It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Wildfires Set By Arsonist Sparks Anger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
On Thursday, four California Division of Forestry firefighters were killed when the wildfire they were fighting overran their location. The fire, located in Southern California, had been influenced by the potent Santa Ana Winds until early Saturday. The firefighters were overran when a U. S. Forest Service blowtorch gust overran the crew of five and their firefighting apparatus.

www.cnn.com
The anger is fueled by their belief that arsonists are responsible for the wildfire that has killed four firefighters and left one fighting for his life. More than 1,000 people are still putting their lives on the line battling the blaze that's burned nearly 24,000 acres near Palm Springs.

The five-man crew that got overwhelmed by the fire had plenty of experience --each with five to 25 years fighting fires. Today, every guy on the front line is thinking, "That could be me."

One firefighter told me, the winds just kick up and all of a sudden you're surrounded by a wall of intensely hot flames. He said that's his worst nightmare. To be trapped in some remote canyon, with no way out.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If arsonists are behind this, they should be found and punished to the fullest extent that the law in the State of California will allow. I believe that murder charges do need to be brought against this person or persons responsible. This is an act that is irreprehnsible in nature. Nor should this act go unpunished as well. I need to mention this also, but there is still a fifth firefighter fighting for their life in a burn unit somewhere.

These people that are responsible need to come forward and admit to their wrong doing. The sad thing is that this person, or group of people, may get off with a slap on the wrist. It can happen if their lawyers plead that "Pyromania" was the cause of this. These people were smart enough to do such a thing like this, then they should face their punishment.

For the sake of the fallen firefighters families, these people really need to come forward and admit to their henous act. By now means, would it ease he pain that these four families are going through right now. It will take years for the California Division of Forestry to mentally recover from this. Unfortunately, I hate to say this, but this case may go nowhere. Thoughts and prayers are needed for the firefighters and their families.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Anger Over Cali. Wildfire Set By Arsonist

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I doubt that this could be a slap on the wrist.

In fact I think that accoriding to the patriot act, and HR6616. this person or persons, could be charged as terrorist's.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
That is what I have been thinking though, but them getting off could happen. I just hope it doesn't end like that for the victims families. If it does, throw their lawyers in jail for copping a plea bargain.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

If arsonists are behind this, they should be found and punished to the fullest extent that the law in the State of California will allow

Ok agreed.

The real question is>> Assuming it was arsonists that started the blaze, why are they burning natural habitat instead of big busniesses?? I much rather see them burn a McDonalds to the ground.

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
If arsonists are behind this, they should be found and punished to the fullest extent that the law in the State of California will allow. I believe that murder charges do need to be brought against this person or persons responsible. This is an act that is irreprehnsible in nature. Nor should this act go unpunished as well. I need to mention this also, but there is still a fifth firefighter fighting for their life in a burn unit somewhere.

These people that are responsible need to come forward and admit to their wrong doing. The sad thing is that this person, or group of people, may get off with a slap on the wrist. It can happen if their lawyers plead that "Pyromania" was the cause of this. These people were smart enough to do such a thing like this, then they should face their punishment.

For the sake of the fallen firefighters families, these people really need to come forward and admit to their henous act. By now means, would it ease he pain that these four families are going through right now. It will take years for the California Division of Forestry to mentally recover from this. Unfortunately, I hate to say this, but this case may go nowhere. Thoughts and prayers are needed for the firefighters and their families.

Here in Calif (as is probably in most states) arsonists, if caught, can get charged for the entire fire fighting costs. That is one of the reasons CDF keeps record of every single person, every piece of equipment (down to each handheld radio) and overhead costs (food/water/etc) for each fire. Normally if they get caught they face arson charges along with whatever the total $$ cost is for the fire. Normally these people can't pay the multi-million dollar fee but having that judgement against them you can squeeze whatever money possible out of them.

In this sad case, the arsonist(s) can be charged with murder ... reckless endagerment or depraved indifference would be pretty easy to argue in court. Setting a fire during a high fire danger time when temperatures are still hitting high 80's in a forest setting ... doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that this is going to make a huge fire and there are going to be a lot of people potentially in danger. Sure his defense team can argue any mental condition they want ... but as long as he can differentiate between right and wrong he's screwed ... I don't see a jury having much sympathy simply because he's a fire bug.

The trick is finding the person. Obviously in a case like this CDF and Sheriff investigators will be going over every piece of evidence they can locate and probably calling in arson experts to assist them. What will probably break this type of case is a friend or family member who has some suspicions about someone and calls in an anonymous tip.

Hopefully they find the sicko behind this.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Since this did involve state employees, wouldn't the C.H.P. and the State Attorney General's office be involved in the investigation also? Up here, only the State Fire Marshall and the State Police get involved in fires that involve fatalities. Only in the rarest of cases will the State A.G.'s Office get involved.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Since this did involve state employees, wouldn't the C.H.P. and the State Attorney General's office be involved in the investigation also? Up here, only the State Fire Marshall and the State Police get involved in fires that involve fatalities. Only in the rarest of cases will the State A.G.'s Office get involved.

The CHP is the primary state level law enforcement agency ... however in California most of the penal code laws are enforced by the individual sheriff departments (which for the most part are well funded). CHP primarily enforces vehicle code on any roadway outside of city juridisction, does dignitary protection and will investigate any crime occuring on any state owned property or in a state owned/leased building .. there are a few exceptions to the rule and they may assist in the investigation since it did involve state employees. The CHP absorbed the "California State Police" sometime in the 90's but even they didn't typically investigate capital offenses ... they were responsible for the dignatry protection and state building stuff that CHP took over.

The State FIre Marshall probably will get involved and I'm sure any agency in the state is more than willing to lend whatever expertise is neccessary.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
It's a guarantee that the state fire marshall will get involved because the victims, fifth one died on Tuesday, were firefighters. Plus what wil screw this arsonist over is that he will be charged with a Federal offense. Right now, the police do have a person of interest in the case in custody.

new topics

top topics

join