 10/29/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I think this is looking to create a problem that needn't exist really.

Personally I could care less.

It's a colourful rag; I know how I feel about it, go ahead & invest what meanings you like in it by all means but it's still just a colourful rag.

I'm not roused to strong emotions either way.

I find the idiots who get excited enough to invest all sorts of hateful emotion in burning it as laughable as those who invest all sorts of 'love' emotion in it and who get all hateful towards those burning it when they see it burned.

I certainly think there are more important issues in the world to be thinking about and I certainly don't want our legal system choked with idiots who know they'll get a particular response if they torch 'the flag'.

IMO if we don't go out of our way to make it a problem it really won't become one.

[edit on 29-10-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
i know this might sound odd,
but to me, its just a piece of material.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
i know this might sound odd,
but to me, its just a piece of material.

As in cotton bunting.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I totally agree flag burning should be banned, If there was a group of white people burning a Pakistani flag there would be chaos.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by g60kg
I totally agree flag burning should be banned, If there was a group of white people burning a Pakistani flag there would be chaos.

that has happened before,

NF marches use to burn flags now and again, no one really cared.

its just a flag.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by g60kg

that has happened before,

NF marches use to burn flags now and again, no one really cared.

its just a flag.

it doesnt happen now, back then the ethnic minorities didnt have a voice and the government were not PC enough to care or show people they care

posted on Nov, 1 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Not really sure why it should be banned. I don't particularly like seeing the Union Flag being burned (and it's rare when this occurs), but in the interests of freedom of speech and all that I think it's essential that this remains legal.

Also, you've paid for the flag and the matches (which will be taxed). You contributed to our economy, and your taxes go into funding our nation... so thank you

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Link to related thread.

new topics

top topics

join